Question in general

wernew2cruising

DH and I are thinking of doing a Mexican Riviera cruise in February. We have never done this itinerary...actually never sailed on the West coast before so I have some questions for you seasoned cruisers.

We are use to the horribly high humidity of the Caribbean (Belize) and I am wondering if it is the same for the Riviera. Will I take the same type of clothes for this trip as I do for the typical Caribbean cruise? For some reason I keep thinking this will be cooler weather.

I see that in two of the ports there are whale watching excursions - Cabo and PV. What is there to do in Mazatlan? We are not go sit on the beach and drink kind of people. We like history but to be honest it kind of worries me to wander far with all the things I hear in the news.

Thanks for the help.

We have been on this cruise many times and have never been worried about walking around even at night. We try to go places where the locals go, not where tourists go.

We don't do beaches either. In Mazatlan, we go to the Church and wander around the Mercado. There are small restaurants upstairs. Then we head to Plaza Machado, then follow the Blue Line (painted in the middle of the street) back to the ship. Along the way, we like to go into Nidart for handicrafts. If it is warm, we like to get raspasados (shaved ice) from the cart across from the church. We don't go to the Zona Dorada (Gold Zone) as it is where all the hotels and all-inclusives are and caters to tourists.

Outside the pier are taxis and pulmonias (open air taxis that are found only here). You can negotiate with the drivers to take you on a tour of the city. We found the ones outside the pier to be cheaper than inside the pier.

In Cabo, there is a small museum (donations requested) about a 10 minute walk, that tells about the history of Baja Cal.

We have cruised to the Mexican Riviera every month between Oct-April and I have always worn shorts and a t-shirt.

The Pacific is rougher than the Caribbean. Especially coming North as the ship is sailing against the Southerly currents. If you are prone to seasickness, get a cabin in the middle and low. Do not get a cabin in the front. If the seas are rough, West coast cruisers can always tell the Caribbean cruisers because they are usually the ones starting to turn green.

Edited by Rosefloater

We have been on this cruise many times and have never been worried about walking around even at night. We try to go places where the locals go, not where tourists go.

We don't do beaches either. In Mazatlan, we go to the Church and wander around the Mercado. There are small restaurants upstairs. Then we head to Plaza Machado, then follow the Blue Line (painted in the middle of the street) back to the ship. Along the way, we like to go into Nidart for handicrafts. If it is warm, we like to get raspasados (shaved ice) from the cart across from the church. We don't go to the Zona Dorada (Gold Zone) as it is where all the hotels and all-inclusives are and caters to tourists.

Outside the pier are taxis and pulmonias (open air taxis that are found only here). You can negotiate with the drivers to take you on a tour of the city. We found the ones outside the pier to be cheaper than inside the pier.

In Cabo, there is a small museum (donations requested) about a 10 minute walk, that tells about the history of Baja Cal.

We have cruised to the Mexican Riviera every month between Oct-April and I have always worn shorts and a t-shirt.

The Pacific is rougher than the Caribbean. Especially coming North as the ship is sailing against the Southerly currents. If you are prone to seasickness, get a cabin in the middle and low. Do not get a cabin in the front. If the seas are rough, West coast cruisers can always tell the Caribbean cruisers because they are usually the ones starting to turn green.

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera later n January, March, April, and July, and the Caribbean only in June, July, and August. I find the Caribbean to be much more humid, but my fingers always swell in Mexico also, no matter the month. You will wear the same clothes, but you didn't say if you are departing from San Francisco or from southern California. If from San Francisco you will want to bring some warmer clothes for the first few and last days.

If you like to hike, I recommend the lighthouse excursion in Mazatlan. Those who went to the island with the bird sanctuary also love it, but I haven't been there yet. The whales were putting on quite a show when we went whake watching in Cabo last week! Last January, we saw tons of whales from the ship when leaving Mazatlan and Cabo, but this year we did not, so I highly recommend the excursions.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera later n January, March, April, and July, and the Caribbean only in June, July, and August. I find the Caribbean to be much more humid, but my fingers always swell in Mexico also, no matter the month. You will wear the same clothes, but you didn't say if you are departing from San Francisco or from southern California. If from San Francisco you will want to bring some warmer clothes for the first few and last days.

If you like to hike, I recommend the lighthouse excursion in Mazatlan. Those who went to the island with the bird sanctuary also love it, but I haven't been there yet. The whales were putting on quite a show when we went whake watching in Cabo last week! Last January, we saw tons of whales from the ship when leaving Mazatlan and Cabo, but this year we did not, so I highly recommend the excursions.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sorry for all my typos. I also want to add that I agree with rosefloater. I always feel VERY safe in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All three ports take American $, but you'll do better paying in pesos. The difference isn't great enough to worry about. You might get pesos back as change.

