Norfolk

Mary49

You can fly into Norfolk International (ORF) and taxi to downtown Norfolk. I think Amtrak now offers train service to Norfolk, but I'm not too certain about its frequency or reliability. Once out of the northeast corridor, Amtrak can be dicey.

Warning, there's another airport reasonably close in Newport News (PHF). I personally love it since I live near it, but taxi to downtown Norfolk would be very costly and would involve transit through one of our infamous bridge tunnels. Traffic often bogs down there. I'd avoid it.

• 3 weeks later...
You can fly into Norfolk International (ORF) and taxi to downtown Norfolk. I think Amtrak now offers train service to Norfolk, but I'm not too certain about its frequency or reliability. Once out of the northeast corridor, Amtrak can be dicey.

Warning, there's another airport reasonably close in Newport News (PHF). I personally love it since I live near it, but taxi to downtown Norfolk would be very costly and would involve transit through one of our infamous bridge tunnels. Traffic often bogs down there. I'd avoid it.

Newport News (PHF) tends to be a bit more expensive to fly in and out of. Even though I live on the Peninsula, I still use ORF more often. It's larger, so there are more flights and they *tend* to be cheaper most of the time.

For those visiting, I'd definitely recommend ORF over PHF. ORF is around 25 minutes from downtown Norfolk and there are several reasonably priced hotels between the airport and the terminal that (probably) have shuttle service available. There are several hotels near the Newport News airport as well, and in general there's more within walking distance if you plan to fly in the night before, but you will probably pay $60+ for a taxi to the port and again when you get back.

If you plan to fly in the day of your cruise, the answer is without a doubt "Fly into Norfolk". The HRBT can get backed up and add 30 minutes or more to your trip if you are taking a cab down. The MMBT/MTT combo is a little less risky, but for some reason trucks like to jack-knife on the Western Freeway and close it down for hours. Plus, the flightpath approach into Norfolk Intl. takes you wide over the Elizabeth river and you can probably see your ship as you come in.

I've taken the train out of Newport News before a few times, but I cannot for the life of me imagine taking it from NYC to Hampton Roads and THEN getting on a cruise ship. The Northeast Regional is like....9 hours from NYC to Norfolk, assuming there's no issues. The station is almost within walking distance, but again, you're either leaving Friday morning AM and arrive in Norfolk that evening or you're taking a red-eye train and hoping nothing holds you up on the way.

• 3 months later...

I'd recommend Amtrak to Norfolk (not Newport News).

From the Norfolk Amtrak station pick up the Tide (light rail) westbound to MacArthur Square, which puts you 3 blocks from the cruise terminal.

Assuming you were coming down a day early, there are a lot of quality downtown hotels near MacArthur Square, as well as plenty of dining, shopping, and activities.

There's only 1 train a day that comes directly into Norfolk and I believe it arrives in the evening. The others go to Newport News and you transfer to a bus to Norfolk.

Yes and No

Yes there is only one train a day which is Train 125 Northeast Regional leaves NY Penn 11:35a and arrives 8:38p (if on time). Reverse Trip is Northeast Regional Train 84, departs 6:10a and arrives 2:30p. The equipment overnights in Norfolk so your return trip should not start with a delay if they get there the previous day. Would need a hotel coming and going.

No as in Amtrak also offers "Thruway Bus" connections which you transfer to/from Newport News which you get two more regional trains from NYC, I don't think the times are good for those as well.

Our DS lives in Norfolk and we have sailed in and out of Norfolk. I would fly if at all possible into Norfolk. Then take Uber to the port.

last time we sailed we parked at his house and the cab to the port was $20. I would think it would be around ~$30 or so from the airport.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas