Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

As promised earlier I would make the new 2015 Copenhagen thread when the new cruise list for Copenhagen was ready and now it is.

Its important to use this thread as the info in the old one can be outdated.

Here it is, the 2016 list is also ready for the early birds.

Remember that there most likely will be updates to the list before the cruise season starts (10th of April with Aidacara)

http://www.cmport.com/en/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/cruise-list-2015-2016

Lots of interesting ships pass by.

Regal Princess, Caribbean Princess, Disney Magic, Eurodam, Queen Elisabeth, Celebrity Silhuette/Eclipse, Serenade/Brilliance Of The Seas and Britania are just some of them.

Here is the "new" timetable for bus 26, still no regular busses to UNICEF Færgehavn Nord in weekends but I do expect the shuttle busses to and from Østerport station will continue.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-141214.pdf

As alway you can get bus 26 from both Folke Bernadottes Allé and Sløjfen (where it says 26 holdested)

The shuttle bus will only depart from Sløjfen.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/%C3%98sterport.pdf

Here from Kongens Nytorv.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Kongens%20Nytorv.pdf

Central Station, Notice that the bus stops at Vesterbrogade and not next to the central station.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Hovedbanen.pdf

If you gonna use the luggage storage at the central station its located next to the Cykelcenter on the map above.

http://en.hovedbanen.dk/dsb-information/dsb-luggage-service/

Thank you.

Btw if any of you still needs to book a flight then here you will find any route offerings from North America to CPH.

San Francisco with Scandinavian Airlines

Los Angeles with Norwegian

Chicago with Scandinavian Airlines

Toronto with Air Canada

Washington-Dulles with Scandinavian Airlines

Fort Lauderdale with Norwegian

Orlando with Norwegian

New York-Newark with Scandinavian Airlines (2 daily departures during the summer)

New York-JFK with both Delta and Norwegian.

Scandinavian Airlines uses Airbus A330 and A340 and they are all getting new seats and interior starting with the CPH Newark route in February.

It included Hästens bed linen and lie flat beds in business class.

Norwegian uses Boeing 787 Dreamliners on all routes but can sometimes be replaced with other planes.

Delta uses a Boeing 757 or 767, can't remember.

Air Canada flies daily during the summer with a Boeing 787 dreamliner.

I looked all over for this early 2014. I got some useful information, but this is what I SHOULD have been told.

The airport in Copenhagen is about a 20 minute drive in very little traffic. In the spring of 2014, it cost about $65 - 70 to go from the cruise port to the airport. Many DO take credit cards, but it REALLY helps to have one that is a debit card or a credit card for with you know the PIN.

(Note -- for US travelers, while you CAN enter the airport much earlier than the flight, be prepared that your gate information that is usually posted on those ubiquitous overhead screens usually does NOT appear right away. I remember my gate and flight information appearing less than an hour before the plane left. That was a little disconcerting, but everyone else seem fine, so I "did the Danish," and flew out with very little effort.)

There are other ways to travel between the cruise port and the airport.

For instance you can take the train or a bus to the port, and walk or take a taxi the rest of the way. The train ride from the airport to the stations closest to the cruise ports was very smooth, fairly intuitive to a non-Danish speaker, and a bit lest than $15.

But until construction is finished, consider using a taxi for at least part of your trip. According to my taxi driver to the air port, ours was the first boat to use the new berth ("freeport"), and it was the one furthest away (from everything). I think that area will be great once all the building is done, but until then please note the following:

1) this is the current website for the port:

http://www.cmport.com/

You will have to spend some time interpreting this.

2) There are multiple port sites. In 2014 there was massive construction at the newest port. Naturally, that was were my ship was.

3) The nearest train stop was Nordhavn. (I unfortunately got off at the stop before Osterport (not far from the Little Mermaid statue), which felt about 1/2 mile (about 1 km away)).

4) The bus is an alternative to the trains, but it does not currently run on Sundays.

