Tivoli

Hi

At Copenhagen on a Christmas cruise. I understand it's close and easy to walk to Tivoli from the port. But...

Is there any advantage to buying tickets online and in advance, or wait until the day/see what the weather is like?! We're there on a Tuesday so not the Fri to Sun when it appears (looking online) that they charge more at the gate...

Any opinions gratefully received :)

Where our ship was docked, it was NOT a quick and easy walk to Tivoli. It was a 20 min cab ride. Maybe your ship will be somewhere else?

Tivoli is a quick and easy walk from pretty much anywhere in the main, touristy city center.

No need to get tickets ahead of time, IMO, unless you will be there long enough to get use out of a Gold Pass.

None of the ports in Copenhagen are an easy walk to Tivoli.

If you are coming in at Freeport or Langelinie, the walk to Tivoli would be close to an hour and a taxi will take 15 - 20 minutes.

If you are coming in at Oceankaj (where we docked this summer), then it's not even walkable and a taxi will take 20 - 30 minutes, depending on traffic. You can get to Tivoli from Oceankaj via public transportation too, which is what we did.

Thanks for this info. I've just double checked the port sites and we're coming in at Langelinie near to the 'Little Mermaid' so it's good to have googles estimate of timings confirmed :)

I think we'll walk up to Tivoli via Nyhavn, maybe do a canal tour and then maybe find a bus or taxi back from Tivoli (in good time) to town or the little mermaid area. We're both okay at walking the distance, so long as it's not dreadful weather (when we'll have a rethink!) Seems we don't need to purchase the Tivoli ticket in advance, so thanks for this info.

Shame we're in on the 23rd as it appears all the Christmas markets (bar Tivoli) close the day before on the 22nd! You'd think the organisers would wait an extra day to capitalise on a few thousand extra tourists!

I would have considered the hoho buses for ease, but looking at tripadvisor the Copenhagen ones are slated...

We had a really easy time getting around Copenhagen via public transportation. Our cruise originated from Copenhagen, so we went with a Copenhagen Card, which includes public transport, a canal cruise and entrance to Tivoli along with other attractions. You might want to price out this option: http://www.copenhagencard.com/whats-included

Also, please note that Tivoli is especially lovely at night (not sure how cold it would be in December) with all the lights in the summer.

Edited by kitkat343

Thanks for this info. I've just double checked the port sites and we're coming in at Langelinie near to the 'Little Mermaid' so it's good to have googles estimate of timings confirmed :)

I think we'll walk up to Tivoli via Nyhavn, maybe do a canal tour and then maybe find a bus or taxi back from Tivoli (in good time) to town or the little mermaid area. We're both okay at walking the distance, so long as it's not dreadful weather (when we'll have a rethink!) Seems we don't need to purchase the Tivoli ticket in advance, so thanks for this info.

Shame we're in on the 23rd as it appears all the Christmas markets (bar Tivoli) close the day before on the 22nd! You'd think the organisers would wait an extra day to capitalise on a few thousand extra tourists!

I would have considered the hoho buses for ease, but looking at tripadvisor the Copenhagen ones are slated...

The one at Højbro Plads is open until 23 of december.

We had a really easy time getting around Copenhagen via public transportation. Our cruise originated from Copenhagen, so we went with a Copenhagen Card, which includes public transport, a canal cruise and entrance to Tivoli along with other attractions. You might want to price out this option: http://www.copenhagencard.com/whats-included

Also, please note that Tivoli is especially lovely at night (not sure how cold it would be in December) with all the lights in the summer.

Thanks, I had discounted buying this card due to the cost, but I've had a rethink and will now get it. It will give us flexibility if the weather is poor and we change our minds. Unfortunately the cruise ship leaves (I think) at 6pm so we can't be at Tivoli in the evening, really frustrating, esp so here at Copenhagen as we then have 2 sea days before Amsterdam (to allow for Christmas Day I assume) but I'm sure they could have allowed a few extra evening hours :(

I have time to buy this and get it delivered to home. I'm not sure I want the hassle on the day of finding somewhere to pick it up. Where did you buy yours from? (I realise you may have been at a different port)

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

I think we'll walk up to Tivoli via Nyhavn, maybe do a canal tour and then maybe find a bus or taxi back from Tivoli (in good time) to town or the little mermaid area. We're both okay at walking the distance, so long as it's not dreadful weather (when we'll have a rethink).

Weather permitting and having an interest in walking... it's definitely walkable from Langelinie. I did just that. I was off the ship early (as always) and had a very nice enjoyable walk along the waterfront from the ship, stopping at the Little Mermaid, and then continuing on toward the central area of the city. I suppose I probably took 90-120 minutes or so to get to Nyhavn, since I was stopping and taking tons of pictures. I meandered all around town to see what I wanted and then walked the entire distance back to the ship along a different route. I did not, however, spend time inside Tivoli. But I walked by the gate to Tivoli. So with your plan to possibly take some transportation back to the ship area, I think you'd have plenty of time to spend at Tivoli while walking there.

Weather permitting and having an interest in walking... it's definitely walkable from Langelinie. I did just that. I was off the ship early (as always) and had a very nice enjoyable walk along the waterfront from the ship, stopping at the Little Mermaid, and then continuing on toward the central area of the city. I suppose I probably took 90-120 minutes or so to get to Nyhavn, since I was stopping and taking tons of pictures. I meandered all around town to see what I wanted and then walked the entire distance back to the ship along a different route. I did not, however, spend time inside Tivoli. But I walked by the gate to Tivoli. So with your plan to possibly take some transportation back to the ship area, I think you'd have plenty of time to spend at Tivoli while walking there.

Agreed. We did it in reverse - bus from Langelinie to the centre, then walked back to the ship along the water - Nyhavn harbour, Amalienborg Palace, Nyhavn Castle & the Little Mermaid.

Google has Nyhavn harbour to your ship at about 40 minutes / 2 miles.

JB :)

Sorry Goosebear Mum - I can't really help you since our cruise originated in Copenhagen, and we purchased our Copenhagen card at one of the Tourist information booths which was very helpfully located across the street from our hotel (we stayed right next to Tivoli).