Private Tour St. Petersburg

ellie84

I am looking into booking a private tour with ulko tours tour company in St. Petersburg for a private tour later this summer - please could everyone give me their personal experiences of this tour company and their tours??

There are lots of threads on this if you either use the Search function or just scroll down the page. I see you are new so welcome, we used SPB and were very happy. You will find there are 4-5 companies that get high marks.

We had a great tour with Alla, but as Kirk's post if you browse through the threads on this Baltic forum you will find a great many posts by a great many people all extremely pleased with their various tour operators. You will find the same half-dozen or so operators mentioned time & again.

But I've never heard of Ulko. I'm guessing she's a new kid on the block, & probably a former guide with one of the others who's set up her own business -that's how several of them started. This despite an extensive web-site.

I've had a little look through her website (too much time on my hands :rolleyes:) & her offerings and prices are very similar to the others.

The only significant difference that I've noticed is that she requires a deposit in advance - I think all the others only require payment on-the-day.

I'd be inclined to play safe & choose one of those who've been frequently commended on Cruise Critic & other forums.

Which is probably unfair on Ulko, but that's life.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I agree with John 100%. Of all the tour companies mentioned here on the Baltic's Board, I have never heard of one asking for any sort of payment or deposit in advance. If you are doing a 2 day tour, mostly all the companies ask for the money on the SECOND day.

Personally, I would not want to send any sort of deposit to a company in Russia because if something happens and you cannot make the trip, you might be out that money.

They are probably looking to insure that you do go with them by asking for a deposit. There have been cases where people sign up for 2 day tours and only go on the first day, looking to sort of 'screw' the tour company. But they are few and very far between.

Unless there is some particular reason why you need to use that particular tour company, I would think twice.

Like some of the others, we used SPB Tours and they will cater the tour to whatever your needs are, as, I'm sure, most of the other companies will also.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

After much research and recommendations on this board I emailed all of the major companies.TJ Travel was not only the quickest to respond but after a few emails I just had such a good feeling I opted to use them...

.We did a private (just the two of us guide & driver) 2 day active tour. They gave us an amazing trip of a lifetime with the flexibility to see and do what we wanted even making spur of the minute changes. Seeing more in two days than I thought possible..

Email all the major companies and based on their responses you will easily make the decision best for you.

Enjoy this wonderful city and all it has to offer.

Hi Len,

It looks like you are a very experienced cruiser and I think I need your help. Currently I’m choosing a tour company for a private two day tour in St. Petersburg. The problem is – we are traveling with a child of 3 and need a very individual approach. We will probably need a quick stop for lunch and we would prefer our tours to be finished at about 3-4 PM. I also think we should start at about 9-10 AM. We don’t want and we just can’t rush from one museum to another, we would prefer to see just the most famous ones such as the Hermitage and the Summer Palace. Could you please recommend a company which would be able to provide a very individual and personalized itinerary? Thank you for your help.

Jess.

Hi Len,

It looks like you are a very experienced cruiser and I think I need your help. Currently I’m choosing a tour company for a private two day tour in St. Petersburg. The problem is – we are traveling with a child of 3 and need a very individual approach. We will probably need a quick stop for lunch and we would prefer our tours to be finished at about 3-4 PM. I also think we should start at about 9-10 AM. We don’t want and we just can’t rush from one museum to another, we would prefer to see just the most famous ones such as the Hermitage and the Summer Palace. Could you please recommend a company which would be able to provide a very individual and personalized itinerary? Thank you for your help.

Jess.

What you will need to do is email the tour companies and ask for a private tour not a group tour. I am using TJ Travel for my upcoming visit as they just felt "right" to me and they quickly understood that I was looking to customize a tour rather than jumping into a group tour. The other companies I spoke with never did get that point.

After much research and recommendations on this board I emailed all of the major companies.TJ Travel was not only the quickest to respond but after a few emails I just had such a good feeling I opted to use them...

.We did a private (just the two of us guide & driver) 2 day active tour. They gave us an amazing trip of a lifetime with the flexibility to see and do what we wanted even making spur of the minute changes. Seeing more in two days than I thought possible..

Email all the major companies and based on their responses you will easily make the decision best for you.

Enjoy this wonderful city and all it has to offer.

We opted for TJ for the same reason - quick responses and customizable tour. They also have told me that I could add or delete things as I go and if I go over my alloted tour time that they wouldn't charge me extra. They have yet to say no to anything I've asked about except Catherine's Palace since it is closed on the day we are visiting. Oh and they are going to prebuy one of the souvineers I am looking for (KHL hockey sweater) since we might not make it by the stadium so no matter what I'll get my sweater. They are very awesome!

Darn! Forgot all about hockey sweaters when we were in SPB with TJ last summer. They did take us to a store for a football (soccer) team, though, and we spent quite a few bucks there.