5) It was Sunday. It was also about a 1.5 mile (~3km) WALK from the Nordhavn train station to the cruise port. (which means for me it was about 2 (~4km) miles with a rolling suitcase and a "beach bag")

In May 2014, it was a long mass of broad winding and half finished roads, gravel, cobblestones, missing sections of sidewalk, slanting side walks, and just plain dirt. Did I mention the weather went from gray, to light drizzle to light rain?

5) It took me about 2 hours or so to walk. But honestly after the first 30 minutes, I didn't want to know anymore -- looking at the time just made my bags heavier and harder to manipulate.

Much later on I was able to look outside the ship's windows to figure out the path I took. I couldn't see it at first because was SO out of the way. Unfortunately at the time, it was the ONLY way to walk or drive, as I found out later by taxi and shuttle.

After the construction is done, it will probably be a LOT shorter, but until then, plan accordingly.

What I did learn about my trek to the ship:

Yes, it's good to pack for mobility.

Yes, you can walk 2 miles with luggage, if you have to.

Yes, cobblestones can really rattle your rolling suitcases.

Yes, computers can operate with cracked screens.

(and Yes you can replace them by yourself using Youtube and about $75.)

Yes adventure sagas are good if for nothing else that to alert visitors to forums.

We will be in Copenhagen September 10, 2015 and are thinking of taking the train to Malmo, Sweden. We have been to Copenhagen before and one of our party wanted to "put her feet on Swedish soil" since her ancestors are from Sweden. Our ship (Regal Princess) leaves Friday, September 11, 2015 at 6:00pm. Our flight into CPH gets in around 1:00 or 2:00 (Iceland Air from Denver to Iceland to CPH). By the time we drop our luggage at a hotel, would we have time to go to Malmo that day or the next day? Not sure if we want to spend one or two nights in Copenhagen. Also, we were originally going to stay at the Bethel Hotel but now I am thinking it might be better to stay at the Hotel Hebron closer to the train station. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your great information.

First of all, Bethel is a better hotel than Hebron and its located 5 minutes away from Kongens Nytorv Metro station so you are close to a "train station".

Kongens Nytorv is directly connected to the airport with metro line M2.

When going to Malmö you simply just take the metro to Nørreport or and change to the Øresund train to Malmö there.

A trip to Malmö only takes around 45 minutes from Nørreport (add 3 minutes from Kongens Nytorv) so you would be able to visit Malmö on a evening tour.

First of all, Bethel is a better hotel than Hebron and its located 5 minutes away from Kongens Nytorv Metro station so you are close to a "train station".

Kongens Nytorv is directly connected to the airport with metro line M2.

When going to Malmö you simply just take the metro to Nørreport or and change to the Øresund train to Malmö there.

A trip to Malmö only takes around 45 minutes from Nørreport (add 3 minutes from Kongens Nytorv) so you would be able to visit Malmö on a evening tour.

Perfect. Exactly the information I needed. Thank you so much!

I will be arriving into Copenhagen Airport on Thurs, May 21, 2014, 2 days before my RC cruise. I will be traveling solo and would like to know if I take the train into the city (Grand Hotel), would there be any steps on train or at stations. I will have a large suitcase and a small bag, so I can't carry them up/down stairs. Thanks.

If you catch a Intercity train towards the central station you will most likely need to handle steps as these trains are served by the older IC3 trains.

If you however use the Øresund train that departs every 10th minute you will find one low floor carriage for each 3 carriages.

Its the middle one out of 3.

Btw I'm not sure what term you use for a train wagon.

I have heard cars, wagons and carriages and I'm not sure with one is British English or American English but I hope you understand what I mean.

The new bus timetable for 2015 started today and this info is still on the website.

Ekstrakørsel på linje 26 / Extra shuttle buses to and from the cruise ship terminal (bus 26)

Linje 26 - Ekstrakørsel mellem Østerport St. og Oceankaj (Krydstogtsterminalen)

Når krydstogtskibe lægger til ved Oceankaj (Krydstogtsterminalen) bliver der indsat ekstra bus mellem Østerport St. (Sløjfen ved Folke Bernadottes Allé) og Oceankaj (Krydstogtsterminalen). Bussen kører i pendulfart fra kl. 8 til 16.

