Dress Codes on Royal Caribbean

Just wondering if anyone going on Royal Caribbean recently recalls how the dress codes were typically for an 8 night cruise. I am off on Radiance of the Seas this Thursday and am not overly keen on packing formal attire due to hotter destinations we are going to.

If anyone could describe dress codes and what people wear that would be great.

I know it is subjective for Australians and that a ship sailing in Europe or South America is bound to have much better dressed passengers than based in Australia. So I don't want to overdo it. Even walking past the bars and restaurants at the Opera House I have seen much better dressed people than I have ever seen on an Australian based cruise.

So don't hold back on observations. If people see it as casual then let me know and I will go casual and leave all my formal gear at home and just take some jeans and trousers. If people are dressing heaps casual I am happy to go with that.

Just wondering if anyone going on Royal Caribbean recently recalls how the dress codes were typically for an 8 night cruise. I am off on Radiance of the Seas this Thursday and am not overly keen on packing formal attire due to hotter destinations we are going to.

If anyone could describe dress codes and what people wear that would be great.

I know it is subjective for Australians and that a ship sailing in Europe or South America is bound to have much better dressed passengers than based in Australia. So I don't want to overdo it. Even walking past the bars and restaurants at the Opera House I have seen much better dressed people than I have ever seen on an Australian based cruise.

So don't hold back on observations. If people see it as casual then let me know and I will go casual and leave all my formal gear at home and just take some jeans and trousers. If people are dressing heaps casual I am happy to go with that.

I disagree about other areas having "much better dressed passengers" than Australia.

You can always dine in the buffet restaurant if you don't want to dress up on formal nights.

From memory, though, the formal nights weren't rigidly formal, at least on Rhapsody, but it may vary by ship.

You could get away with chinos, a lightweight jacket (DH has a couple from Gazman that are great for hot climates), and a tie.

It also depends on where you are going and the clientele if that cruise line.

The islands such as Fiji ect I found was much more casual dress with RCI but RCI Sydney to Singapore was more formal after 5pm when people dressed for dinner

I find people over 50 tend to be more nicely dressed than us bogans under 40..... (Standing back for flaming to commence)

Hi Brisbane41, I am just in the process of packing for the same cruise. It's our 4th time to the islands, and third with Royal. Smart casual would be as dressy as I get. Packing sundresses, skirts and shorts, with 1 smart dress for myself. Shorts and 1 pair of chinos with polo/Hawaiian shirts for Hubby. The weather will be much too hot and humid to make much of a fuss about formalwear. I hope this helps, A.

Just got off Voyager. I think the dress code slips as the evening progresses. If you are early fixed dining, we talked to a fellow that had to go back and get long pants on. Then we went along to My Time Dining that evening at about 7.45 and there were people being let in with thongs and shorts. As has been said on here before, it it up to the host to determine the code.

Every day in the compass there were references to the dress code and no flip flops or shorts, but the reality is that they don't want to upset too many people.

We still like dressing for formal night. Also there was a lot of well dressed people every night. I think for anyone that does want to dress up, then you will not feel out of place, but yes, each year the dress code has been relaxed, particularly in My Time Dining areas.

In my experience, most people follow the dress code and it doesn't matter where the cruise is going, the length of the cruise or what the nationality of the majority of the passengers were. The buffet, room service and the specialty restaurants are always available.:D

Thanks for input. Put it this way. I own a $600 suit that I would normally take. I am probably thinking of not taking it at all and just sticking to smart casual. After all if the dress code is not enforced then there is no point taking dressy clothes. Going to the islands at this time of year is way too hot to be getting dressed up.

I was on Arcadia back in 2012 and remember endless announcements during its World Cruise sector about passengers not being welcome in any public areas below decks if they were not going to follow the dress code.

For the islands I am just happy to go casual and avoid the formality.

Thanks for input. Put it this way. I own a $600 suit that I would normally take. I am probably thinking of not taking it at all and just sticking to smart casual. After all if the dress code is not enforced then there is no point taking dressy clothes. Going to the islands at this time of year is way too hot to be getting dressed up.

I was on Arcadia back in 2012 and remember endless announcements during its World Cruise sector about passengers not being welcome in any public areas below decks if they were not going to follow the dress code.

Enjoy your cruise.:D

You won't hear any announcements about the dress code. If a man turns up at the dining room in shorts and thongs it is very likely one of the head waiters will tactfully ask him to change into long trousers and shoes. Every time I have seen this done, it is done discreetly.

I think you indicated you would wear long trousers and a shirt rather than taking a suit for formal nights. Your choice what you want to do. A lot of people choose to dress up a big on formal night. It will be hot in the islands, but inside the ship it is airconditioned. I don't think the heat would bother people who do choose to dress more formally.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We are currently on Radiance - Perth to Sydney and have had 3 formal nights. First formal night, most tux's we have seen for a long time and quite a few ladies in floor length gowns. Around 90% + men in tux, suits or jackets.