We found our guide to be as flexible as possible. We extended things, shrunk things, changed things around, added things, and then when we had finished a 14 hour day with her and the driver on our first day, at around 3PM the second day we were pooped, so we just did some "driveby photos" of the last few things and back to the boat.

Hi Len,

Jess.

Jess

My fellow cruisers have given you the exact advice I would give you. We used SPB Tours (http://www.spb-tours.com/st-petersburg/en/node) for our time and I would recommend them very highly. We used them because of personalized service and we felt that they really cared if we had a great time in St Petersburg.

That said, from what you describe as your ideal tour, surely will not appeal to many others. Most people visiting St Petersburg want to be off the ship as soon as possible, see as much as possible and be back to their ship as late as possible.

Since you have specific desires, I seriously doubt you will find many other cruisers to share a tour with you. Sharing a tour usually makes the price a lot cheaper. The rest is up to you. If you can pay the price you will get any of the tour companies to accommodate your needs.

I would contact several of the major players in St Petersburg, see who offers you what you are looking for at maybe the best price and see which one you feel the most comfortable with. This time of year, you should email them and should hear back by the next day.

There are many people who tour with young children who are able to do full day tours, but only you know what is best for your family.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

Darn! Forgot all about hockey sweaters when we were in SPB with TJ last summer. They did take us to a store for a football (soccer) team, though, and we spent quite a few bucks there.

We found our guide to be as flexible as possible. We extended things, shrunk things, changed things around, added things, and then when we had finished a 14 hour day with her and the driver on our first day, at around 3PM the second day we were pooped, so we just did some "driveby photos" of the last few things and back to the boat.

There are a few websites that ship to the US but I know it wouldn't be the same as getting it there. I didn't realize they had football over there. That could be a good souvineer for my brother. I bought him one in Venice when we went to Italy.

Thank you Len for the very informative post. Thank you BLONDE 1981. Yes, I think I will write to both companies and compare the prices. May be we also will be able to do full day tours. It will be my first cruise and I’m not sure I know what is best for us J. Anyway thank you all for the information.

Jess :)

Thank you Len for the very informative post. Thank you BLONDE 1981. Yes, I think I will write to both companies and compare the prices. May be we also will be able to do full day tours. It will be my first cruise and I’m not sure I know what is best for us J. Anyway thank you all for the information.

Maybe you could pack a stroller and blanket for the little one so they could sleep during some of the museum tours and you can extend your time on shore a little longer.

Hi Len,

Currently I’m choosing a tour company for a private two day tour in St. Petersburg. The problem is – we are traveling with a child of 3 and need a very individual approach. We will probably need a quick stop for lunch and we would prefer our tours to be finished at about 3-4 PM. I also think we should start at about 9-10 AM. We don’t want and we just can’t rush from one museum to another, we would prefer to see just the most famous ones such as the Hermitage and the Summer Palace. Could you please recommend a company which would be able to provide a very individual and personalized itinerary?

Jess we are going to be there this summer on the constellation curise July 7th-19th. The travelers will be me and Roger (50,51) and my 3 boys (twins 16 & oldest 20) and my mom (74). My 3 boys all have chronic medical condition and can get tired easy and my mom has some difficulty walking distances. She willl use a wheelchari for distances. All I had specific places we wanted to see in St. Petersburg plus the other cities too, Some off the beaten path and not on main tours (for example we want to see Soulderham in Stockholm because of the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series) and we also added a stop for the concentration camp in Berlin.

I have written to about 5 companies - and was specific in what we wanted a private tour for 6 people - no groups no buses. Some companies did not read what I wrote and sent me group tours, etc. Some did not make mention of the specific places we wanted to see.

One wrote that we could not do a tour of Tallinn as it all has to be a walking tour (not correct). At this time I am leaning towards TJ Tours for several reasons, their customer service, their response time and the personalization and customization. For the evening my mom and I want to see a ballet - there is no way Roger nor my boys have ANY desire to see a ballet - but there is an amazing new indoor water park that opened in St. Petersburg - one of the largest in the world - we have seen it on the travel channel and she was able to offer the boys the option to go there in the evening as it is open to 11 pm. One tour company indicated that we all had to do the same tour.

I think most tours will customize for you. I agree with having a young child you will need to have a private tour so you can stop when need be, etc. 2 years when we did the Eastern Med we also did private and one of my boys after walking Kusadasi was so tired for the next stop he was able to nap in the car (granted he was 14) with the driver while we did some shopping.

