Blount Magical Lake Michigan July 2013

BayStateguppy

Hi. It's been a while since I've done a trip report. (It's been a while since I've taken a cruise.) But I decided to write a report about my latest adventure because there was so little information out there when I did some pre-cruise research.

Blount Magical Lake Michigan June 29th - July 6th

An 8 day cruise up one side of Lake Michigan and down the other.

magical-michigan_map-sm.jpg

As usual, it was the port of calls that sold us on this trip. Unlike anything we had ever experienced before, me and DH were ready for a unique vacation. I booked a cabin in April 2013 and was immediately given an offer of a free pre-sail stay on the boat with dinner & breakfast included so of course I grabbed it. I was warned that we would be the youngest on board - early 50s. But I'm not sure if that ended up actually being true - there were one or two younger people - but the average age onboard was about mid 70s. This ended up not being an issue at all. Our fellow passengers are what made this cruise what is was.

Excursions are booked individually once onboard but can be done in advance only if you purchase all of them. We decided to do this as they all seemed fun and saved us the trouble of trying to decide what to do and what to see at each stop.

We arrived in Chicago on Friday June 28th with an scheduled sail day of Saturday June 29th.

Our boat....

We would be sailing the Grande Mariner. It only holds a total of about 98 people - passengers and crew. Here's a ship review if you're interested: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=263

zv8kzp.jpg

Be forewarned - quarters are tight. But it's all part of the experience. :)

We stayed in Cabin 80 B. It had a double bed and split shower/toilet. It was mighty cozy but we managed.

4gm5iu.jpg

33bdblv.jpg

2quus7t.jpg

Our cabin opened out onto the outside deck but most opened to an inside hallway. This wasn't an issue at all unless it was raining - which it did - hard - but we survived.

I can only put 6 pictures in each post so I'll continue this in a bit.

View from right outside of our cabin

30nj1o8.jpg

i6mkp5.jpg

We met a few other early arrivals at dinner that evening. Meals are served family style and casual throughout the cruise which was fun and relaxing. We were served chicken marsala and homemade pineapple upsidedown cake - very good.

Later we walked around Navy pier a bit, saw a free comedy show, dodged the raindrops and found a liquor store because the cruise is BYOB! This was new for us and saved us a lot in onboard charges. Wine and beer are complimentary with lunch and dinner but cockail hours and after hour drinks are on your own - though the cruise does provide mixers. So with a bottle of Captain Morgan and a twelve pack of beer safely stowed, we settled in for our first night onboard.

2hf1boy.jpg

DAY TWO

Breakfast was served at 8 am. Scrambled eggs, sausage patties, fruit, bacon and plenty of it. There is muffins and fresh fruit available for late risers who miss breakfast as I would a few times during the trip.

We set off to tour Chicago, bought tickets for the Hop On/Hop Off trolley (John the tour guide/driver was fabulous)

2sadycj.jpg

We have been to Chicago before and already visited the typical tourist spots. This time we went to the River Museum which just opened in 2006 or something and was just ok. Chicago is a great city to explore though and we found plenty to keep us busy.

Back onboard - when passengers get on and off the boat, a crew member marks their departure/arrival on a board.

jtl0xy.jpg

The rest of the passengers arrived throughout the day and that night was a Welcome Dinner of pork and turtle cheesecake - a bit sweet but delicious. Then came the usual Muster which everyone here is familiar with. Then came an announcement...

:eek:

There would be a delay. Storms had created windy conditions and stirred up waves up to 10 ft on the lake. This would make for a very rocky sailing and the captain decided that we would set sail on Sunday night at midnight instead of tonight at 9 pm. We were all very disappointed but had seen the waves for ourselves and knew that this was probably a good call.

So we would have one more day in Chicago - not so terrible, right?

Edited by BayStateguppy

welcome home! Who was your Captain?

Roy

Hi Roy! Thank you :) Our captain was Captain Mike, a really great personable man. The entire crew was just fabulous and really went out of their way for us all. I know people say that all the time but it was true here.

