Nickle and Dime on NCL?

Tyklop3

I just booked my 2nd cruise. I booked with NCL on the Breakaway. I booked the same destination as before, Bermuda. Our first cruise was on Celebrity. We loved every min of the Celebrity cruise. We did sit with a family at dinner who told us we made a mistake making Celebrity our first cruise experience. They said no other line would be as good :(.

While looking for cabin info I saw a couple of comments about NCL nickle and dimeing you. Our experience with Celebrity we only had to pay for a few drinks. We took a case of soda on board in our carry on luggage. We also paid extra for the kids club. That was it, other wise we had no extra charges. We opted not to eat at any of the specialty restaurants aboard Celebrity, but partook in most of the entertainment.

Can anyone give input as to any extra charges or things that may not be included in the cruise cost?

Please stop. I say this as someone who does think NCL has been going in this direction. Mildly. There are already a bunch of threads like this. We don't need another.

I beg everyone reading this thread. Do not post. I dare you not to post.

I just booked my 2nd cruise. I booked with NCL on the Breakaway. I booked the same destination as before, Bermuda. Our first cruise was on Celebrity. We loved every min of the Celebrity cruise. We did sit with a family at dinner who told us we made a mistake making Celebrity our first cruise experience. They said no other line would be as good :(.

While looking for cabin info I saw a couple of comments about NCL nickle and dimeing you. Our experience with Celebrity we only had to pay for a few drinks. We took a case of soda on board in our carry on luggage. We also paid extra for the kids club. That was it, other wise we had no extra charges. We opted not to eat at any of the specialty restaurants aboard Celebrity, but partook in most of the entertainment.

Can anyone give input as to any extra charges or things that may not be included in the cruise cost?

There is no more nickel and diming on NCL than there is on Celebrity or any other mass market line. It is entirely possible to spend not one penny after you board the ship and you will have a great time. The free options are more than adequate if that is the way you want to go. Just like on Celebrity if you want adult beverages you will have to pay for those and you have to pay for specialty restaurants (but that is true on all the lines). (I would urge you however to leave the service charges that go to the crew alone.)

Please stop. I say this as someone who does think NCL has been going in this direction. Mildly. There are already a bunch of threads like this. We don't need another.

Sorry, I didn't read the thread this far... but I always fail at dares....apparently. ;)

Stephen

On NCL you don't even have to pay for the kid's clubs, although a gratuity to the staff is appreciated.

No more other costs than on any other cruise line.... you don't have to buy photos, eat at the up charge restaurants or use the spa and treatments.

Is your cruise this year or next ? If it's next year you can cancel with no penalty and go back on the Summit.

Like any other line, and remember back to your Celebrity cruise; there are things extra you can pay for or you can choose to go with the basics. This has been discussed here about 4 or 5 times, just in the past week or so. You don't want to play bingo, use the spa, gamble, eat in specialty dining rooms, have room service, there is no reason to spend a lot of extra money. As for Celebrity compared to NCL or other lines, it is a matter of opinion. I have found Princess passengers and Celebrity to be the most loyal and almost over the top in their love for thier favorite line.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Why, does it somehow offend you? That would be weird if it does.

There is a big difference between Celebrity and NCL. On Celebrity, there is 1 announcement at noon everyday by the Captain and he makes no sales pitches. On NCL, there are numerous announcements throughout the day advertising bingo, gold sales, drinks specials, shops specials - the list goes on and on. On Celebrity, room service is free. On NCL, room service costs $7.95. On Celebrity, you probably never felt pressure or a desire to eat in a specialty restaurant because the MDR is pretty good. I wish I could say the same for NCL. So yes, I guarantee you'll feel more nickle and dimed on NCL than you did on Celebrity. NCL doesn't have this reputation for no reason.

There is no more nickel and diming on NCL than there is on Celebrity or any other mass market line. It is entirely possible to spend not one penny after you board the ship and you will have a great time. The free options are more than adequate if that is the way you want to go. Just like on Celebrity if you want adult beverages you will have to pay for those and you have to pay for specialty restaurants (but that is true on all the lines). (I would urge you however to leave the service charges that go to the crew alone.)

We cruise both Celebrity and NCL.

Yes, the choice to spend is up to the passenger, but Celebrity doesn't push stuff on you as much as NCL.

When you first arrive on board, with Celebrity, you are provided a drink, usually a glass of champagne. NCL offers you drinks, but if you didn't ask and you take one and drink it there is a fee.

NCL seems to use the PA system to push sales. Also, if you go to the spa, they will hard sell expensive extras.

Photographers are aggressive on NCL, in particular, just getting off the ship is a pan, with the photographers blocking your way until you take a photo with someone in a costume.

Both lines have photographers that come to your dinner table for photos. Just say no.

Photographers are aggressive on NCL, in particular, just getting off the ship is a pan, with the photographers blocking your way until you take a photo with someone in a costume.

