Just booked a family cruise on Liberty....is it really as bad as the reviews say?

croix153

Cruise is in April 2018, with stops in Freeport and Nassau (we've never been to either). Kids will be 2 and almost four by then.

We are very excited for our first cruise as a family, however the reviews on here make it seem like a less than ideal cruise.

Is that true?

Edited by croix153

We have sailed Liberty on a 7 day cruise and it was great. It will be what you make it. We just booked another 3 day cruise on Liberty December 28th 2017

Edited by laprof
Left the last sentence off.

Carnival is the only cruise line I know of that allows 2 year olds in their camp. It's a 2 - 5 group so your two kids would be together shall you decide to put them in the camps. My 2 and 4 LOVED it. We actually booked Carnival simply because they take 2 year olds and change diapers, whereas Royal puts the 2 year old in a "nursery" and charges by the hour. If you plan on using the camp, then you'll love knowing you are on the only cruise line that has it.

We just got off of the Liberty in June. I have taken over ten cruises, however this was my first Carnival cruise. We LOVED it!!! My kids are a bit older but they loved the kids club. The entertainment staff were great. The buffet was the best out of all of the cruises that I have been on. The Carnival staterooms were bigger than the Norwegian or Royal Caribbean ones that I have been on. Definitely sign up for the Dr. Seuss brunch right when you get on the ship (it sells out fast). We have done the Blue Lagoon twice in Nassau. It has a nice beach with very calm water. It is about a 20-minute ferry boat ride to get there, so not easy to come and go though if one of the kids gets tired or fussy. Going on excursions with kids under the age of 5 can be a bit tricky, so go with your mommy-gut (you know your kids the best). You will have a great time, the Liberty is a great cruise!

Take the reviews with a grain of salt. People who had perceived bad experiences or genuine bad experiences are more motivated to write reviews than those who had a positive experience. We enjoyed the Liberty just as much as the other ships we've sailed on. I haven't noticed a huge difference in service, food, entertainment, etc... between any of the ships.

Take all reviews with a grain of salt especially if they are real good or bad.

I agree with this. Part of the issue is, we are all different and look for different things in a vacation. So when someone goes off the rails about certain things, I may think...wow, I couldn't care less about that. But if I complain about something, others may say the same thing.

You look at reviews on any ship and there will be good and bad reviews. Any ship. Unless something unexpectedly bad happens, like your toilet doesn't work, I predict you'll have fun. Unless you are the type of person who walks around noticing the rust on pipes on the ship. If you do that, you might have a bad time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No reason, whatsoever, for you NOT to enjoy your cruise! For one, the Liberty is beautifully decorated and crew friendly, and there are things to do in both ports, especially if you're new to this. Don't fret, don't listen to the whiners, and judge for yourself. I bet you'll have a blast.

Barring something awful happening mechanically or weather wise, I just don't believe there is such a thing as a bad cruise.

We 're going on the Fantasy in a couple of weeks and I don't like all the reviews either (heck, the dang ship is for sale for the love of Pete). But we're going to have a great time. My niece will be going with us and it's her first cruise. I bet she'll be awestruck

TheTravelista;[/b]53554483]There are bad reviews? I've never sailed Liberty but it was always one of the more popular ships around here. I've only seen good things about it.

With a title like yours you should , you'll enjoy yourself .

my family of 6 just completed cruise on Liberty OTS on 6/25/2017 - 7/2/2017 out of Galveston and we're absolutely enjoyed every moment of it.

1) We have been cruising from Galveston for sometimes now and love the new upgrade terminal from 2016. We are actually impressed of the logistic at Galveston terminal now.

2) Not sure about you...if you are call this is your family vacation then why put your kids to camp? just have your kiddos at the newly kids zone swimming area and it is awesome. We had alot of fun times with everyone of us together on Liberty OTS.

I hope you will find lot of fun and memorable experience on your cruise with Liberty OTS.

I should add that mechanical problems did force the cancellation of my son's and DIL's honeymoon last October on the Liberty out of Galveston . You can search my posts to hear me whining and crying about it. In spite of that I'd still recommend her and any other Carnival vessel. Stuff happens sometimes but 99% of the time it doesn't.

my family of 6 just completed cruise on Liberty OTS on 6/25/2017 - 7/2/2017 out of Galveston and we're absolutely enjoyed every moment of it.

1) We have been cruising from Galveston for sometimes now and love the new upgrade terminal from 2016. We are actually impressed of the logistic at Galveston terminal now.

2) Not sure about you...if you are call this is your family vacation then why put your kids to camp? just have your kiddos at the newly kids zone swimming area and it is awesome. We had alot of fun times with everyone of us together on Liberty OTS.

I hope you will find lot of fun and memorable experience on your cruise with Liberty OTS.

You're getting your ship names mixed up. "Liberty OTS" is a Royal Caribbean ship. The OP's question is about Carnival's ship, the Liberty. Similar name, different ships, different cruise lines.

Barring something awful happening mechanically or weather wise, I just don't believe there is such a thing as a bad cruise.

We 're going on the Fantasy in a couple of weeks and I don't like all the reviews either (heck, the dang ship is for sale for the love of Pete). But we're going to have a great time. My niece will be going with us and it's her first cruise. I bet she'll be awestruck

True. To add another thought, we just had our first carnival cruise on the sunshine last month and the weather was horrible with a tropical storm in our way. The captain tried to avoid it but the winds and high seas were really tough. We still had a great time even though a lot of the outside decks were closed. It s very difficult for us NOT to have a good cruise.

Cruise is in April 2018, with stops in Freeport and Nassau (we've never been to either). Kids will be 2 and almost four by then.

We are very excited for our first cruise as a family, however the reviews on here make it seem like a less than ideal cruise.

Is that true?

Keep in mind that the majority of reviews you'll read about any ship are mostly someone's opinions. And, to paraphrase a well known saying, "Opinions are like noses. Everyone's got one." Currently, my favorite ship is the Liberty. We've cruised on her twice, and I would book it again in a heartbeat. No cruise ship is 100% perfect 100% of the time, not even a brand new one. We cruised on the Vista earlier this year (Carnival's newest ship). Like any other ship, you'll find reviews from those that love it, and those that were disappointed. Count me among the latter. It's a nice ship, but I wasn't blown away. Do take time on Embarkation Day to explore the ship and familiarize yourselves with where everything is. Hope you have a great cruise!

Thank you everyone for your feedback! We are getting ready to board her in a few weeks and it was nice to read positive things! I was not at all sure what to expect after reading so many negative things !!