"Free" Ultimate Beverage Package Questions

les2sfm

We have booked an aft balcony on the Jewel sailing in Nov. We opted for the "free" Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) as our bonus included with the cabin. I have read a lot of threads on the UBP, but most are older. Looking for anyone who has recent experience with the UBP, especially if you got it for "free". Here are some of my questions:

1. The UBP fine print says that there is an 18% gratuity on package purchases. Is that assessed on each drink or only the cost of the package? How do they handle the 18% gratuity for those who get the UBP for "free"?

2. Does anyone have an idea of what they consider premium or excluded spirits? If you happen to know, some of our favorites are Pendleton, Crown Royal, and Grey Goose.

3. Anyone know what beers are included?

4. And finally, on the 18% gratuity. Do most of you tip above that to the server? If so, what would be considered typical? Do the servers expect the extra?

Anyone with feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And BTW, we are not heavy drinkers - I'm just OCD on knowing what to expect.

Thanks!

1. If you booked before June 1, your 18% gratuities are already covered along with the free package. If you booked after June 1, 18% of the cost of the package has been added to your account, and will need to be paid when your final payment is made. Either way, you will not be charged at the time you purchase drinks, because it's already covered.

2. Grey Goose and Crown are included. I don't personally know what the other is. There might be 3 or so liquors on the entire ship that aren't included. 99.9% of all drinks you can imagine are included.

3. All beers are included.

4. Some tip above it, and some don't. Totally your choice. Don't bother yourself with what others do.

Feedback/suggestion, since you asked:

Don't overthink this. It's a very, very simple program. It's so simple that many try to complicate it and confuse it because they can't grasp how simple it is. Don't do that.

Edited by LrgPizza

I was told that any drink up to $11 is included, and that if a drink is over $11, you get an $11 discount. So a $13 drink would cost you $2.

What I am wondering is, with all these free beverage packages, are they going to intentionally understaff the bars to make it take longer to get a drink?

I was told that any drink up to $11 is included, and that if a drink is over $11, you get an $11 discount. So a $13 drink would cost you $2.

What I am wondering is, with all these free beverage packages, are they going to intentionally understaff the bars to make it take longer to get a drink?

NO... the cruiseline is not going to understaff bars because people might have the beverage package. Since these have been available I have not noticed a decrease in any staff aboard the ships.

I went through the booking engine yesterday comparing prices. On the NCL site it added somewhere around $68ea which was the gratuity on the package. Either way it is a heck of a deal, it is saving me at least $600 because we always budget in the drink package no matter the cruise line.

Edited by ray98

I did notice significantly longer waits compared to our previous cruise, but it is really hard to compare different cruises on different ships in different parts of the world at different times of the year. I doubt that they are intentionally understaffing the bars, but even with 10 bartenders working at full tilt at the pool bar, when half of the ship is up there for a sailaway party, you are probably going to have to wait for your drink.

If you are willing to walk around the ship, there will always be a quieter bar where you will be served pretty much right away.

I did notice significantly longer waits compared to our previous cruise, but it is really hard to compare different cruises on different ships in different parts of the world at different times of the year. I doubt that they are intentionally understaffing the bars, but even with 10 bartenders working at full tilt at the pool bar, when half of the ship is up there for a sailaway party, you are probably going to have to wait for your drink.

If you are willing to walk around the ship, there will always be a quieter bar where you will be served pretty much right away.

Agree! We have sailed 4 times in the past year with the UBP and haven't had too much of a wait, or have walked on to another bar. Have a great trip:D

Agree! We have sailed 4 times in the past year with the UBP and haven't had too much of a wait, or have walked on to another bar. Have a great trip:D

The only one I've had an extended wait on was the poolside bar

I'm sailing on Epic later this year and have got a free unlimited beverage package as part of the deal.

The small print says that "The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include [...] select Lavazza coffee beverages [...]"

Does anyone know what coffees are included in the UBP (excluding the normal free buffet coffee of course)?

Many thanks,

Pete :)

I'm sailing on Epic later this year and have got a free unlimited beverage package as part of the deal.

