Breakaway / Getaway Fireworks

I'm hearing rumors from folks on both ships that fireworks are ending soon, as early as 8/1/15. Did anyone else hear anything about this? CC doesn't have an article but it's been speculated by people on those ships for two weeks and now today a date was thrown out there saying this week was the last week.

Anyone know?

Read this from a TA:

From Norwegian:

As of 8/1/15 we will no longer offer fireworks on board Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway. It’s technically-challenging to execute and takes a very large amount of manpower and we want to ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible. Thanks!

Read this from a TA:

From Norwegian:

As of 8/1/15 we will no longer offer fireworks on board Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway. It’s technically-challenging to execute and takes a very large amount of manpower and we want to ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible. Thanks!

Where did you find that?

Hi russianmom - Thanks for posting that. When the rumor mill flies it can sometimes be false but given that it was people on BOTH ships saying it, it really made me wonder if anyone shore-side had info on it. Sometimes we get our info from those actually sailing (or working in this case) on the ships before we get it from the shore-side operations. :cool:

Time to cancel the overpriced Carlo's cake I had ordered for Friday night's fireworks from my Aft PH. If they feel they cancel things on me left and right, I think it is time to do the same.

You better rethink that as I'm sure ending their relationship w/ Carlo's is next.... "for your convenience" :eek:

You better rethink that as I'm sure ending their relationship w/ Carlo's is next.... "for your convenience" :eek:

You'd think after all the partnerships they have dumped, his would have been the first to go considering he had a run-in with the law. I guess something fishy (ie Geoffrey) is going on. LOL :rolleyes: :D ;)

Is this actually confirmed? I saw it posted in an online group, but only 1 TA seems to have gotten the word...

I've heard it from people who work on those ships and no I will not be providing names of those people. However, sometimes it can be just crew rumors which is why I come here and ask. :) I trust those sources but a lot of CCers tend to get their information from those sources and that's why I'm wondering why no one else had posted about it yet or what the super secret is? I mean they're cutting back already so why not just add this to the list for the sake of never ending unlimited alcohol promotions? :eek::rolleyes:

I guess we'll know if its true after the the people boarding this weekend return from their cruises.

If it is true, I am disappointed. We loved the fireworks on breakaway last year. When I took the leap to splurge on an aft suite for my Feb 2016 Getaway cruise, the thought of the spectacular view for the fireworks definitely played into my decision.

Very disappointed. I thought it sounded really cool and our 11 year old was excited. Yeah, you can see fireworks on land, but the idea of seeing them in the middle of the ocean, from aboard a giant cruise ship added something special. I hope they rethink this.

I hope this isn't true......that is one of the reasons we booked the Getaway. :confused:

If it is true, it is just as someone put it, another day another cutback. :mad

I am not sure about the rationale of '... we want to ensure we're focusing on the best overall guest experience possible.' How is less than what we thought we were getting a better overall guest experience....less is more? :rolleyes:

Will the tech people be losing their jobs or will they move the 'large amount of manpower' to other areas of the ship? Fireworks are very expensive; I would not be surprised that this is just a budget cut....again.

I hope this isn't true......that is one of the reasons we booked the Getaway. :confused:

If it is true, it is just as someone put it, another day another cutback. :mad

I am not sure about the rationale of '... we want to ensure we're focusing on the best overall guest experience possible.' How is less than what we thought we were getting a better overall guest experience....less is more? :rolleyes:

Will the tech people be losing their jobs or will they move the 'large amount of manpower' to other areas of the ship? Fireworks are very expensive; I would not be surprised that this is just a budget cut....again.

For the "tech people" setting off the fireworks it was an ADDED responsibility to their other positions. the one I know come from the Deck Department with the ship's Safety Officer in charge.

Having watch from a very up close position- too close for my comfort. I have to admire anyone willing to do it. Ship Safety Officers' have a special place in my heart in the first place. But he scared me badly watching how this is done in June.

Are there honestly people that booked an entire cruise simply because of a 5 minute fireworks show, that might or might not have happened anyway because of the wind? Seriously? I'll send you a box of bottle rockets right now. It wasn't any big deal at all.

Are there honestly people that booked an entire cruise simply because of a 5 minute fireworks show, that might or might not have happened anyway because of the wind? Seriously? I'll send you a box of bottle rockets right now. It wasn't any big deal at all.

Sole reason for booking? No. Factor into choice of ship, and especially choice of cabin? Absolutely.

Agree, it wasn't guaranteed and it doesn't compare to a "real" fireworks show, but it was fun and something to look forward to. Will I cancel my cruise over this? No. Will I pout the whole time and ruin my fun? No. Am I still disappointed? Yes.

Edited by garnet115

Sole reason for booking? No. Factor into choice of ship, and especially choice of cabin? Absolutely.

Agree, it wasn't guaranteed and it doesn't compare to a "real" fireworks show, but it was fun and something to look forward to. Will I cancel my cruise over this? No. Will I pout the whole time and ruin my fun? No. Am I still disappointed? Yes.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.