Live from the Spirit - Grand Med 1st Aug

KeithJenner

Writing this in Barcelona, where we will be boarding the Spirit on Saturday for the Grand Mediterranean cruise to Venice.

As I've done a couple of times recently, rather than write a review after the cruise, I've started this thread so I can post any comments as I go along, and also try to answer any questions that anyone may want me to try to answer. I can't promise an answer to everything (questions about the Gym are unlikely to get an answer unless I'm looking for something to pass the time at some point and make a special trip there for example), but I'll have a go.

Any questions then ask away. I'll report back when I get chance.

Writing this in Barcelona, where we will be boarding the Spirit on Saturday for the Grand Mediterranean cruise to Venice.

As I've done a couple of times recently, rather than write a review after the cruise, I've started this thread so I can post any comments as I go along, and also try to answer any questions that anyone may want me to try to answer. I can't promise an answer to everything (questions about the Gym are unlikely to get an answer unless I'm looking for something to pass the time at some point and make a special trip there for example), but I'll have a go.

Thanks so much! Please let us know your cabin location/# and what you think of it. Also how the menus/food/shows are as well! :)

We are taking the same cruise on September 25th. Looking forward to reading about your trip. Which terminal are you departing from and could you let us know if there is a duty free shop either before or after check in.

Edited by marbleski
should be august 25th

I'm on this sailing on August 25 so I'm very curious what parties/theme nights are in what ports. Ditto any special nights for dining. I want to rearrange our specialty dining now if need be to avoid any hassle onboard.

We are taking the same cruise on September 25th. Looking forward to reading about your trip. Which terminal are you departing from and could you let us know if there is a duty free shop either before or after check in.

I can answer this now, as this will be the fifth time that we've sailed from Barcelona.

The terminal changes depending on what other ships are in port on the same day, so the one we sail from won't necessarily be the same one that the Spirit uses on other cruises.

However, there has been a duty free shop after check in at every Barcelona terminal I have used. Many people mention it on here as a way of taking wine onboard without paying corkage.

It isn't that simple though. It is pot luck whether they have scanners as you enter the ship. I have purchased wine from that shop and had to pay the corkage on a couple of occasions. Be prepared to have to pay it if you do buy some wine from that shop. In my experience they have scanners on boarding more often than not.

The real problem is that if they do scan you in boarding and you have to pay the corkage then you will have paid a lot more for your wine than is necessary. The wine I usually buy costs 10 Euros from that shop (maybe even more now). I bought the same wine for €3.70 today from the supermarket on La Ramblas. It is only €5 from a more expensive shop.

Thanks so much! Please let us know your cabin location/# and what you think of it. Also how the menus/food/shows are as well! :)

We will be in 10686, which we selected specifically due to the location and because it is an odd layout se we wanted to try it. I will be reporting back on it afterwards as it is different.

The menus will be the standard NCL ones, which we are very happy with. We eat at the buffet/blue lagoon fairly often as we have our son with us and we don't fancy a full meal every day.

I'll report back if we go to any shows, but we don't usually bother with the main theatre shows. We go to the occasional ones, but much prefer music in the bars. Last time we were on the Spirit, we particularly enjoyed listening to Pablo in Henry's Pub. I have no idea whether he is onboard now, or what they have instead, but we will see.

I'm on this sailing on August 25 so I'm very curious what parties/theme nights are in what ports. Ditto any special nights for dining. I want to rearrange our specialty dining now if need be to avoid any hassle onboard.

I will try to scan and post the dailies at the end of the trip, which should answer some of these questions. I'll post anything I notice as we go through, but I will probably miss things.

Look forward to you report!

My wife and I are considering this cruise next year September/October time frame.

How about your pre-stay in Barcelona? Where are you staying? Any not to miss Tapa bars or restaurants?

Thanks

My wife and I are considering this cruise next year September/October time frame.

How about your pre-stay in Barcelona? Where are you staying? Any not to miss Tapa bars or restaurants?

Thanks

We stay at the Alexandra (Doubletree) which we really like. A decent location just off Passieg de Gracia. There are loads of good hotels in Barcelona though, so it's probably best to decide on the best location for what you want to do and then see what hotels are nearby.

We aren't that fussed about Tapas, so I'm not the best person to recommend particular places. Loads of options though, and we've never had a bad experience. No place has ever particularly stood out though.

We do enjoy the Magic Fountain. Worth seeing, and generally a really fun atmosphere. There is loads to do in Barcelona, so give yourself a few days.

We will be in 10686, which we selected specifically due to the location and because it is an odd layout se we wanted to try it. I will be reporting back on it afterwards as it is different.

The menus will be the standard NCL ones, which we are very happy with. We eat at the buffet/blue lagoon fairly often as we have our son with us and we don't fancy a full meal every day.