That night the ship had some onboard entertainment in the lounge. We walked around Navy Pier again instead but I wanted to show the lounge as this is the usual meeting place and we would a lot of time here reading, socializing, etc.

2q3rwbm.jpg

The bar area in the lounge. This is where you store your beer, wine, etc and mix drinks or get soda. It got a lot of use. :D

2zi1y5u.jpg

DAY THREE - Sunday

Breakfast for you foodies (you know who you are ;)): raspberry pancakes & ham.

We met a lovely couple onboard who were from the area and offered to take us on a driving tour so we were treated to a personalized tour of Chicago and even Michigan City - their hometown. I had a hotdog and "beer" at Carlsons. A very local thing to do I was told.

That night was the Captain's Dinner. People were dressed a bit nicer - skirt, khakis and collared shirt - but nothing fancy and definitely no ties or heels.

There was delicious appetizers and open bar in the lounge. Capt'n Mike introduced himself to everyone individually and then addressed the group ...

Due to ongoing rough water conditions, we would not be sailing tonight. We would not be sailing tomorrow night. We probably would not be sailing until Tuesday night at midnight. And due to this late sailing, we would not being going to the intended ports of calls. We would sail directly to Mackinac Island and then back again. So one port of call and two "sea" days.

:(

Understandably, we were all very disappointed. Yes, some were angry but most were determined to make the best of it. The weather is the weather and no man controls it. So we all made our way down to the dining room - beef tenderloin and strawberry shortcake - yum.

Two more days in Chicago ...

More ship pictures ...

This is the back area of the boat. This was a good outside place to sit if you couldn't get up the stairs to the top deck, if it was too windy or if you smoke.

2nrzlt0.jpg

Top deck. This was a great place to watch the action happening street side.

34pz5ms.jpg

DAY FOUR - Monday

Breakfast - spinach quiche, bacon, homemade blueberry scones. fabulous.

Two couples left. Everyone else decided to wait it out. But many had arrived a day or two early to see Chicago before the cruise and were at a loss of how to spend these next two days. Blount graciously took us all on the local Architecture boat tour. It was a great and interesting tour - Jeff the commentator was really good.

2jdq429.jpg

Note the wheelchair. Loading and unloading a tour this size and this frail was time consuming. I only point that out because you should be prepared for a slow pace. We personally were never bothered by it but some might be.

After lunch, Blount again treated us to another boat ride. This time on the SS Windy - a sailing ship with tales of pirates on the Great Lakes.

egv1g8.jpg

DAY FIVE - Tuesday

Blount treated us to a bus tour of Milwaukee. This was a shortened version of the Saints & Sinners excursion that was featured for that port of call. A comfortable bus picked us up at the dock and took us to Milwaukee in about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I have to mention how great the tour guide, Kay, was. She was a wealth of local knowledge, entertaining, cute as a button and DH and I enjoyed her a lot.

First stop: Basilica of St. Josaphat

(not my picture)

2hp4uwg.jpg

I'm not normally a fan of church tours but this has a fascinating history and was beautiful to boot. Kay made it come alive for us which probably helped a lot.

33yqpu1.jpg11kxkzn.jpg

We stop for a box lunch at the grounds of the Art Museum, timed so well by our bus driver and tour guide that we managed to see the "wings" close and open again at noon.

9kosxt.jpg

Next Kay whisked us (well, ok, we shuffled ^_^) to The Brewhouse - a recently renovated brewery now transformed into a beautiful hotel/restaurant/bar. We were treated to samples of local beer - very good - and freedom to wander as we liked. Really nice hotel. The details were amazing.

See those lights up the stairs? Those are the hotel guest rooms. Cool, huh?

11j3l7t.jpg

The white clean renovated bldg and the old dirty vacant bldg. It's wonderful that these are being restored and utilized again. I would make it a point to go back should I ever return to Milwaukee (which very well may happen as we liked it so much)

212ffrb.jpg

6 pictures. Time for a new post....