Bus 26 - When cruise ships dock at Oceankaj (cruise ship terminal) shuttle buses will run between Østerport station (at Folke Bernadottes Allé) and Oceankaj (cruise ship terminal) from 8 AM until 4 PM.

The info in english is a little misleading because it says Folke Bernadottes Allé but the actual bus stop is Sløjfen.

https://www.google.dk/maps/search/sl%C3%B8jfen+%C3%B8sterport/@55.693549,12.591225,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

Thank you for posting the new version of Wonderful Copenhagen 2015.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for answering our questions in a timely manner. Your help is very much appreciated. I, myself, have been the recipient on several occasions. You are truly an ambassador of good will for your beautiful city.

Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Four of us will be disembarking Serenade OTS on Sat., May 23, 2015. We have a flight to Frankfurt at 10:05AM. We know we must disembark the ship as soon as it is cleared. It is my understanding that shuttle buses to the bus/train station don't start until 8AM, too late for us to arrive at the airport on time. Would it be advisable to prebook a taxi or will taxis already be at the pier (between 7A-7:15AM)? At that time of morning will traffic be busy and we should take the taxi only to the train station and take the train to the airport? If we need to prebook the taxi, does anyone have any taxi companies to recommend?

Four of us will be disembarking Serenade OTS on Sat., May 23, 2015. We have a flight to Frankfurt at 10:05AM. We know we must disembark the ship as soon as it is cleared. It is my understanding that shuttle buses to the bus/train station don't start until 8AM, too late for us to arrive at the airport on time. Would it be advisable to prebook a taxi or will taxis already be at the pier (between 7A-7:15AM)? At that time of morning will traffic be busy and we should take the taxi only to the train station and take the train to the airport? If we need to prebook the taxi, does anyone have any taxi companies to recommend?

All 3 terminals at Oceankaj is in use that day but luckily for you Costa Favolosa will arrive at 08:30 and MSC Sinfonia at 09:00.

As you said yourself your ship arrives at 07:00 so the taxi line and traffic out of the port shouldn't be hectic before the 2 other ship arrives.

Its a Saturday so the traffic in Copenhagen shouldn't be any problem and a taxi will get you out in 30 minutes or so.

You can off course save some money but not time by taking the taxi to Østerport and take the airport train from there.

Have enjoyed reading your very many tips and good advice. Now I too have a few brief questions. I read that last May (2014) it took hours for taxis and busses to leave the new ( Oceankaj) pier due to construction and that it was down to a single lane .....is it any better now?? Will it be done before the Spring of 2015?

One more question please ..... Is there a shuttle or bus that can take me from the Phoenix Hotel to Pier 330 Oceankaj??? Or can I only take a taxi?

Thank you ....... John Daniels. Canada

It seems like it only was a startup problem.

Now there are shuttle busses between Østerport station and Oceankaj when cruiseships are in port.

Copenhagen was also awarded best european cruiseport in 2014 and I don´t think they would have been given that award if the problems would have been continued.

You have 2 options.

Regular weekdays. (aka Monday to Friday, Mandag til Fredag in danish)

Take bus 26 from Odd Fellow palæet from just outside your hotel.

at XX:22 and XX:42 towards Færgehavn Nord (UNICEF), UNICEF is the stop you gonna get off at.

Weekends and public holidays (Lørdag, Søn og Helligdage in danish)

Take any departures from the list (destination Færgeterminal Søndre Frihavn or Langeliniekaj)

Change at Østerport Station, Sløjfen, (the the first bus stop at Østerport but the second)

From here you can catch the shuttle bus.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000007022

D V

Thanks for taking the time to provide excellent information.

Question:

Can you give me an approx. distance from Langeline pier to Tivoli Gradens? I know folks say Copenhagen is a very walkable city. However, getting to the city center from the pier has me questioning the distance. Also, is the HOHO bus stop near the where the ship docks?