Has Anyone Been To Novgorod?

gkkapp

This will be our third Baltic cruise including St Petersburg. We have done tours with Alla and Spb so we have seen all the major sites twice. Thinking of doing something different this time. Has anyone been to Novgorod? Is it worth a visit? I realize it is outside of St Pete about a 2 hr drive but it would give us a chance to see some of the countryside. Looks like there are some interesting churches there plus a open-air exhibit of old wooden buildings and churches (Vitoslavlitsy). I am interested in Russian icons and this is the birthplace of this type of painting.

If you have been there did you use a tour company and if so, which one? We would do this on our first day in port so getting back to the ship on time would not be a problem.

For the second day we are thinking of doing a walking tour in the central area so we could see Church on Spilled Blood etc again. The problem with this is that it will 12 June, a Russian national holiday. Has anyone been there on this date and did you have problems getting around, large crowds, parades etc.

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

This will be our third Baltic cruise including St Petersburg. We have done tours with Alla and Spb so we have seen all the major sites twice. Thinking of doing something different this time. Has anyone been to Novgorod? Is it worth a visit? I realize it is outside of St Pete about a 2 hr drive but it would give us a chance to see some of the countryside. Looks like there are some interesting churches there plus a open-air exhibit of old wooden buildings and churches (Vitoslavlitsy). I am interested in Russian icons and this is the birthplace of this type of painting.

If you have been there did you use a tour company and if so, which one? We would do this on our first day in port so getting back to the ship on time would not be a problem.

For the second day we are thinking of doing a walking tour in the central area so we could see Church on Spilled Blood etc again. The problem with this is that it will 12 June, a Russian national holiday. Has anyone been there on this date and did you have problems getting around, large crowds, parades etc.

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

I visited Veliky Novgorod (Novgorod the Great) last year. I loved it - IMHO it definitely worth a visit - the Kremlin is amazing. I booked a private tour with Alla Tours for my visit and had an amazing time. If you are a bit of a history buff, you would love it.

I can't help with the June 12th issue as I have never been to Russia in June. Hopefully, someone with June experience will chime-in.

dogs4fun-

Just the person I wanted to hear from (or any of the other regular St Pete visitors :D). I am sure we will love it!!! Didn't think of Alla as going there. I have booked marked several tour companies that offer tours there. We used Alla on our first visit and were very happy with the tour so will add them to the list. I have several antique Russian icons and would love to see some of the famous Novgorod ones.

Did you go to Vitoslavlitsy? We think that would also be very interesting.

Thanks for your reply.

<<<Karen>>>

dogs4fun-

Just the person I wanted to hear from (or any of the other regular St Pete visitors :D). I am sure we will love it!!! Didn't think of Alla as going there. I have booked marked several tour companies that offer tours there. We used Alla on our first visit and were very happy with the tour so will add them to the list. I have several antique Russian icons and would love to see some of the famous Novgorod ones.

Did you go to Vitoslavlitsy? We think that would also be very interesting.

Thanks for your reply.

<<<Karen>>>

Yes, and we took photos like mad fiends! :D There are several wooden houses that you can actually enter (they even contain period furnishings) - very interesting. It is located only a few miles from Novgorod and is simply lovely to stroll through. Don't miss it if you visit Novgorod. I particularly loved the wooden churches with the onion domes. There are photos of some of the churches & structures on their website: http://www.visitnovgorod.com/sights/museum_wooden_architecture_vitoslavlitsy.html

We visited in the fall and had the place almost entirely to ourselves.

Wow - antique Russian icons? I think some of the icons are stunning but I am not an expert and own none.

Edited by dogs4fun

I'm not an expert either but I have done a bit of reading and research. I bought my first one in Helsinki during our first Baltic cruise, 2010. Purchased another one in Tallinn on our second, 2013. Last March I snagged one here at home at an estate sale. Got there early to get a low number for entry, I was #9. Ran to wall it was hanging on and grabbed it :D. I also have several that I purchased in Greece. They are new but beautifully done. I do like the Russian one better, though.

Hopefully, someone will answer my question about 12 June.

<<<Karen>>>

• 2 weeks later...
It’s my dream to visit Novgorod when I go to Russia again. I find it really fascinating to see a medieval Russian city! I love Russian operas and expect it to be like opera stories coming alive J. Is one day enough to see Novgorod?

Yes, I think one day is adequate.