The small print says that "The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include [...] select Lavazza coffee beverages [...]"

Does anyone know what coffees are included in the UBP (excluding the normal free buffet coffee of course)?

Many thanks,

Pete :)

Any self serve coffee is free eg. in the atrium from the coffee pot - anything they have to make for you is paid for so all lattes, cappuccinos, espressos you have to pay. At meals, standard coffee served in a pot is free.

Well, the latest promo (which I think is about to end but lasted for two months?) has been giving UBP to everybody who wants it (exception: those booking Studios). This means pretty much anybody who drinks is likely to have selected UBP over the other promos. The longer this "free liquor to them as wants it" promo continues, the greater the incentive for NCL to restrict liquor wait staff. There are plenty of reviews out there that have said two things: (1) longer waits at bars and (2) no longer are pax being "hassled" by waiters looking to make sales. "Aggressive" bar wait staff used to be a common complaint; now it's pretty much the opposite: where are the servers?!

Given all this I think it's a very fair bet (and suspicion) that IN FACT NCL has been cutting back on bar service. Obviously there's a limit -- they need to please customers and if you simply couldn't get a "free" drink no matter how hard you tried, that is going to lead to a lot of negative feelings about the cruise -- NCL already has a fairly well deserved reputation for "bait-and-switch." In the long run restricting liquor service might wind up hurting NCL, but in the short run it's likely the opposite. NCL would hardly be the first corporation to focus on the (VERY) short term when making decisions.

Whereas there used to be a clear incentive for NCL to try to SERVE as much liquor as possible (because there was no UBP and every drink put money into the coffers), there now is a pretty clear incentive for NCL to do the exact opposite since most every drink served dings their bottom line.

If they continue with "free" UBP in the coming months, you should be able to read the writing on the wall: UBP will lose some of its value as NCL puts less emphasis on giving away free liquor.

Well, the latest promo (which I think is about to end but lasted for two months?) has been giving UBP to everybody who wants it (exception: those booking Studios). This means pretty much anybody who drinks is likely to have selected UBP over the other promos. The longer this "free liquor to them as wants it" promo continues, the greater the incentive for NCL to restrict liquor wait staff. There are plenty of reviews out there that have said two things: (1) longer waits at bars and (2) no longer are pax being "hassled" by waiters looking to make sales. "Aggressive" bar wait staff used to be a common complaint; now it's pretty much the opposite: where are the servers?!

Given all this I think it's a very fair bet (and suspicion) that IN FACT NCL has been cutting back on bar service. Obviously there's a limit -- they need to please customers and if you simply couldn't get a "free" drink no matter how hard you tried, that is going to lead to a lot of negative feelings about the cruise -- NCL already has a fairly well deserved reputation for "bait-and-switch." In the long run restricting liquor service might wind up hurting NCL, but in the short run it's likely the opposite. NCL would hardly be the first corporation to focus on the (VERY) short term when making decisions.

Whereas there used to be a clear incentive for NCL to try to SERVE as much liquor as possible (because there was no UBP and every drink put money into the coffers), there now is a pretty clear incentive for NCL to do the exact opposite since most every drink served dings their bottom line.

If they continue with "free" UBP in the coming months, you should be able to read the writing on the wall: UBP will lose some of its value as NCL puts less emphasis on giving away free liquor.

I am in agreement with you.

We took several Celebrity cruises, the first two before the expansion of free beverages packages, the last two when most people seemed to have the package.

Our normal bar went from four staff to two and sometimes ( even during busy times) only one. Wait times increased massively.

The problem with your "suspicion" is that you assume quite incorrectly that everyone chooses the UBP as the choice promotion. In fact this is not even close to the case. Far more say they choose OBC and/or the dining plan because they claim they are "not big drinkers".

The other fact you are neglecting is that as far as the cost of providing these benefits are concerned, fare prices have been adjusted to cover the average cost (not retail price but the cost to the cruiseline) of the items offered. For every one person who takes full advantage of the free UBP there are others who will fall far short. Bottom line is not really affected negatively by people ordering drinks.

