Fish on Alaskan Cruise?

CanuckinSMA

I've had a look at a few menus..it refers to Alaskan salmon. How would you know what other fish is "local" ie. is the halibut local. We are fish eaters and would like to have local fresh fish so would like to know how to tell? Is all the fish frozen or is there some fresh? Thanks!

HAL usually says the salmon is Alaskan and/or fresh, but this is debatable. There is some idea that cruise ships are supposed to load only frozen protein.

One thing: HAL does a tremendous job of thawing all fish before cooking: you would often think it IS fresh.

HAL does salmon very well, especially grilled. You might like to try the Asian breakfast with the grilled salmon! Overall, HAL does fish well.

HAL usually says the salmon is Alaskan and/or fresh, but this is debatable. There is some idea that cruise ships are supposed to load only frozen protein.

One thing: HAL does a tremendous job of thawing all fish before cooking: you would often think it IS fresh.

HAL does salmon very well, especially grilled. You might like to try the Asian breakfast with the grilled salmon! Overall, HAL does fish well.

Asian breakfast what is that?

The old Japanese breakfast. Miso soup, grilled salmon, rice, tamagoyachi (eggs), green tea. My go-to MDR breakfast. If the salmon is well grilled it is divine!

A big if, but an excellent breakfast!

We got off the Amsterdam on Monday and had some wonderful fish dishes. We had halibut twice and the first time it was "naked" and was delicious. The second time it was smoked salmon crusted halibut and it was divine! I had sole, cod, lobster, plenty of shrimp, and salmon several ways and enjoyed every one of them. The ginger pesto salmon on the everyday menu was scrumptious.

Karen

We've only taken Princess cruises to Alaska. On our last one, two brothers (who were traveling with their grandmother and had been on the land portion with us before the cruise) went fishing in Ketchikan. The chefs prepared two of their fish for them that night. Fortunately, our table was next to theirs and they shared with us. Princess also does an afternoon seafood buffet that includes whole fresh salmon one day on its Alaskan cruises.

There is some idea that cruise ships are supposed to load only frozen protein.
The Prinsendam purchased some large fresh fish in the Azores for a poolside buffet.

iwj407.jpg

Edited by jtl513

There are a couple of reasons that the ships tend towards frozen fish: parasite destruction and record keeping.

Any fish that can contain parasites (and salmon is one), that is to be served either raw (sushi) or uncooked (ceviche, gravlax, etc) needs to be frozen to -31*F for 15 hours. Otherwise it needs to be cooked to 145*F minimum to ensure parasite destruction.

The record keeping is that unfrozen fish must be accompanied by documentation showing the temperature that it has been held at since catching/cleaning. The source of the fish must also be certified in the country of origin (this pertains to all seafood, frozen or fresh). Outside the US there is more leeway in obtaining fresh seafood, if the local country's laws are met. Princess will cook fresh caught salmon only from their sponsored fishing excursions, not third party ones.

Can anyone confirm the salmon are not farm raised? That's my primary concern.

HAL's menus distincly say "sustainable seafood".

So, some fish may be farmed and some fish not.

For the fish I have chosen it did not taste farmed (I can usually tell the difference) I don't usually get salmon on HAL as it is a "regular" menu item at home. DH does and is usually pleased.

On the roundtrip from Seattle two-week Maasdam Alaska cruise last year, I ordered Alaskan King Crab legs, and they were delicious. A huge serving! Probably frozen, but very well prepared.

IIRC, crab legs are almost always frozen

IIRC, crab legs are almost always frozen

Most probably. While there are other crabbing seasons than the winter one made famous by the TV show Deadliest Catch little crabbing is done in the summer months. Much most likely to get fresh Alaskan salmon than fresh crab.

Most probably. While there are other crabbing seasons than the winter one made famous by the TV show Deadliest Catch little crabbing is done in the summer months. Much most likely to get fresh Alaskan salmon than fresh crab.

True. And I guess we should probably state that Snow and Alaskan King are generally frozen. Dungeness and Blue are an entirely different matter.......

Regardless of what the cruise line tells you - or what you want to hear - the fish you eat on a mass market cruise ship in Alaska will NOT be fresh.

1. The most expensive place in the world to buy Alaska Seafood is Alaska. Most cruise lines purchase Alaska seafood that has been frozen and shipped to Los Angeles. After it sits in a freezer there for a few months or years, it is sold and shipped back to Alaska for about half the price they charge in Alaska.

2. The United States Public Health Service "insists" that all shell fish and any fresh fish is frozen for a minimum 72 hours before it is prepared and served to cruise ship passengers. Cruise lines sailing outside the USA sometimes ignore this rule, but the ships sailing in Alaska don't want to take the chance of getting caught.

True. And I guess we should probably state that Snow and Alaskan King are generally frozen. Dungeness and Blue are an entirely different matter.......

Having grown up in Tacoma eons ago I was very spoiled to have what was back then fairly unlimited and inexpensive access to Dungeness crab, Hood Canal oysters, and fresh salmon. Those were the days when in season you could go down the commercial fishing docks and buy crab and fresh fish right off the boats. $5-$10 went a long ways back then.

Regardless of what the cruise line tells you - or what you want to hear - the fish you eat on a mass market cruise ship in Alaska will NOT be fresh.

2. The United States Public Health Service "insists" that all shell fish and any fresh fish is frozen for a minimum 72 hours before it is prepared and served to cruise ship passengers. Cruise lines sailing outside the USA sometimes ignore this rule, but the ships sailing in Alaska don't want to take the chance of getting caught.

While this is true for nearly every all fish, it is only required by USPH for fish that is to be served in a raw or uncooked style.

All shellfish, both molluscan and crustacean can be received in a live condition, and therefore are not frozen. Even shucked mollusks can be received raw if certified by the FDA as to shellfish safety, and properly packaged.