Flying into Miami

angiem0217

That is cutting it VERY close. Land on time at 11:30, get to the luggage pick up grab your luggage then grab a cab and get to the pier easily can be 1-2 hours. If anything goes wrong at all you miss the ship. We have done the fly in same day thing and fly in the day before. It was MUCH better flying the day before. Same day, the entire first day of the cruise is almost a waste because you are all worn out form getting up so early, flying, and rushing to the ship. Flying in the day before you start your cruise on a good nights sleep and the entire cruise is just much more enjoyable!

That is cutting it VERY close. Land on time at 11:30, get to the luggage pick up grab your luggage then grab a cab and get to the pier easily can be 1-2 hours. If anything goes wrong at all you miss the ship. We have done the fly in same day thing and fly in the day before. It was MUCH better flying the day before. Same day, the entire first day of the cruise is almost a waste because you are all worn out form getting up so early, flying, and rushing to the ship. Flying in the day before you start your cruise on a good nights sleep and the entire cruise is just much more enjoyable!

Agree. I have done both and much prefer day before.

Not sure where you are flying from or time of year, but there could be weather delays and then you're stuck trying to figure out how to catch up with the ship.

We always try to fly in the day before (although weather has delayed us into flying in the same day) just to be on the safe side.

If there is no delay you will be fine. But you never know beforehand. I would say fly in the day before, because even if it's winter and you are flying in from a hot place, the plane can still have a delay.

Most of the time the plane is originating from another place and if it's snowing there (assuming it's winter) she most probably will leave late. Miami is a great place to spend a couple of days.

11:30 arrival at MIA would get you to the port about 1pm....plenty of time.

Why don't you contact NCL for a bus pickup at MIA to take you directly to the ship? I watched the buses coming and going constantly on embarkation days from where I worked downtown.

We are flying from New Orleans leaves at 5 am and arrives in Mia at 11:30. The difference in price is around $600 less to fly the day of. If it wasn't such a difference I would never even think about flying day of.

We flew from New York to Miami the same morning. I believe we arrived in Miami about 11:00am and we had no issues at all grabbed a car service and was actually at the terminal before they started boarding.

But as people have mentioned it is risky. It depends on the time of year. If you get postponed for any reason you would be cutting it close.

We are flying from New Orleans leaves at 5 am and arrives in Mia at 11:30. The difference in price is around $600 less to fly the day of. If it wasn't such a difference I would never even think about flying day of.

Then you're changing planes somewhere and that adds another layer to it. If it was direct, I would risk it. A layover somewhere? Probably not.

Can you check flights two days before? With Priceline on the room you would still save more then the $600. I'd also check other airports like Ft. Lauderdale which is less than an hour away. Like tarps pointed out, you have a connection to add to the mix.

What time does the ship leave? We've always flown into FL and left that day. Maybe we're just lucky and never had issues. We also have only done this in the summer when there's not threat of snow up here to block us in.

Honestly, I prefer to fly into Ft Lauderdale and take the shuttle down to the Miami port. I hate Miami airport. We almost missed our flight home from our honeymoon not because we were late getting to the airport, but because they were so slow checking us in. Hours and hours of BS.

If I was taking another cruise out of Miami I'd have no problem booking a flight into FL landing at 11:30. I would, if possible, schedule the transfer from the airport to the boat through the cruiseline.

We're flying in the same day - arrive at 11:53 - taking a gamble but we gotta do what we gotta do! :eek:

I wouldn't you can't predict airline delays that can happen for any reason without warning.

I flew out of Laguardia last week - absolutely perfect weather. No one could have anticipated the power outage caused by a worker that resulted in numerous cancellations and delays.

I overheard a couple trying to make a cruise. They were panicked, frazzled and trying everything they could to switch airports. Not sure what happened, as my gate changed, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in their shoes.

We have decided to go the night before. Thanks for the advice, I found a cheaper flight so it is not as expensive.

For the next time, I would recommend using kayak.com and selecting nearby airports. As another poster points out, FLL is often less expensive than MIA. There may be a less expensive option on your end as well - I know there is on mine.