Next stop on the tour was ... more free beer! Oh, and cheese.

epq645.jpg

2q2qxvs.jpg

cheese, salami type stuff, pretzel bread and even chocolate cheese! It tasted just like fudge.

yjcd2.jpg

DH & I walked around the Riverwalk for a bit where they are trying to breathe some life into their waterfront. It was new and nice. Then the bus took us past Miller Park, Home of the Brewers. Then back to the ship for dinner and more onboard entertainment - a singer whose name escapes me right now but his jokes and stories were fun.

And then ...

we set sail!!! About 11pm, an hour early. DH & I joined a few hardy - and very excited souls - on the top deck to bid goodbye to Chicago.

2u784gh.jpg

nb5d2p.jpg

It felt good to be underway. The passengers were full of good beer, good cheese and good spirits. Over the last few days, we had developed a camaraderie, shared laughs and good food and gotten to know one another a bit more so that it felt like a club as opposed to just a group of travelers. This must be something that is unique to small cruises because I never experienced this on any of my larger cruises. These were very nice people and I looked forward to spending a sea day or two with them.

With that in mind, we sailed past the breakwater and into the open water of Lake Michigan ...

It was really rough out there! Captain said conditions were "lumpy" LOL We were rocked and rolled all night long! hahaha DH & I were thoroughly enjoying yet another first time experience - we came for an adventure and we certainly got one! Luckily no one got sick or hurt and when morning dawned, we were in calmer waters.

After being on the recieving end of lumpy waters on the Grande Caribe I know what you are talking about we had 12 hrs of the lumpy seas on the east coast

Those boats are not made for open waters

After being on the recieving end of lumpy waters on the Grande Caribe I know what you are talking about we had 12 hrs of the lumpy seas on the east coast

Those boats are not made for open waters

Hi LHT28! You are so right. They are not designed for rough conditions - they have a flat bottom or something - and this is why we were delayed. Everyone agreed that the captain made the right call by delaying the cruise. We probably would've made it to the first scheduled stop if we left earlier but the passengers - some who were very frail - would've probably been seasick or worse. Experienced travelers know that you have to be flexible sometimes and this was just one of those times.

btw Thanks for letting me know someone is reading this. It's hard to tell sometimes. :)

Enjoying your report

We were clinging to the bed most of the night & the purser was bounced out of hers on our voyage a few yrs ago

The food was good the crew were nice & the passengers were the highlight

there were only 29 of us

As for the rest ...no comment :rolleyes:

Baystate.......just wanted to say I'm reading this and enjoying it immensely. We did Magical Lake Michigan in 2011. Fortunately, no bad weather or delays but sounds like your group definitely bonded in the less-than-ideal circumstances. Looking forward to the rest of your review! Later.........

Enjoying your report

We were clinging to the bed most of the night & the purser was bounced out of hers on our voyage a few yrs ago

The food was good the crew were nice & the passengers were the highlight

there were only 29 of us

As for the rest ...no comment :rolleyes:

Oh my! :eek: alol Now that's an adventure! This is why capt'n wanted to leave late at night - so everyone would be in bed and, hopefully, safe. But yeah these boats don't handle lumpy conditions smoothly. I don't believe we were ever in any danger though. The Dramamine was being distributed generously though :D

Baystate.......just wanted to say I'm reading this and enjoying it immensely. We did Magical Lake Michigan in 2011. Fortunately, no bad weather or delays but sounds like your group definitely bonded in the less-than-ideal circumstances. Looking forward to the rest of your review! Later.........

Thank you Suitcasefull! I am jealous. We were told that this had never happened before - just unlucky, I guess? I do think that my group was pretty special :cool: We had a lot of laughs.

Maybe ... if you are interested ... you could review your trip? Or even just the parts that will be skipped over in this report like the ports we didn't go to? I know I would be interested in reading about what we missed out on. No pressure though. ;)

Edited by BayStateguppy

I enjoyed reading this! You sure know how to make lemonade out of lemons, and I'm glad most of the rest of the passengers did, too! We've done a lot of sailboat cruising (the smaller triple-masted sailing cruise ships with 12-40 passengers) in the Caribbean. Now THAT can be "lumpy"! It's great sailing/cruising most of the time because you're so near the islands, but if you need a long sail from one island to the other, you can certainly get lumpy, because you're out in open ocean water for a time. Fortunately, that only happens, if at all, maybe once a cruise.

