Why balcony on a Christmas Market Cruise?

mozfoz

So, we are ready to book a Christmas Market cruise. Can anyone offer me reasons for booking a balcony. My thoughts are that it will be rather chilly, if not cold. The daylight will be filled with tours and markets. It will be dark by 5:00. Then its dinner time. Not to mention the rafting possibility. So, when will we get to use a balcony, aside from seeing passing lights at night sailings? I would appreciate hearing of what I may be missing in my analysis. Room sizes are the same, be as we will not book a suite. Is it really worth the extra money, or just a preference of many who just like knowing they have one. If it were a summer cruise, this issue would not arise.

We most often sail with and their twin balcony cabins offer more indoor space as well as private outdoor space. While it may seem that it would not be useful in cooler temps, we enjoyed the extra space, the extra light and actually did sit out with a blanket and bottle of wine on more than one occasion.

We did a Christmas Markets cruise in a bottom level cabin. You are correct in that it gets dark really early, between 4 and 5. It is cold and sometimes wet. If the boat is moving and you are getting the breeze off the water, it is REALLY cold. We did not notice much rafting with the Christmas cruises, probably because there are not nearly as many boats on the water that time of year.

While it may seem that it would not be useful in cooler temps, we enjoyed the extra space, the extra light and actually did sit out with a blanket and bottle of wine on more than one occasion.

We've done the same thing! :cool:

We did not notice much rafting with the Christmas cruises, probably because there are not nearly as many boats on the water that time of year.

We found the same on our Christmas Markets cruise. Much different than in the warmer weather.

I'd get at least a French balcony.

We liked and used the french balconies on our Avalon Christmas Markets cruise. I loved having the huge windows and not losing cabin space, and we opened them on occasion to better see, hear & smell the sights :D

I agree with what others have said.

We had a balcony cabin on our late November Rhine cruise and it was definitely cold. We really enjoyed sitting on our balcony with hot chocolate or Irish coffee during daytime sailing. However, that was only about a half day over the course of our eight day cruise. We ended up booking a balcony again for our upcoming fall trip, but only because it was about $200 more expensive than a french balcony. During the colder months, I wouldn't put much of a premium on a balcony cabin.