Antarctic Experience

Wayfairers

Can someone tell me what the Antarctic Experience is on the South America Circumnavigation cruise? I suspect it is sailing through the area, but the fact that HAL call's it an experience makes me wonder if there is more. After all when we sailed through Greeenland's ice field and Norway's fjords on Voyage of the Vikings, HAL didn't call those experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone tell me what the Antarctic Experience is on the South America Circumnavigation cruise? I suspect it is sailing through the area, but the fact that HAL call's it an experience makes me wonder if there is more. After all when we sailed through Greeenland's ice field and Norway's fjords on Voyage of the Vikings, HAL didn't call those experiences.

We will be doing an Antarctic cruise on the Zaandam in January. If you go to YouTube and search on HAL Antarctic cruise, you will find several very good videos showing you what you will see. It looks amazing and everyone says that it is the best cruise they have taken or certainly one of them. I can't wait to spend 4 days in Antarctica.

I think it's pure marketing. "Experience" seems to be the new buzz word. It's appearing in restaurant hype and theme park hype.

Having said that, the HAL Antarctica itinerary needs no hype. It is truly spectacular. We had a fabulous On Location Team and several hours of lectures a day on various Antarctica related topics. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

P.s. Here's one more: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSbPc/i-q9JhZ9z

We too, had a fantastic Antarctica Experience with Zaandam in 2015. The HAL Antarctica team made it an unforgettable experience, the next best thing (I guess) if you are unable to spent the huge amounts of money for an on land expedition cruise.

Sad to have learned that since our cruise, Chris Wilson who was part of the Antarctica team on board and a huge source of knowledge about Antarctica and its wildlife, has passed away later in 2015.

I think it's pure marketing. "Experience" seems to be the new buzz word. It's appearing in restaurant hype and theme park hype.

Having said that, the HAL Antarctica itinerary needs no hype. It is truly spectacular. We had a fabulous On Location Team and several hours of lectures a day on various Antarctica related topics. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

P.s. Here's one more: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSbPc/i-q9JhZ9z

We are doing this trip on the Zaandam in January 2018. Having just watched the Smugmug clip I am looking forward to it even more. We have done a round South America trip before but never made it to Antarctica then....this is the bucket list item!!!! Thanks for telling us about the clip!!:)

We too, had a fantastic Antarctica Experience with Zaandam in 2015. The HAL Antarctica team made it an unforgettable experience, the next best thing (I guess) if you are unable to spent the huge amounts of money for an on land expedition cruise.

Sad to have learned that since our cruise, Chris Wilson who was part of the Antarctica team on board and a huge source of knowledge about Antarctica and its wildlife, has passed away later in 2015.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought I had seen every HAL Antarctic video on YouTube; but hadn't looked at Smugmug, so this was a treat. Plus, your video skills are excellent. It was so nice to see videos that weren't jerky or moving too quickly. It was also nice to be able to hear your's and the announcement commentary. Did the ship give you the map of where you went or did you create it yourself?

I am so glad that we get 4 days in Antarctica. You did see a lot in just 3 days. Thank you again for sharing this wonderful video.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought I had seen every HAL Antarctic video on YouTube; but hadn't looked at Smugmug, so this was a treat. Plus, your video skills are excellent. It was so nice to see videos that weren't jerky or moving too quickly. It was also nice to be able to hear your's and the announcement commentary. Did the ship give you the map of where you went or did you create it yourself?

I am so glad that we get 4 days in Antarctica. You did see a lot in just 3 days. Thank you again for sharing this wonderful video.

Thank you. It's one of the few I've "publicked". HAL gave us the map. (I brought one of Antarctica and a second of the Fuegan Channels(?) and had our route (DR track) added and Captain signed it. :)

Video was shot with a canon 250sx (pocket sized for travel) with small tripod, Nikon D40 for the rest. Most of the jiggles got cut.;)

Audio was several tracks- I used my iPhone to capture commentary and Captains updates (which were so random it was a challenge to record at a moments notice), and final voice over.

(For me, digital media was of limited interest until I learned to process video. Now I can make something useful with the synergy. The original purpose for the videos of this trip was to share it with family at home.)

You might check out Blurb. I'm sure others have publicked their Antarctica books. ( I made a coffee table book with the photos and my journal. Mine is not publicked- TMI)

And for blogs- have you read Arzz's and Bescotti's? (Both CC) and Captain Albert (c. 2011/2012)?

PS we got 4 days because we were "blown" out of Ush. The video is only a compilation- there's really much more. I came back with over 60gb on my cards. On the older cameras, that was a lot. (With so many pictures i was armed and dangerous.)

Thank you. It's one of the few I've "publicked". HAL gave us the map. (I brought one of Antarctica and a second of the Fuegan Channels(?) and had our route (DR track) added and Captain signed it. :)

Video was shot with a canon 250sx (pocket sized for travel) with small tripod, Nikon D40 for the rest. Most of the jiggles got cut.;)

Audio was several tracks- I used my iPhone to capture commentary and Captains updates (which were so random it was a challenge to record at a moments notice), and final voice over.

(For me, digital media was of limited interest until I learned to process video. Now I can make something useful with the synergy. The original purpose for the videos of this trip was to share it with family at home.)

You might check out Blurb. I'm sure others have publicked their Antarctica books. ( I made a coffee table book with the photos and my journal. Mine is not publicked- TMI)

And for blogs- have you read Arzz's and Bescotti's? (Both CC) and Captain Albert (c. 2011/2012)?

PS we got 4 days because we were "blown" out of Ush. The video is only a compilation- there's really much more. I came back with over 60gb on my cards. On the older cameras, that was a lot. (With so many pictures i was armed and dangerous.)

