Room assignment and muster station

momin05

So I mixed up our room assignments to accommodate those who wanted the Cheers package. One unintended consequence I did not consider is muster. It would seem to make sense that we should muster according to our room assignment (it is on our S&S card after all). For the drill, I assume that is what they expect you to do. But isn't there also an argument to muster according to where you sleep? I just have a one for one swap so it would still be the correct number of people at each station. Does anyone know for sure what they expect at the drill? I would rather muster with my daughter, but she is booked in the cabin with my mom. (In a real emergency I would not be expected to separate from my daughter, right?).

Please no flamers, I am not trying to get out of something, just wondering if others have had this situation and what they did for muster drill.

Your muster location is on your S & S cabin card.

Yes, I imagine they'd want you at the station indicated on your card. Though I see your logic there, and would just obviously say to familiarize yourself with the location and route to the muster station for the cabin you've swapped to.

Won't your swapers (swapees?) be getting new/replacement S&S cards once on board? I think that is Step 2 of the all-must-buy-Cheers workaround. (step 1: put non-drinkers/drinkers in same cabin for booking. step 2: go to guest services and swap them to the proper rooms) After all, until Guest Services changes things around, their card won't open the right door. Just get things changed first thing (i.e., before muster) and the card and cabin will match, no?

Won't your swapers (swapees?) be getting new/replacement S&S cards once on board? I think that is Step 2 of the all-must-buy-Cheers workaround. (step 1: put non-drinkers/drinkers in same cabin for booking. step 2: go to guest services and swap them to the proper rooms) After all, until Guest Services changes things around, their card won't open the right door. Just get things changed first thing (i.e., before muster) and the card and cabin will match, no?

My understanding is you aren’t reassigning the people to another room, just giving them a key card to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the muster station issue is obviously a concern. When you go to your assigned muster station they scan your card and make sure you are at the right one. Best bet when doing the shuffle is to try and make sure the rooms are close together so you all have the same muster station. Otherwise during an emergency, they probably won’t listen to arguments and will make your daughter go to her assigned muster station.

My understanding is you aren’t reassigning the people to another room, just giving them a key card to the room.

That is correct, you just get an extra key. If you swap cabins on board, it defaults back for Cheers and everyone in the newly assigned cabin has to get it.

I am guessing that for muster drill, my daughter will need to muster with my mom and my stepdad with me. I just wasn't sure if they truly cared where you muster as long as they have the right headcount. Although I just remembered that they are scanning your S&S now, aren't they? That probably means we need to be in our assigned muster station.

You have to attend the muster drill according to your official room assignment. Agree that if this is a concern for you, getting cabins close together will fix it. Muster stations encompass many cabins from the same general area. How far apart are you cabins to begin with?

But yes, in a real emergency I expect they would want you to report to your official muster station as per your booking.

Are your cabins all close to each other? Chances are that if they are, your muster stations will be the same anyway.

You didn't say which ship you will be on. For the Triumph and Conquest class, there is only a couple of entrances to where you muster. Once out there, you have to walk to where your station is. I'm guessing that if they do swipe your card, they do it at the entrance. They won't know once you're past that point, which station you are standing in.

With the newer ships where you stay inside, those rooms are huge and hold hundreds of people. Again, once inside, they don't know what cabin you are in.

Thanks all. It is on Carnival Elation. Cabins are far apart and there is no way to get them close. Almost no availability left and my parents wanted a balcony so they are up on Verandah, we are on Empress. The muster stations are the main lounge and lido, so...

I will just go with it and try to tell myself not to worry about a real emergency!

Thanks for your thoughts!

If your cabins are both in the same aft area, or mid ship, or both in forward, it shouldn't matter what deck you are on and you likely have the same muster station.

If one cabin is forward and the other aft or midship then you probably won't.