Sharon

Jess we are going to be there this summer on the constellation curise July 7th-19th. The travelers will be me and Roger (50,51) and my 3 boys (twins 16 & oldest 20) and my mom (74). My 3 boys all have chronic medical condition and can get tired easy and my mom has some difficulty walking distances. She willl use a wheelchari for distances. All I had specific places we wanted to see in St. Petersburg plus the other cities too, Some off the beaten path and not on main tours (for example we want to see Soulderham in Stockholm because of the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series) and we also added a stop for the concentration camp in Berlin.

I have written to about 5 companies - and was specific in what we wanted a private tour for 6 people - no groups no buses. Some companies did not read what I wrote and sent me group tours, etc. Some did not make mention of the specific places we wanted to see.

One wrote that we could not do a tour of Tallinn as it all has to be a walking tour (not correct). At this time I am leaning towards TJ Tours for several reasons, their customer service, their response time and the personalization and customization. For the evening my mom and I want to see a ballet - there is no way Roger nor my boys have ANY desire to see a ballet - but there is an amazing new indoor water park that opened in St. Petersburg - one of the largest in the world - we have seen it on the travel channel and she was able to offer the boys the option to go there in the evening as it is open to 11 pm. One tour company indicated that we all had to do the same tour.

I think most tours will customize for you. I agree with having a young child you will need to have a private tour so you can stop when need be, etc. 2 years when we did the Eastern Med we also did private and one of my boys after walking Kusadasi was so tired for the next stop he was able to nap in the car (granted he was 14) with the driver while we did some shopping.

Sharon

Sharon...Not surprised that you're leaning towards TJ Travel..The decision to go with them was made very easy for me... A "good" feeling and the many emails back-n-forth with my endless questions starting always with "Me Again" and Tatiana and Julia's quick sometimes funny responses.

By the time we got there I already felt like they were friends planning this amazing visit for us.

Saying goodbye to our wonderful guide & driver at the end of our 2 day tour was hard. An amazing trip of a lifetime thanks to my new Russian friends.The Christmas card we get from them each year just solidifies that feeling.

Enjoy what is going to be your trip of a lifetime to this amazing city !

Sharon...Not surprised that you're leaning towards TJ Travel..The decision to go with them was made very easy for me... A "good" feeling and the many emails back-n-forth with my endless questions starting always with "Me Again" and Tatiana and Julia's quick sometimes funny responses.

By the time we got there I already felt like they were friends planning this amazing visit for us.

![/b]

I have been dealing with Olga in their office daily. They will be providing our tours in all cities but Copenhagen. You are right it s the feeling. I deal with people daily in negotiations and very detail oriented so my emails were detailed broken out by city what we wanted to see or not see and details regarding my boys and mom. So when companies clearly failed to read what I wrote it bothered me

Sharon

I have been dealing with Olga in their office daily. They will be providing our tours in all cities but Copenhagen. You are right it s the feeling. I deal with people daily in negotiations and very detail oriented so my emails were detailed broken out by city what we wanted to see or not see and details regarding my boys and mom. So when companies clearly failed to read what I wrote it bothered me

Sharon

Olga is awesome. You should like her. Tatiyana is pretty cool too. She is the one who suggested I just email them what I want and they'd have it waiting in case the tour just can't squeeze in the stop.

Olga is awesome. You should like her. Tatiyana is pretty cool too. She is the one who suggested I just email them what I want and they'd have it waiting in case the tour just can't squeeze in the stop.

Not surprised that Tatiana suggested you just email them what you "want" as she's the "T" in TJ Travel ;):)

Again Jess, try and see as much of St Petersburg as you can, but if you want to join a group, be prepared to cater to some of the other's wishes also.

Anything else, I, or any of my fellow cruisers, can help you with, please just ask away.

You have picked a wonderful cruise for your first. You definitely will be spoiled, when it's time to plan the next one. The Baltics are just awesome.

If I may offer another bit of advice. As I said, this usually is a once in a lifetime cruise (at least for most of us), so try and do things YOU and your wife will enjoy also. Don't try and cater the cruise just for the child. It's YOUR vacation and YOU have to be able to enjoy it also.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

Jess.

We are also traveling with our little one and we are currently in correspondence with Best Guides to book a tour. They provide very special children tailored tours. Maybe you could also try one of them?

Thank you Len so much for your help and for the inspiration. I will definitely try to see as much of St. Petersburg as possible. I think we will do full day tours. By the way do you know if it’s allowed to use a stroller in the Hermitage? It might help a lot.

Thank you JiGlo for the suggestion. I think our daughter is too young even for special children tailored tours… She is only 3 years old.

Any way – thank you all for your helpful info, I will write to all these companies and let you know the result J Thank you! I can’t wait for my cruise!

Jess.

Jess

I can't answer that one, but that is a great question to put to any of the tour companies that you write to.

If memory serves, I do not think you can use it at Catherine's Palace as you need to put those little booties on over your shoes.

(At least I believe it was Catherine's Palace)

Cheers

Len