I have not checked out those blogs; but will try to find them. I will be taking so many photos, that it will be a challenge to decide which ones to use in our review. I also plan on taking a lot more video than I normally do. I normally just use my iPhone for video; but will be using my Canon 7D Mark II for this cruise, since I will need the telephoto lens for some of it. 60 gig is a lot for photos, at least with jpeg; but video can eat the cards up quickly. I will be prepared.

I have not checked out those blogs; but will try to find them. I will be taking so many photos, that it will be a challenge to decide which ones to use in our review. I also plan on taking a lot more video than I normally do. I normally just use my iPhone for video; but will be using my Canon 7D Mark II for this cruise, since I will need the telephoto lens for some of it. 60 gig is a lot for photos, at least with jpeg; but video can eat the cards up quickly. I will be prepared.

With a telephoto lens a tripod (or monopod) is your friend.

Usually, one more piece of the "experience" is that they will try to arrange for scientists from Palmer Station to come onboard for a day with lectures, souvenirs, and a close second hand look at what life is like in Antarctica.

Prinsendam will be my third time to Antarctica. The first was on an expedition ship and we got rare permission to visit Palmer. While expedition cruises do land on Antarctica I don't think they usually get person to person contact with staff there.

My second time was 2016 on the Crystal Symphony and we were scheduled for a visit with Palmer staff but it had to be cancelled due to the weather. I do hope it will be possible on the Prinsendam.

Roy

Usually, one more piece of the "experience" is that they will try to arrange for scientists from Palmer Station to come onboard for a day with lectures, souvenirs, and a close second hand look at what life is like in Antarctica.

Prinsendam will be my third time to Antarctica. The first was on an expedition ship and we got rare permission to visit Palmer. While expedition cruises do land on Antarctica I don't think they usually get person to person contact with staff there.

My second time was 2016 on the Crystal Symphony and we were scheduled for a visit with Palmer staff but it had to be cancelled due to the weather. I do hope it will be possible on the Prinsendam.

Roy

Should I be concerned that I might miss something if I go to the lectures. Hopefully, they are done when we aren't close to anything important.

We woke up on Christmas morning to enormous glaciers with the penguins welcoming us to their home. It is one experience I will never forget. The lectures were well versed in the knowledge of the area. The ship sent transportation for the members who were on the research site. It was very interesting to hear them talk about their work. I always encourage people to take this once in a lifetime cruise.

Should I be concerned that I might miss something if I go to the lectures. Hopefully, they are done when we aren't close to anything important.

While I haven't yet sailed Antarctica on HAL, I have a feeling there isn't too much to fear. I was fortunate with Crystal that the lectures are simulcast on stateroom TV so I could peek outside, but I'm pretty sure you would hear about it in the showroom if there were any can't miss events.

Roy

During our cruise, lectures were concentrated on our outboundand inbound transits, to and from Antarctica. Before going there, we learned alot of what to expect, history, wildlife and so on, after Antarctica we had lecturesabout living on the Antarctica bases in all its aspects. They are not heldduring the Antarctica visit, unless there is room during a transit betweenpoints. Things to see are so many, you have to squeeze in time to eat and drink :D

Here is a link to some of our wildlife sightings;

And rounding of the cape;

We had fog for most of the mornings. When it was clear a member of the Team was broadcasting from the Bridge. Captain joined in. Lectures started before Antarctica and continued during the time we were there. They were available later on cabin TV. Not sure if they still offer that option.

So sorry to hear about Chris "Birdman" Wilson. He was superb. He "held court" on the aft LP with his spotting scope every day for hours.

The "Antarctic Experience" is a lot more than just sailing through the Antarctic Sea for four days. There are lectures before, during, and after the visit to the continent. There are narratives of what you are sailing by while there. Loads of information is given about where you are, the wildlife you are seeing (and sometimes smelling ;p), why you aren't where you expected to be right then (Plan M), the research outposts, life while working there---a very comprehensive "experience", which is a lot more than most itineraries offer.

The term is much more than marketing, but more a reflection of all that goes into making your time in Antarctica worthwhile.

The "Antarctic Experience" is a lot more than just sailing through the Antarctic Sea for four days. There are lectures before, during, and after the visit to the continent. There are narratives of what you are sailing by while there. Loads of information is given about where you are, the wildlife you are seeing (and sometimes smelling ;p), why you aren't where you expected to be right then (Plan M), the research outposts, life while working there---a very comprehensive "experience", which is a lot more than most itineraries offer.

The term is much more than marketing, but more a reflection of all that goes into making your time in Antarctica worthwhile.

January can't get here soon enough for me!!!

Just dropping in for my 2 cents worth. We did back to back Antarctica trips with one ocean expeditions last Dec - Jan. The ship was Sergey Vavilov. 22 days of amazing scenery, unbelievable wildlife and exciting excursions. Getting off the ship twice a day was the best experience of my life. Camping overnight on the snow and getting up close and personal with penguins, seals and whales was unforgettable. I didn't want the trip to end. Small ships are the way to go. Got to know the crew and staff, and all of the other passengers were fabulous travelling companions. Antarctica is truly beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for all the great information! I enjoyed the speaker HAL had as we were sailing through Norway Fjords.....I am looking forward to the Antarctic Experience too! Do they serve coffee, tea and the green pea soup on deck as you sail through the icebergs?

We did Antarctica in Feb, 2016 and it remains a high point of our cruisings. The lectures were superb, scenery amazing, and it's the one cruise I wouldn't hesitate to repeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Antarctic experience was all that on the Veendam...lazy days "wandering" around immense icebergs, or floating through a foggy morning seeing an expedition sailing vessel ghosting along with us...and yes, the smells when you neared a rookery. It's one cruise we will definitely take again.

Here's a link to my set of some photos. I think it's one of the finest cruises HAL does, although I rank the V of V as the best.