I'll report back if we go to any shows, but we don't usually bother with the main theatre shows. We go to the occasional ones, but much prefer music in the bars. Last time we were on the Spirit, we particularly enjoyed listening to Pablo in Henry's Pub. I have no idea whether he is onboard now, or what they have instead, but we will see.

Thanks! Your room choice looks so unique! We chose 10526 because it does not connect- not sure if it makes a difference with noise. We have only been on the Getaway- so we are hoping we won't be dissapointed with the smaller Spirit. You say your son travels with you- is he a teen? Our son is 16 and will be with us on the Spirit in DEC so we are hoping they have a fun group for the teen program for him...

You did right to avoid a connecting room. We had one last time on the Spirit and the door really let the noise through.

Our son is currently 10. We were a little concerned first time we went on the Spirit, as he had only previously been on the Epic and Pearl, but he loved it. It may not be quite as relevant for you, as your son is older, but we found that as there aren't as many bells and whistles on the ship, the staff (especially in the kids club) have to work harder which makes for a better experience, if that makes sense.

I enjoy the ships of all sizes, and they all have their pros and cons, but certainly for us the Spirit is just as good as the bigger ships.

I can answer this now, as this will be the fifth time that we've sailed from Barcelona.

The terminal changes depending on what other ships are in port on the same day, so the one we sail from won't necessarily be the same one that the Spirit uses on other cruises.

However, there has been a duty free shop after check in at every Barcelona terminal I have used. Many people mention it on here as a way of taking wine onboard without paying corkage.

It isn't that simple though. It is pot luck whether they have scanners as you enter the ship. I have purchased wine from that shop and had to pay the corkage on a couple of occasions. Be prepared to have to pay it if you do buy some wine from that shop. In my experience they have scanners on boarding more often than not.

The real problem is that if they do scan you in boarding and you have to pay the corkage then you will have paid a lot more for your wine than is necessary. The wine I usually buy costs 10 Euros from that shop (maybe even more now). I bought the same wine for €3.70 today from the supermarket on La Ramblas. It is only €5 from a more expensive shop.

We're very excited about our upcoming cruise on the Oct 12th sailing. It is our 1st time on Norwegian. Thank you for the information regarding bringing wine on board, as I'm also hoping to do this. Even with the corkage charges, it appears to be cheaper than buying it by the glass or bottle on the ship.

I did look at pre-ordering and was disappointed to see that you cannot purchase a bottle of hard liquor for your cabin. I seem to recall being able to do that on our Holland cruise - I may be wrong.

I'm really looking forward to your reviews about the cruise. Have a wonderful time.

You did right to avoid a connecting room. We had one last time on the Spirit and the door really let the noise through.

Our son is currently 10. We were a little concerned first time we went on the Spirit, as he had only previously been on the Epic and Pearl, but he loved it. It may not be quite as relevant for you, as your son is older, but we found that as there aren't as many bells and whistles on the ship, the staff (especially in the kids club) have to work harder which makes for a better experience, if that makes sense.

I enjoy the ships of all sizes, and they all have their pros and cons, but certainly for us the Spirit is just as good as the bigger ships.

Thanks so much! :)

Thanks for the information. We have the drink package but might pick up a bottle if they do not have the scanners. Furthermore can you pick up a case of water at the duty free shop and carry it on with you.

Thanks

We are staying at Casp74 for three nights later this month. Our friends stayed there and they indicated it was great. Reviews are all positive.

Lots of room for our family of four. Quiet area but still close to the main attractions.

I did look at pre-ordering and was disappointed to see that you cannot purchase a bottle of hard liquor for your cabin.

This has been possible in the past (we did it as recently as last Christmas/New Year's), but you have to call them, you can't do it online. You can also buy liquor by the bottle from the ship's bars, and take it back to your cabin with a few mixers. Unless things have changed very recently. Edited by hawkeyetlse

Count me in as another person who is excited to follow your posts. We are on this cruise in September. I'm curious if you know the earliest time you can drop off your luggage at the port. We are hoping to be able to drop off our stuff and go back to tour the city for a bit before actually boarding. Sadly we only arrive one day before we depart and there is so much to see in Barcelona.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

To answer a couple of questions. We arrived at port at about 10.50am and they were taking luggage, but I'm not sure how long they had been doing so for (we are in boarding group 1 and it's still very quiet here). That's the earliest we have ever arrived at Barcelona, so I'm not sure how much earlier you can drop off bags.

Muster drill is at 4.30pm.

Thanks for the information. We have the drink package but might pick up a bottle if they do not have the scanners. Furthermore can you pick up a case of water at the duty free shop and carry it on with you.

Yes, the shop has water but it's expensive (€8 for six big bottles). Again, I would buy it in Barcelona if you want to take any onboard. You can carry on as much water as you want.

Room 10686 is a great cabin on this ship. The standard balcony rooms are the smallest I've been in on NCL, but this one is a really decent size and the balcony is double length.

Raffles Terrace is very close. The only possible issue could be noise from people passing by to get to the kids pool.

Really pleased with our choice.