First Cruise and What to expect.

RickinStl

Hello all. My wife and I have booked our first cruise ever on the Explorer of the Seas RCCL to Alaska in July of 2016. I'm just wondering what we can expect.

We've never been on a cruise and honestly we haven't taken a true vacation since 1999.

Any Ideas or experiences you've had and would be willing to share would be extremely helpful.

Hello all. My wife and I have booked our first cruise ever on the Explorer of the Seas RCCL to Alaska in July of 2016. I'm just wondering what we can expect.

We've never been on a cruise and honestly we haven't taken a true vacation since 1999.

Any Ideas or experiences you've had and would be willing to share would be extremely helpful.

First cruise jitters. First cruise excitement. We have all been there. Just take it as it goes. Absorb everything. Don't try to do everything offered (not enough hours in the day). Keep it a vacation at your own pace. Just go with the roll and flow of the ship in your own way.

We took our first cruise for a simple reason. Visited many islands to find one that we would like to return to for a vacation. After returning home, we discussed what we found and what we liked. We decided the the best island to return to was the one that we were floating around on. Been cruising ever since. (almost 30 years). We enjoy watching first timers. The awe. Their excitement and wonderment of everything around them.

So much to see, do and experience, one cruise is a start and leads into many others for most. Always something new. Places. People. And just "things". Our bucket list is hard to empty because there are always more things added.

Wish you a very happy first cruise. PS: Don't over pack. ;)

There is a Royal Caribbean Forum which would be good for you to read posts in order to find out things that are specific to RCI and to your ship.

In Ports of Call forum there is a separate section for Alaska. You can get lots of information there.

And if you go to the Roll Call forum and find the roll call for your ship, you can 'meet' some of your fellow passengers and possibly join some excursions.

Alaska is awesome.

A guidebook on your ports is VERY helpful! Excursions are probably a top expense, and are usually not needed for many things, if you know something about where you're visiting! You will want to bring binoculars...lots to see in Alaska..and even, at sea!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise -- and to Alaska. Such beautiful scenery.

One thing you need to do is plan clothing -- dress in layers. The mornings will start out chilly and many times the afternoons will be warm. Take water proof shoes and small portable umbrellas and a pair of binoculars. You may want to take a hat and gloves.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise -- and to Alaska. Such beautiful scenery.

One thing you need to do is plan clothing -- dress in layers. The mornings will start out chilly and many times the afternoons will be warm. Take water proof shoes and small portable umbrellas and a pair of binoculars. You may want to take a hat and gloves.

Good advice. We bought water-proofing spray and waterproofed our shoes and backpack.

Add a scarf to what you are packing and sunscreen.

But the other advice about checking out your ship and ports of call through the forum is great advice.

Study the deck plan of your ship so you have some idea what it offers and where things are.

Joining the roll call to meet other pax and maybe set up non-ship group excursions is another idea.

If you are planning on stepping foot into reef waters, please pay attention to selecting appropriate "reef safe" sunscreen:

From the U.S. National Park Service: The impacts of sunscreens on our coral reefs

Discovering an underwater wonderland

Our living reefs

A day on the water can be exciting and create lasting memories. When it comes to experiencing the coral reef, snorkeling and diving are the best ways to get up-close and personal. When we enter the water to explore these fascinating places, we may not consider the products that are rinsing off our bodies and how they may affect the tiny animals that make up our fragile coral reefs.

Coral reefs are among the most biologically diverse ecosystems in the world, and have even been called “biodiversity hotspots.” They cover less than 1% of the ocean’s floor, but nearly one million species of fish, invertebrates, and algae are estimated to live in and around the world’s reefs.

Corals are made up of tiny soft-bodied animals called polyps. They belong to a group called “Cnidaria” which includes species such as sea anemones and jellyfish. Symbiotic algae, called zooxanthellae, live within the coral polyps making them “solar powered” and provide coral with food energy through the process of photosynthesis. These algae give coral its vibrant colors,

such as green, brown, or orange. The polyps of “stony” corals use calcium from seawater to manufacture cup-like limestone skeletons. Generations of polyps create adjoining cups that result in fantastically-shaped colonies resembling flowers, mountains, or animal antlers. When many colonies of various species grow in close proximity to each other, they create the living fortresses we call reefs.

Our understanding of coral reefs is constantly growing, and now we know that more than 60% of coral reefs are at risk of being impacted by a variety of sources including marine pollutants, overfishing, boat groundings, and disease. Each of us can take steps to reduce these effects. One step is to limit what we bring into the water.