We're now looking to try a cruise in the states and that's why I started reading this thread. We know nothing of Blount cruises and have been looking at American Cruise Lines. We are in early 60s, but no slowdowns of any kind, just looking for a little adventure and a chance to see/explore more of the US via boat. I was interested to read about the age group on your cruise because while I don't mind all ages, we're not into a cruise where we're surrounded by folks who are more interested in just sitting, on the boat or on a bus. We want to be able to explore, maybe take some excursions that involve an ATV, etc. Your report has me a bit intrigued, and I'm going to do more research on Blount.

I enjoyed reading this! You sure know how to make lemonade out of lemons, and I'm glad most of the rest of the passengers did, too! We've done a lot of sailboat cruising (the smaller triple-masted sailing cruise ships with 12-40 passengers) in the Caribbean. Now THAT can be "lumpy"! It's great sailing/cruising most of the time because you're so near the islands, but if you need a long sail from one island to the other, you can certainly get lumpy, because you're out in open ocean water for a time. Fortunately, that only happens, if at all, maybe once a cruise.

We're now looking to try a cruise in the states and that's why I started reading this thread. We know nothing of Blount cruises and have been looking at American Cruise Lines. We are in early 60s, but no slowdowns of any kind, just looking for a little adventure and a chance to see/explore more of the US via boat. I was interested to read about the age group on your cruise because while I don't mind all ages, we're not into a cruise where we're surrounded by folks who are more interested in just sitting, on the boat or on a bus. We want to be able to explore, maybe take some excursions that involve an ATV, etc. Your report has me a bit intrigued, and I'm going to do more research on Blount.

SailorJM, I can't be 100% sure, but based on your history you seem to be a better candidate for Blount's Caribbean itineraries than the ones around the US and Canada. They are very focused on water activities, particularly swimming and snorkeling. The age of the passengers there is similar to the Northern cruises, but the focus is different. A lot on the passengers look really old and feeble but generally come alive once they get in the water. Most of Blount's passengers gravitate to one itinerary or the other and only a few regularly do both.

With respect to the age issue somewhat tangentially I'll mention that the ships have no elevators. Most elevators require a working space above or below for machinery, and these ships are designed for the Erie Canal with something like an 8 foot water depth and 17 foot bridges. A maximum of 25 feet from keel to top doesn't leave a lot of space. There are stair chairs between the dining room and lounge and between the lounge and the upper deck. They do work pretty well but cause a minor delay to other traffic when they are in use.

Roy

Thanks, Roy.....that is some good info to ponder.

We've been sail cruising with a number of folks in their 50s-80s, but all have been hearty, adventuresome souls who are looking to go beyond a bus ride to tour a church or a mall. More interest in actual exploring, on land and in the sea. Kayaks, ATVs, Hobie cats, hiking, snorkeling, etc. So yes, it may be back to the Caribbean or Costa Rica/Panama via the windjammer-style ships.

Hi Sailor! Yes, the ages definitely skewed more to elderly and we had our share of frail but they were a delightful group of sorority sisters who vacation together every year and DH & I grew to adore them. This was a well traveled group who, while getting older every year, have no intentions of stopping. But no, there was no hiking or ATVs and the activity level was low so you should do your research before booking anything.

DAY SIX - "Sea" Day

Our first "sea day" dawned calmer than when we left Chicago but a bit foggy. It didn't matter though. Being underway was such a thrill.

1zyhklt.jpg

Still a little choppy though. It got progressively calmer the further we sailed. Now is probably a good time to mention the bread alol. Everyday we were treated to a different kind of fresh baked bread. Oh and the soups! Did you know that Blount has a food division? I didn't either but apparently it is quite successful and I know why. Their soups are sooooo good. You would be surprised to learn which well known restaurants serve Blount soups.