Second and third formal nights in the hotter tropics there were not quite as many but still very much the majority. The ladies dressed well most nights.

Demographics on this cruise are mostly 50-70 yrs, a lot from the UK, some from US and Canada but mostly from Aus. Very friendly and fun cruise.

Quite honestly, a nice shirt and trousers (maybe a tie) for men on formal night would be fine if you should choose it, especially on the hot weather cruises on Radiance. Probably you may find a younger age group on the shorter cruise as well.

Have seen on this cruise quite a few refused entry into MDR with sleeveless shirts or singlets anytime and shorts and thongs at night. Also they have asked for hats to be removed there.

We are on the QE2 in February, now that will be more formal with jacket required every night in the MDR.

I think dress code is very fluid..they seem to adjust it to the 'feel' of the cruise. Just off the 3 nighter on Explorer and shorts and thongs were accepted in MDr...at least in My Time Dining. But this was a 3 nighter....:)

We are currently on Radiance - Perth to Sydney and have had 3 formal nights. First formal night, most tux's we have seen for a long time and quite a few ladies in floor length gowns. Around 90% + men in tux, suits or jackets.

Second and third formal nights in the hotter tropics there were not quite as many but still very much the majority. The ladies dressed well most nights.

Demographics on this cruise are mostly 50-70 yrs, a lot from the UK, some from US and Canada but mostly from Aus. Very friendly and fun cruise.

Quite honestly, a nice shirt and trousers (maybe a tie) for men on formal night would be fine if you should choose it, especially on the hot weather cruises on Radiance. Probably you may find a younger age group on the shorter cruise as well.

Have seen on this cruise quite a few refused entry into MDR with sleeveless shirts or singlets anytime and shorts and thongs at night. Also they have asked for hats to be removed there.

We are on the QE2 in February, now that will be more formal with jacket required every night in the MDR.

Thanks for your observations, you will find that the QM2 is a lovely cruise liner and the MDR dress standard is generally high although 'we didn't have as many tuxs and long gowns as I would have thought due to a lot of people being on a world cruise segment and thus a lot of the Non-Aussies chose not to take multiple outfits and only wore the standard suit jacket every night. in any case, if you want to dress up you will love the atmosphere.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would bring this back up again.

I am just back from this cruise now on Radiance to the Islands for 8 nights. Lifou, Noumea and Isle of Pines. A great trip and would love to do it again.

Ok seriously on dress codes. I would have felt totally uncomfortable taking my suit. It was clearly not necessary as the vast majority decided casual was the way to go. Even my own "smart casual" was far better dressed than the majority on formal nights.

Demographic was mainly young Australian families with teenage kids. Obviously beating the real school holidays with this one. Dress sense was T-shirts or singlet tops with shorts, occasionally jeans and sneakers or thongs.

There were some that wore the button up collared shirts and trousers which by my definition is smart casual, but the clear majority were the t-shirt brigade.

Well rather than feel uncomfortable, I just joined them and went casual. If you cant beat them join them. I had no interest in standing out being the best dressed so I will save all my good clothes for Princess or Celebrity.

Seriously I did have a great time, the dress code did not bother me, but it is very clear to me that Royal Caribbean is a casual styled line.

Just thought I would bring this back up again.

I am just back from this cruise now on Radiance to the Islands for 8 nights. Lifou, Noumea and Isle of Pines. A great trip and would love to do it again.

Ok seriously on dress codes. I would have felt totally uncomfortable taking my suit. It was clearly not necessary as the vast majority decided casual was the way to go. Even my own "smart casual" was far better dressed than the majority on formal nights.

Demographic was mainly young Australian families with teenage kids. Obviously beating the real school holidays with this one. Dress sense was T-shirts or singlet tops with shorts, occasionally jeans and sneakers or thongs.

There were some that wore the button up collared shirts and trousers which by my definition is smart casual, but the clear majority were the t-shirt brigade.

Well rather than feel uncomfortable, I just joined them and went casual. If you cant beat them join them. I had no interest in standing out being the best dressed so I will save all my good clothes for Princess or Celebrity.

Seriously I did have a great time, the dress code did not bother me, but it is very clear to me that Royal Caribbean is a casual styled line.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. I am surprised they allowed people wearing singlets, shorts and thongs into the MDR but hey, if they are not going to enforce the dress codes, what can we do but go along with it.:D

Thanks for the report on the dress code (or version thereof). It's good to know if I ever decide on an RCI islands cruise (had one booked for January but cancelled). Perhaps the younger cohort on the cruise had a bearing on the dress but I do find it a pity that t-shirts and thongs are seen as 'well dressed' by some but that seems to be the way things are going.

Glad you had a good time.