I have not noticed any reduction in the amount of bar service staff since these packages were implemented, and I think that your "suspicions" of reducing the staff to limit the amount of free liquor being consumed is preposterous. Why not just water down the drinks if that was the case... or close all the bars... or better yet, put a limit per day like some other lines do on the UBP?

We've used the same methods with the crew and our level of beverage service has not changed at all.

More and more cruise lines are pressured by the rest to have all inclusive drink packages, not to mention the competition with the Caribbean all inclusive resorts. I suspect this is the new norm for all cruises in the near to distant future.

More and more cruise lines are pressured by the rest to have all inclusive drink packages, not to mention the competition with the Caribbean all inclusive resorts. I suspect this is the new norm for all cruises in the near to distant future.

I am thinking you may be right on the all inclusive drink topic. I think NCL putting one ship with all inclusive drink package is a way to look at the costs. There are cruise lines that offer more inclusive packages so perhaps this is something NCL may consider for certain itineraries.

I am thinking you may be right on the all inclusive drink topic. I think NCL putting one ship with all inclusive drink package is a way to look at the costs. There are cruise lines that offer more inclusive packages so perhaps this is something NCL may consider for certain itineraries.

I feel the entire industry is headed in this direction. I'm sure some disagree, but in the next 10 years or so I bet you will see.

We are "not big drinkers" either, so when booking our cruise, I originally chose the UDP. Then I did the math and switched to the free UBP and bought the UDP. The UBP free is a much, much better deal, even if you are only a moderate drinker. I think a lot of people are going to choose it. Even if NCL does not reduce bar staff or bar hours, there will be more people buying drinks, so longer wait times.

I'm not a fan of the drinks at all-inclusive resorts. They tend to be watered down and not premium brands. Maybe this is ok for people who like quantity over quality, but I will take one top shelf martini over gallons of watered-down sugary punch, which is what you get at a lot of those resorts.

And the drunks tend to choose the all-inclusive resorts, so you are not necessarily hanging out with the best people.

Didn't Carnival used to be all-inclusive years ago? Isn't this how they got their reputation as a party line?

If NCL goes all-inclusive, that would be a reason for me NOT to sail with them, especially if I travel with my kids.

We are "not big drinkers" either, so when booking our cruise, I originally chose the UDP. Then I did the math and switched to the free UBP and bought the UDP. The UBP free is a much, much better deal, even if you are only a moderate drinker. I think a lot of people are going to choose it. Even if NCL does not reduce bar staff or bar hours, there will be more people buying drinks, so longer wait times.

I'm not a fan of the drinks at all-inclusive resorts. They tend to be watered down and not premium brands. Maybe this is ok for people who like quantity over quality, but I will take one top shelf martini over gallons of watered-down sugary punch, which is what you get at a lot of those resorts.

And the drunks tend to choose the all-inclusive resorts, so you are not necessarily hanging out with the best people.

Didn't Carnival used to be all-inclusive years ago? Isn't this how they got their reputation as a party line?

If NCL goes all-inclusive, that would be a reason for me NOT to sail with them, especially if I travel with my kids.

The pressure to go all inclusive isn't just from the bottom of the barrel but the top as well. The luxury lines have always been all inclusive. But now, the upper premium are moving this direction as well. I just sailed the celebrity reflection in the med and nearly everyone on the ship had the beverage package from their 123Go! promotion. When everyone, including the premium lines, has promotions like this; it's only a matter of time before all the mass market lines do as well.

I told somebody a few months ago on here that I've heard from many people in the know even before Del Rio check charge that Ncl wanted to go after a 18-35 demographic that's why the sky is now completely all inclusive and most of their deals monthly include the ultimate beverage package. There will always be a place for families but this is a new day in cruising. Don't fret it's ok relax have fun and party the night away

I am booked on the epic on August 16 and when I booked through a travel agent the ubp wasn't on offer. My question is would it make sense to buy this or how expensive are the drinks on board? I will be doing excursions all the days we are in port. I presume the price is set out to an average amount people drink. I enjoy a drink but probably won't spend the week getting smashed