We enjoyed a relaxing day of reading, socializing, a movie. I had brought along a DVD player and used it to catch up on some tv shows. If you're not a reader, you really need to bring something to entertain yourself with just in case. There was sign ups for excursion at Mackinac Island and of course that cruise staple of Bingo - prizes being Blount gear and wine.

We passed the Bluffs of Michigan or Point Betty - not sure if one or the other or even both is correct.

2lddlxj.jpg

Other than that we didn't see anything. Not a boat or a shoreline. It was sometimes hard to believe we were on a lake.

Dinner was Celebration themed with champagne and rack of lamb/Snapper & shrimp scampi. Or in my case, both as I had the lamb but meekly asked for a taste of the shrimp and was brought a full serving :) We played a fun game called LRC (Left, Right, Center) and I know this will probably sound like the quintessential old fogy type of game but it was a pass a dollar til there is a winner type of game. Well, it was fun and we laughed a lot and cheered loudly for the winner. I guess we're easy to please? :D

Then we were treated to a pink sunset while we sipped cocktails on the top deck. Not such a bad vacation after all.

ev4z9s.jpg

Captain Mike said we would be stopping at St. Ignace island to fuel at 6am and those who wanted to could disembark for a bit of a stroll. DH and I jumped at the chance to explore and set our alarm for bright and early.

Thank you Suitcasefull! I am jealous. We were told that this had never happened before - just unlucky, I guess? I do think that my group was pretty special :cool: We had a lot of laughs.

Maybe ... if you are interested ... you could review your trip? Or even just the parts that will be skipped over in this report like the ports we didn't go to? I know I would be interested in reading about what we missed out on. No pressure though. ;)

I would believe that this hadn't been that bad before; sounds like just bad luck. Probably couldn't do an adequate review after this length of time but will try to add some thoughts about the ports you missed after you've finished.

Didn't realize they provided soups to places! I do remember Donovan creating great soups and bread when we were on! Wish he were going to be chef on our trip but surely the "other guy/gal" is good, too. Donovan was just so great!

Looking forward to your next posts.

DAY SEVEN - 4th of July! St Iggy and Mackinac Island

Well, no need for an alarm clock. We could hear and feel when the boat docked and shut off the engines. Up before the alarm, we threw on some clothes and raced (quietly lol) to the gangplank.

27yzbx3.jpg

The day promised to be warm and sunny. While the crew took care of the boat's needs, we explored St. Iggy.

It was a ghost town at that hour of the morning most likely due to the holiday.

2ykcf2d.jpg

But what a pretty place and what a pretty sunrise.

34622om.jpg

It reminded me a lot of New England and the coast of Maine. We strolled to the lighthouse with a few other couples, most of whom then went on their own to keep exploring.

rw04ep.jpg

Right in front of the lighthouse is a tiny park. This is where we met "Princess" Raven, the most famous (and pampered) dog in St. Ignace and her owner who, it turns out, knows the entire history of the island back to the very beginning and enthralled us with her stories of Indians, Chief Wawatam and colorful local characters.

rr16xt.jpg

St Iggys - Land of beautiful views, friendly people (and dogs) and "free" shuttles for only $15.

rhsu13.jpg

Now we were really excited for what treasures Mackinac Island had in store for us!

We had a very busy day ahead of us. This is the activity board, updated daily and posted in the hallway on the way to the lounge. Breakfast was waffles and sausages.

65379v.jpg

It was very foggy when we first got to Mackinac but that would burn off and the day was just about perfect. There were loads of ferries arriving one after the other each packed to the gills with tourists.

2ptyzdd.jpg

2ug1l5e.jpg

We took several of these Mackinac Island Carriage tour horse drawn taxis up to the butterfly house.

2rfwvvm.jpg

2s7yhbc.jpg

And then onto a great guided tour that included Arch Rock and old cemeteries. The guides were very good.