This year we are (finally) experiencing a very raining El Niño season. It'll effect the seas. Check weather.com before your finalize packing. We bring a mixture of clothes, summer clothes for port days, slightly warmer for night. Always bring a hoodie.

Last year we watched Super Bowl outside on a MR cruise. We were really bundled up.

We're three women 'of a certain age' and go slightly off the beaten path in port, haven't had an issue.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you so much for the replies. I hope we get to take the cruise.

Rough waters do not bother me...we did a South American cruise years ago and I was so excited to go around Cape Horn and lo and behold the waters were fairly calm. When we came out of the Chilean Fords and hit the Pacific it was BUMPY. The dining room was empty those nights. LOL

The church and the lighthouse excursion both sound enticing. I will have to look more into these.

The cruise is Feb 27-March 5. Do y'all think we will still see whales? Honestly, that is the main reason for taking this trip. This is a bucket list item. Oh and we are sailing out of Los Angeles.

And I am taking it the heat will be about the same but possibly the humidity is lower????

Cool breezy conditions while at sea and the ship is north of Cabo. High humidity breaks on the MR in late October/early November.

The "official" whale watching season runs thru roughly mid-March. The season tends to run a little later in Cabo.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

The cruise is Feb 27-March 5. Do y'all think we will still see whales? Honestly, that is the main reason for taking this trip. This is a bucket list item. Oh and we are sailing out of Los Angeles.

And I am taking it the heat will be about the same but possibly the humidity is lower????

We just booked this cruise yesterday. Whales are a possibility at all three ports, but obviously no one can guarantee. Honestly, if whales are a big bucket list item, plan a land-based trip to Maui. From December through March, you'll see tons.

I expect the temperatures to be just about ideal. My wife and I really don't like humidity, and I don't expect oppressive humidity here. We just sailed the Panama Canal in December. Talk about steamy!

Jim

My DW and I have been visiting Mexico since 1984. We too enjoy..going where the locals go. Really adds to the experience. Also....we've found some AMAZING places to eat..by getting away from the tourists!

My DW and I have been visiting Mexico since 1984. We too enjoy..going where the locals go. Really adds to the experience. Also....we've found some AMAZING places to eat..by getting away from the tourists!

Care to share the restaurants? We are always looking for new places to eat.

Care to share the restaurants? We are always looking for new places to eat.

We spend winters here in Puerto Vallarta every year for the past 30 years and I have not seen any whales yet this year and I have been here for one month. Don't know where they are hiding this year.

As far as restaurants ----- PV is known as Foodie Paradise. You can check out the ratings on 'Trip "Advisor (800 are listed). Some of my personal recommendations would be Casa Isabel because of the excellent views of the whole bay and the places you would see on the taxi drive up there. Taxi would probably cost about ten dollars from the ship.

Another place more central and facing the Los Muertos beach is Daiquiri Dicks because of the food and ambience. Right next door is Coco Tropical and the food is also really good there with the same great views of the beach.

After eating you can stroll all around the Romantic Zone and do some shopping.

Humidity is very low in February but be sure to wear sunscreen and a hat for the hot sun.

Wendy

We just booked this cruise yesterday. Whales are a possibility at all three ports, but obviously no one can guarantee. Honestly, if whales are a big bucket list item, plan a land-based trip to Maui. From December through March, you'll see tons.

I expect the temperatures to be just about ideal. My wife and I really don't like humidity, and I don't expect oppressive humidity here. We just sailed the Panama Canal in December. Talk about steamy!

Jim

We booked! As of right now, there are still a lot of cabins available. Wow! I'm use to Caribbean cruises that fill up in a heartbeat!

We spend winters here in Puerto Vallarta every year for the past 30 years and I have not seen any whales yet this year and I have been here for one month. Don't know where they are hiding this year.

As far as restaurants ----- PV is known as Foodie Paradise. You can check out the ratings on 'Trip "Advisor (800 are listed). Some of my personal recommendations would be Casa Isabel because of the excellent views of the whole bay and the places you would see on the taxi drive up there. Taxi would probably cost about ten dollars from the ship.

Another place more central and facing the Los Muertos beach is Daiquiri Dicks because of the food and ambience. Right next door is Coco Tropical and the food is also really good there with the same great views of the beach.

After eating you can stroll all around the Romantic Zone and do some shopping.

Humidity is very low in February but be sure to wear sunscreen and a hat for the hot sun.

Wendy

Thanks, but those aren't the kind of local restaurants we like to eat at in PV. We like to eat authentic Mexican cuisine. One time we ate at El Mole de Jovita and thought that was good. We would like to eat at Pancho's Takos, but they are only open at night.

Edited by Rosefloater