Sunscreens are among the products we are encouraged to use liberally to protect ourselves from the sun’s harmful rays. However, researchers are finding that while protecting humans, some compounds in many sunscreens can harm the coral on our reefs. Researchers testing the effects of sunscreen on corals explain that chemicals in sunscreen can awaken coral viruses. The coral then becomes sick and expel their life-giving algae. Without these algae, the coral “bleaches” (turns white), and often dies.

We may not realize that the products covering our skin wash off when we enter the water, and

it adds up! Research tells us that 4,000 to 6,000 TONS of sunscreen enters reef areas annually. This does not spread out rapidly or evenly over the entire ocean, but concentrates on popular tourist sites. It is estimated that 90% of snorkeling/diving tourists are concentrated on 10% of the world’s reefs. This means that our most popular reefs, such as those in our national parks, are exposed to the majority of sunscreens.

As a visitor to the park and the reefs, you can reduce the risk of harming coral by taking a more “reef friendly” approach to sun protection.

CHECK THE LABELS: While no sunscreen has been proven to be completely ‘reef-friendly,’ those with titanium oxide or zinc oxide, which are natural mineral ingredients, have not been found harmful to corals. Sunscreens sold for children or for those with sensitive skin may contain these gentler compounds as the active ingredients.

COVER UP: You can protect yourself as well as the reef by ‘covering-up’ before you enter the water. On the water, wear hats, sunglasses and light, long-sleeved clothing to protect you. In the water, a long-sleeved shirt or rash guard will help prevent sunburn.

Remember, if it’s on your skin, it’s on the reef. Be reef friendly! Reduce the amount of sunscreen you leave behind...

Concerns and the steps we can take

Sunscreens: the double- edged sword

Be reef friendly

NPS Photos by Thomas M. Strom

If you are planning on stepping foot into reef waters, please pay attention to selecting appropriate "reef safe" sunscreen:

IMO, since the OP specified their cruise is to Alaska, I don't think they have to worry about reef safe sunscreen .... but interesting point you make anyway :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Since you have not taken a vacation since 1999 and this is your first cruise, you are probably feeling a little overwhelmed, so here is my personal advice. First, google "top things to do in each of your ports." There are many websites, such as TripAdvisor, that will help you decide what excursions are a good fit for you. Take a look at the ship's excursions for those ports too. I personally am not a real fan of ship's excursions, as they normally are more expensive than private tours and are not as extensive, but Alaska is a little different in that respect, and we did book some of those tours. Floatplane rides are very easy to book on your own and are a great experience. Another must-do is the gold rush train ride (I think it was in Skagway) and a whale watching expedition in Juneau.

As the others have said, layers of clothing is a must.

Joining your roll call and reading the threads on the Alaska boards is also recommended. You will become a real cruise lover in no time.

Enjoy. Sometimes the research is just as exciting as the actual cruise itself.

Two more things to add to all the good advice you have already received.

Go on YouTube and search for your ship. I always find that looking at the videos helps me to learn more about the ship as well as increasing my anticipation.

Be prepared to become addicted to cruising!:D:D:D

Most definitely check out Alaska specific sections of this board. Alaska is a vastly different experience than your typical cruise.

It very much is about seeing Alaska vs the experience on the ship.

Excursions, frankly, are a must for Alaska. That said, it should be fine to book on your own rather than the more expensive ship ones. Just make sure to budget plenty enough time to make it back on board. Alaska generally doesn't have any issues that would make you late. The bus drivers won't drive crazy (as they can in some other more tropical ports), there's not much traffic to speak of, the roads are well maintained (it's the summer so weather doesn't affect the traffic much). Basically, it's America, and the rural, more relaxed part of America.

Certain ports have a LOT more to see and do than others. For example, I'm not a huge fan of Skagway. Juneau has tons to do IMO though.

Be prepared to eat. A LOT!!! We try to make up our cruise fare in food consumed. :D And we clearly aren't the only ones. We typically order most of the menu to split between the two of us.

Explorer of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean voyager class ship. I've sailed these types of ships many times from Galveston and really like them. Don't miss the free ice skating show (Studio B, deck 3). Best free coffee for me has been in Cafe Promenade (deck 5), which is open almost all the time -- Good pre-made sandwiches, pizza, and desserts too. Dining is "all you can eat", including in the MDR (main dining room). I usually get several appetizers (starters) and sometimes two main dishes (entrees).

Be prepared to be pampered. RCI crew is usually amazing -- always greeting you with a smile and "Hello".

I see you have already joined your roll call. That's a good place to ask more questions. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Jimnbigd