Studio Lounge Access for Solo Travelers on the Epic

piper45maru

Hi all! I had been hoping to book a Studio cabin, and I waited literally just an hour too long to decide, and the last Studio cabin got booked! I am now in a balcony cabin, and I am excited about that, too.

I've been reading a lot of reviews, and some people say that solo travelers have 24/7 access to the Studio Lounge no matter what class they're sailing in. Others say it's only during the nightly solo-traveler meet and greets. I called NCL to check on this, and the PCC said that according to his information, solo access (other than those booked in Studio) is *only* during the nightly solo meet and greet. He added that it's possible that I could get onboard and be allowed different access, as the onboard people would know better than him.

I am in a balcony guarantee right now, but I am thinking of upgrading (if they'll let me, and it's not an outrageous cost, but the online price looks like only a $30 difference, and I booked in July so I shouldn't lose my July promo) so that I can choose a cabin on 11 or 12 to be near the Studio area. If I can't have 24/7 access, then going through the hassle of upgrading is less worth it for me (and there's always that pipe dream of scoring an aft balcony if I take my chances with my guarantee :p).

Can anyone who's traveled solo on the Epic outside Studio class weigh in with what their experience was with access to the Studio Lounge?

Thank you so much in advance!

. . . If I can't have 24/7 access, then going through the hassle of upgrading is less worth it for me (and there's always that pipe dream of scoring an aft balcony if I take my chances with my guarantee :p).

Can anyone who's traveled solo on the Epic outside Studio class weigh in with what their experience was with access to the Studio Lounge?

You'll not be granted 24/7 keycard access (nor should you be), but you will have EASY access during the evening gatherings. The entry door to the Studio Lounge/Living Room is completely glass, so you can be easily seen. Most people will readily open the door for you during those other hours . . . as long as someone is in there. Quite often it will be completely empty.

Enjoy your Norwegian Epic sailing . . . it's a superb ship!! :)

Hi all! I had been hoping to book a Studio cabin, and I waited literally just an hour too long to decide, and the last Studio cabin got booked! I am now in a balcony cabin, and I am excited about that, too.

I've been reading a lot of reviews, and some people say that solo travelers have 24/7 access to the Studio Lounge no matter what class they're sailing in. Others say it's only during the nightly solo-traveler meet and greets. I called NCL to check on this, and the PCC said that according to his information, solo access (other than those booked in Studio) is *only* during the nightly solo meet and greet. He added that it's possible that I could get onboard and be allowed different access, as the onboard people would know better than him.

I am in a balcony guarantee right now, but I am thinking of upgrading (if they'll let me, and it's not an outrageous cost, but the online price looks like only a $30 difference, and I booked in July so I shouldn't lose my July promo) so that I can choose a cabin on 11 or 12 to be near the Studio area. If I can't have 24/7 access, then going through the hassle of upgrading is less worth it for me (and there's always that pipe dream of scoring an aft balcony if I take my chances with my guarantee :p).

Thank you so much in advance!

I've been in the Epic Studios three times. All three times the access for solo travelers in other cabins has been limited to the Happy Hour. It is a perk for Studio guests. To be honest, other than the Happy Hour the lounge was rarely busy at all. Most times empty.

No harm in asking Guest Services once you get on board though.

Thank you both for your prompt responses! I appreciate it.

I do agree that the Studio Lounge should be a perk for Studio guests, but when I saw several people on these boards indicate that solo travelers could have unlimited access as well, I got cautiously hopeful that one of the perks I was kicking myself most for missing out on by taking too long to decide might still be available to me!

I'm sure I'm going to love my sailing. I'm very excited as she does seem like a superb ship. Thank you! :)

I have sailed solo on the Epic twice, first in a balcony and the second time in a Studio. I attempted to get my key card updated at the Front Desk to have unlimited access the first time. But no go. Didn't matter too much since whenever I showed up at non-Happy Hour times, someone inside already knew me or just opened the door.

Based on my sailing last year i was in a studio i do know of someone sailing solo in a inside got access 24/7.

I also got a posh pass that i purchased and they coded my card to use the Haven Lift up to posh from the pool deck

I have a feeling this is one of those things where a few people have gotten exceptions and then it became expected.

That said ... OP should check again, I bet a studio will open back up.

Edited by perditax

Thanks for the additional insight! I appreciate it.

That said ... OP should check again, I bet a studio will open back up.

I've been checking daily since I booked, just in case, but no such luck so far. When I booked, I asked if I could be on a waiting list, but NCL doesn't do that. I was also told that because we're already in the penalty phase for cancellations, it was unlikely anyway.

Thanks again, everyone!

• 1 month later...

I'm just following up in case anyone else searches for information about this now that I am off the Epic.

It was reported in some threads before I left (on 8/25) that solo gatherings on some ships were moved from the lounge to public places to alleviate the need for lounge access. All solo gatherings on my cruise (8/26 to 9/2) were in the Studio Lounge.

I did not have keycard access to the Studio Lounge no matter what time of day, even during the time of the gathering. I was knocking on the door on the fourth night of my cruise at the same time that the head of some cruise ship division was trying to come in to give a talk about purchasing upcoming cruises (I can't remember her title), and she said to me, "If you don't have access, you should be able to get it from Guest Services."

Basically, that says to me that even management personnel from divisions other than Guest Services think that all solos should have access and that Guest Services can provide it. I assured her that every time I had needed to access the lounge someone was there to let me in, and my cruise was more than halfway over, so I was fine not having to go to Guest Services. Considering how much I was stressing about not having access before the cruise, you can tell (a) how much the cruise itself relaxed me and (b) how little I actually needed access. :)

Not having access did not dampen anything for me one bit, and when I did need access, people were more than happy to let me in. Hope this helps any solo not booked in a Studio cabin in the future.

On the NCL Getaway I managed to get 24/7 access by having my keycard coded for access at guest services.

The singles host had said this was possible as the studios were all sold out and people who had wanted a studio were in inside cabins etc.

Guest services were reluctant to do it till I mentioned the singles host name and then it was no problem.

Lounge is pretty empty most of the time but I found access to the vending machine useful and for a late night coffee.

Hope this helps.

My most recent experience was on the Getaway last month. Solo gatherings were held in several different areas, some bars and some the solo lounge. I attempted to attend at one of the bars and no one showed up.

That aside, I have visited the solo lounge while in an inside cabin on other cruises and they had propped the door open for the evening get togethers. I have never received total access but I never thought to ask for it either.

I think it is just cruise by cruise how much the solos get together. I missed it on this last cruise but I did not actually try to go very often.

I was easily able to get in 24/7 on the Breakaway from a balcony- i actually took a balcony one time near the entrance- however there is so much to do on the ship you really don't need the lounge other than the solo gathering which is open to everyone regardless if they are in a studio or not.

I would not give up a balcony for a studio- although the studio is fine it is great having the extra space to unpack and the fresh air