Edited by BayStateguppy

The island was so pretty all dressed up for the holiday.

e9g6cp.jpg

idbtpe.jpg

Lunch was a holiday cookout on the top deck with hamburgers and hotdogs and all the fixins. The top deck was prime seating for island and people watching.

Next we walked up to the Grande Hotel for our tea. Just so you know before you take the walk, the hotel charges $10 to look around and sit on it's famous porch. It was included in our tea but you'd be surprised the amount of people who willing paid it.

vymknm.jpg

The tea was lovely and delicious but rushed with all courses coming at once. The hotel tour before the tea was just ok. I think I would've like to spend more time exploring the town.

2u7x0te.jpg

This is the Mariner. Tonight's fireworks would be shot from barges to the left of that white building. We had the best seats in the house thanks to the top deck.

ncmmbc.jpg

Or even just the parts that will be skipped over in this report like the ports we didn't go to? I know I would be interested in reading about what we missed out on. . ;)

I am sorry you missed the tour at Holland, MI. We really enjoyed the day there, especially the working Windmill Museum area (best fudge ever -- ordered some later for gifts!) Our costumed guide was sweet, funny and very good. Would like to go there in spring when the tulips are blooming! Were only on Beaver Island an hour or two so didn't see much. Impressed me as a place you'd go if you definitely wanted to get away from it all. I kind of liked it and was sorry we were so rushed.

Enjoyed Sturgeon Bay and tour of the tour of Door County and would like to spend more time up there, too. The locks at Saulte Ste. Marie and the tour of a big ship which name escapes me now were interesting. Not much in the town on the US side but we walked all over and there are some pretty spots. Will be going back there on this trip but probably will just nap after we go through the locks unless they've come up with something.

Sounds like you saw what we did in Milwaukee although some on our trip took a tour of the Harley Davidson plant (a representative had brought a fantastic bike and given a very good history of HD as our entertainment at noon) We did not go to the Brewery hotel or church; maybe this time.

Thanks again for the review and the photos that brought back fun memories. You definitely saw more of Chicago; we just took a water taxi to the Field Museum.

Well after all is said and done I just may get to Holland after all. DH is really pushing to give this cruise another try next year. Don't forget, this was "his" vacation and he still wants to see the ports we missed. I'm just so scared that we'll have bad luck again! :eek: LOL

If we do go, I would book for the 4th of July again. It was so much fun watching the fireworks from our top deck.

5l9mjq.jpg

rbn0ab.jpg

Best seats on the island :)

I have to mention the kayaking. The boat has kayaks and a kayak guide/instructor Jock who leads tours at different stops (when the waves aren't 10 ft high obviously lol) At Mackinac Island, Jock led 3 tours throughout the day. We joined him on the 7pm tour with an experienced kayaker and a woman kayaking for the first time. The paddling was smooth and easy, we saw a loon and her babies and really enjoyed ourselves.

As you can tell we packed a lot into our one port day! :D We had a relaxing "sea" day on the return trip. The water was much calmer. Played a Ladies vs Men trivia challenge the last night that was a lot of fun (Ladies won). Said some bittersweet goodbyes. Had a quick and easy disembarkment and taxi ride to the airport.

103csx3.jpg

*sigh*

So it wasn't the vacation we had planned but it wasn't a disaster either. We enjoyed ourselves. Our fellow passengers were delightful (we are still passing photos to one another!). The crew couldn't have done more to make us happy and comfortable. Blount did all they could to make up for the delay and missed ports. I guess it was one of those "It is what you make it" moments?

Still I don't think this cruise is for everyone. if you are expecting spacious, luxurious accommodations, onboard activities, privacy lol then you should probably look elsewhere. This is a casual - really casual - cruise for independent highly social people. It's a specialized niche sort of cruise that definitely won't appeal to everyone but if it piques your interest then you're probably going to love it.

Like I said, DH is ready to book this same cruise again right now so he can see what he missed. I would book with Blount again but I'd prefer a different itinerary. But I'll probably cave and let DH have another shot at it. I'll come back and share some pictures, ok?

Thanks for reading!