Maasdam itinerary change for December

daisybertie

Just heard from our TA, that the visit by the Maasdam to Apia on December 11th, has been changed for operational reasons. We will now visit Pago Pago, in American Samoa instead. Looking forward to this as we visited Apia last year. Any hints as to what to do in Pago Pago?

Just heard from our TA, that the visit by the Maasdam to Apia on December 11th, has been changed for operational reasons. We will now visit Pago Pago, in American Samoa instead. Looking forward to this as we visited Apia last year. Any hints as to what to do in Pago Pago?

There is a nice small museum right next to the pier that we have enjoyed; I think it was free. Plus it's on the way to-from the new market stalls; if you are interested in sarongs they have them in broad variety.

First visit we took one of the ship tours to see some of the island and for me the highlight was the visit to the former president's house, truly a piece of history and a very gracious family. It also gave us nice views of the flowerpots islets and one or two other stops at meaningful places. It was a nice first visit tour.

Note that it usually rains there in the afternoon, so plan your visit for the morning. And when I say rain, I mean blinding downpours that went on until after our sail-away. m--

I was there a couple of years ago and the local tourist people were very helpful. They told us how to take round trips from town on a couple of local bus routes through the hills to outlying villages. It was very pretty and very cheap. Ten years ago, I was there and took a ship's tour to local villages which included a traditionally cooked meal. That was very nice also. You can see the flower pots from the ship during the sail in and out.

It didn't rain when we were there at this same time of year in 2014 (on Volendam). It was a beautiful clear day. Guess we must have been fortunate with good weather. Hope we have the same good weather this Oct. 2017.

It rains cats and dogs there.

Yes' date=' absolute buckets of rain! We were there in October and November. Not sure how it is other seasons. I noticed that the ship tours were morning excursions. That was one clue. My best move was to wear light drip-dry clothes and Tiva sandals that could get soaked and survive.

Also Gene Young was our Cruise Director, and he is of Samoan extraction, so he knew to warn us to make good use of the morning time, bright and so very beautiful! [in fact IIRC, Gene's maternal grandfather's picture is in the museum on the wall with all the US naval commanders since we gained possession of the island in a treaty in the very late 1800s.'] m--

from a trip in 2015

I one again enjoyed Samoa. Got on a local bus for two bucks which was just wonderful. This year we went in the direction of the town of TULA....this is a much more scenic drive than going the other direction as we did last year. We got to experience all the locals coming and going and some really nice scenery as we wound along the road next to the sea. Its an old beat up local bus and the driver blasts out Reggae music which adds to the "ambiance". At the end of the line near Tula the driver stops for about 20 mins before heading back. Fortunately his stop is right across the street from a local elementary school. When i wandered over for a look i was invited into a classroom to talk with the kids who were oh so excited to see what i might have to say and demonstrate the energy and enthusiasm that only a bunch of kids seem to have.

If you want a pleasant day for a few dollars take the local bus up to Tula. It's about an hour or so up and then back on same road. Take some goodies to give the school kids and you'll be well rewarded with smiles from some truly cute kids.

Thank you for posting this information, as we had not been notified of the change.

The Amsterdam's no longer going to Apia on the Grand Asia, I see, in favor of Pago Pago. I should think there's an issue with Apia.

Sorry to hear that... Apia was wonderfully welcoming to us last fall. They had an open air fale ceremonial house in the town center ()next to the Turist Information) with cultural demonstrations, dancing, music, food and of course Kava Ceremony for us going on all day. I wonder why the change.

At Pago Pago the atmosphere is different but they are both so very beautiful. On our Pago Pago excursion the tour leaders showed us some native dancing and music, got a few of the group to participate too, very friendly also but on a different scale, more impromptu.

We liked the museum, visited it both times we were there. It small but shows a good overview of history and wares. The canoes and fish weirs on display are fascinating when you look at the creative construction. m--

Pago Pago is better than Apia in our opinion (having been to both). They have also changed from Apia to Pago Pago on the Noordam Pacific crossing next Sept/Oct (and we will be on it).

Yes there must be an issue with Apia we have not been told about.

From November, 2016

"“This Crown Princess’s last call to Apia is due to port rehabilitation,” she said.

“Some vessels have cancelled their calls for next year but we are looking forward to 2018 when the project is completed and we can accommodate more monthly cruise ships from Sydney Australia.”