An otherwise reasonable post ruined by this ridiculous bit. Nobody blocks your way off the ship. The photographers are usually there with someone in costume, but they are not aggressive, not directly in anyone's way, and easily by-passed.

An otherwise reasonable post ruined by this ridiculous bit. Nobody blocks your way off the ship. The photographers are usually there with someone in costume, but they are not aggressive, not directly in anyone's way, and easily by-passed.

I always do my best 'trapped' face when getting one of these photos. 'Everyone say kidnapped' ... click

I haven't seen this. In fact, it's the exact opposite of our experiences. We have commented several times about the lack of photos being taken. I think on each of our cruises last year we had a total of 3 the entire cruise. I never saw anyone in a dining room, nor did I ever see anyone when getting off the ship at ports. Weird. We would have been happy with more photo ops. We only saw the usual/expected photographers standing around public areas at dinner times, and they never pressured or even spoke to us.

<<<Photographers are aggressive on NCL, in particular, just getting off the ship is a pan, with the photographers blocking your way until you take a photo with someone in a costume.

Both lines have photographers that come to your dinner table for photos. Just say no.>>>

It's been 6 years since we sailed NCL, we're going next year. Is there now a charge for having your photo taken?

<<<Photographers are aggressive on NCL, in particular, just getting off the ship is a pan, with the photographers blocking your way until you take a photo with someone in a costume.

Both lines have photographers that come to your dinner table for photos. Just say no.>>>

It's been 6 years since we sailed NCL, we're going next year. Is there now a charge for having your photo taken?

No charge unless you decide to buy the picture. Also, I've never found photographers aggressive. None have ever blocked my way getting off the ship and, although I sometimes see them in the dining rooms or restaurants, they always seem to miss us.

Will it cost me an nickle or dime to post? On NCL it will require a whole bunch of nickles and dimes! :cool:

Disagree, we have been held up several times getting off the ship due to the photographer's backup. We have had to step over the rope several times just to get around the photographer with the stupid guy in the costume. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens way too frequently.

If all things ere equal NCL is not really that different than any other main stream line. Unfortunately you have sailed on one of the higher end main stream lines and may notice a difference. Food for one is a big one. You will need to go to the speacialty (pay restaurents) in order to receive specific food that you probably would find for free on Celebrity or RCL or even Holland America.

Lobster is one example as well as shrimp cocktail you won't be getting without paying extra. Escargot is another as well as Osso Boco and as you look further, other dishes as well. To me there's less free food choices on the NCL ships because of the constant push for the pay restaurants for dishes I see for free on other lines. So to me there's this perception of nickle and diming.

If you don't care about the food choices then you will enjoy NCL completely as entertainment is good and it is very similar to other lines in most comparisons.

A word of caution though, the Breakawaypool is small and holds less than 50 or so people for a 3,000+ ship which can have close to 1,000 additional children passengers during the peak seasons.

Enjoy your vacation you should have a good time no matter what.

The worst charge is the room service of $7.95 if you are not in a suite or higher category. Most things on a cruise you can personally take control of, even how you tip. All mass market lines have a lot of sales pitches but you can choose not to take advantage of.

No charge unless you decide to buy the picture.

And the person taking your photo doesn't bring up the sales part at all. They snap and leave. It's up to you to go to the photo gallery later, look through the photos, and then the the ones you want to buy. No one approached us while we were browsing the photos or suggested we throw in an album or a bobblehead.

I was surprised by how non-aggressive the photographers were on our cruise, considering the complaints. There was one specialty restaurant evening where I'd have like to have had a photo but he skipped our table. And apparently waiting 20 minutes to get off the ship meant missing the costumed characters completely.

Re: room service fee on NCL. It's totally optional to utilize room service. I think we did about 18 cruises before we even bothered to order coffee in the morning. (and AFAIK that's still available with no charge).

Re: Photogs. Never had any trouble saying "no" to any photographer on any line. So what if we were held up a bit by a crowd in front of us? It's vacation, chillax. We just scooted around them or said "no, thanks". Or we stopped and had our picture taken and then, usually, never even looked at them later. Ditto for the MDR photogs. A little "Jedi" hand wave as they approach the table works great.

Edited by srlafleur

Disagree, we have been held up several times getting off the ship due to the photographer's backup. We have had to step over the rope several times just to get around the photographer with the stupid guy in the costume. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens way too frequently.

You're not describing aggressive photographers who won't let you pass until you let them take your picture. You're simply describing a logjam caused by the photographer taking others photos. The first doesn't happen. The second is not aggressive nickel and dining.

"On NCL, room service costs $7.95. On Celebrity, you probably never felt pressure or a desire to eat in a specialty restaurant because the MDR is pretty good. I wish I could say the same for NCL."

That used to be true. When was your last NCL cruise? We sailed the Getaway a few weeks ago and planned to do a few specialty restaurants but didn't bother because the MDR food had improved dramatically. And the now free noodle bar was delicious.

Sky in September. Escape in November. Can't wait.

Disclaimer: Not an NCL loyalist or apologist