First cruise with 2 small children... Carry-On Question

Hi everyone...8 days until our cruise to Cabo and Puerta Vallarta on the Miracle. My husband and I have 2 little boys ages 6 and 4.

My question is...For those that have traveled with small children, what kinds of things would you pack in your carry-on luggage for the time between boarding the ship and getting access to your stateroom?

Thank you for your ideas and tips!

My boys had suitcases with their clothes and carried backpacks with they choice toys. All depends on the kid. One was a book nut so had a bunch of those; the other like sports so always had a small ball or two. Matchbox cars, sticker and coloring books, action figures, a lovie (small because they always got build a bear one board), snacks, a cup for water, small travel games, silly putty etc..

My rule is if it fits (and you are carrying it) it ships. Last cruise at 12 he packed a basketball!:eek:

Mine are older now but I used to buy a bunch of toys, crafty stuff, books etc. at the dollar store or on clearance. I watched sales, especially after Christmas in anticipation of our summer cruises and I never spent a whole lot. Then on the road trip, or plane, or any other time there were long waits I let them open their backpacks every half hour or so and pick out a new toy. They absolutely loved it. And they had to close their eyes and reach in for it so they never knew what they would pull out. And just knowing that if they didn't behave their next scheduled surprise toy grab would be delayed made them try real hard to be good. It worked out great. They would always beg me to tell them what was in their backpacks this time. Of course now there are tablets that you can download cartoons, movies, and games on. Wish I had that back then.

Hi there

Welcome to cruise critic.

Bathing suits for sure.

You don't say if you are going to be able to purchase FTTF. If you were able, it would make an early boarding easier and your stateroom would be ready once you board.

If you aren't planning to get the FTTF, then unless you aren't able, do a later check in. Not only will the whole check in process go faster because the bulk of passengers will have cleared the terminal but because boarding will have been ongoing for a while you will be able to board immediately after check in. The cabins are typically ready to enter around 1:30 p.m., so if you get a check in time around 1 p.m., you would likely have no waiting time in the process and once you board the cabins will be ready for you immediately access.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hi everyone...8 days until our cruise to Cabo and Puerta Vallarta on the Miracle. My husband and I have 2 little boys ages 6 and 4.

My question is...For those that have traveled with small children, what kinds of things would you pack in your carry-on luggage for the time between boarding the ship and getting access to your stateroom?

Thank you for your ideas and tips!

Things that they are fond of playing at home for say, 2 hours.

My grand kids would be fine with games on their Kindle.

I'd pack their swim trunks and a change of clothes...because ice cream happens!

If you are planning on using Camp Ocean, go check that out shortly after boarding. Even though I registered my boys for camp online, the staff still asked additional questions about allergies and such.

There will be plenty of sights and sounds to keep them occupied before you have access to your stateroom. I'd pack a few small toys so they'd have something to do once you're in the room. That will give you a chance to unpack and settle in.

Have a great time!

There is tons to do on the ship before the cabins are open. Aside from swimming, there is mini-golf, the buffet, soft-serve and just looking around. It's not like sitting in the doctor waiting room. I've cruised several times with young ones and there is so much going on that they have no interest in toys or books.