Difference Between SunShelter & Clamshell on HMC

ellieanne

We're looking at shore excursions/activities for our New Year's cruise. I'm not a beach person, so I have no idea and no real input to offer two of our traveling party. At least one of them is not really likely to use sunscreen (blokes don't use girly cream, you know ;):p), so I'd prefer if there was some option for shade/sun relief for them. We are looking at a beach day on Half Moon Cay and have a few questions:

What is the difference between a SunShelter and a Clamshell?

Will they need one each or can we do a joint one for the both of them?

Do they need one at all -- are there other options for shade if they want?

Are there waiters for drink service on the beach, or will they have to leave their "spot" to get drinks?

Quite obviously I do not know anything about the beach set up on Hal Moon Cay. The only time I have ever been there was right after a Hurricane came through and there was no relief from the sun because salt-water intrusion had killed the trees. It was not a good experience so I can't really tell them anything about the island's facilities.

Thanks for all your help!

I find lots of shade at Half Moon Cay, and plenty of loungers in the shade. I turn right when I get to the beach and walk down maybe 100-200 yards. Or you can walk along the path and then cut down the bank to the beach sand if walking in the sand is difficult.

One can get a clam-shell for shade, it lifts up like a oversized baby-buggy canopy but it rests on the sand; will shade two loungers. Some people bring a book or extra towels to lift the rear off the sand to get some better air circulation. Not sure what a sun-shade means, have only heard about clam-shells and am guessing they are the same things.

If you're looking for bar service, that I believe is provided to those who rent one of the Cabanas. The rental comes with some munchies and loungers. The Cabanas are wooden, roofed shelters; I think they are raised off the beach by a few steps, but might have a ramp, better to ask if that matters.

There is the large bar next to the beach where anyone can walk up for drinks. Pretty sure they take ship cards for payment.

The buffet food is a barbecue for no-extra-charge. They will have soft drinks and water there.

I hope that helps you a bit for starters. Others will add more, and best to ask questions or provide more info to refine your inquiry. m--

From the Shore Excursions Booklet:

Sun Shelter Rental

Departs: Available

Price $11.95

Relax under your very own sun shelter on the beautiful and aptly-named beach at HalfMoon Cay -- a crescent-shaped stretch of powdery white sand and inviting turquoise water. Your sun shelter is a compact, semi-circular, open-front tent with a tent-fabric floor -- ideal for use anywhere on the beach.

Clamshell Sunshade Rental (Includes 2 Chairs)

Departs: Available

Price $39.95

Relax under your very own clamshell on the beautiful and aptly named beach at Half Moon Cay -- a crescent-shaped stretch of powdery white sand and inviting turquoise water.

Other than the chairs, are they the same shelters? Are the chairs worth $28? If you don't get a shelter, are there chairs available on the beach? Is the only option the beach towels they provide in the rooms? I really want to make the beach day a really good experience for the people that want it -- but I'm not a beach person so I never think about these things. And what I think about as a non-beach person may not be what is really important. Cabanas are not an option, there are only 2 people in the party who want a beach day, and it just doesn't seem to be worth it for just the two of them, even though there are 6 in our group -- 4 of us are spending the day on the ship.

I haven't seen the Sun Shelters, but there are a ton of loungers, many in the shade, all complimentary. I have never seen the need for a clam-shell, myself. Maybe someone has a photo to share of the sun-shades? m--

You may want to ask on the Carnival board. They are going to Half Moon Cay now and maybe someone knows.

This is what the sun shelters we see on Fort Lauderdale Beach look like. Of course, that may be nothing like the HMC ones.

0be6af956be46c31a88ad848b2925832.jpg

Of all the times we have been to HMC, only a couple of times did we see a waiter walk the beach selling cokes and beers.

So be prepared to go and get your own drinks.

They do not have registers to accept the cruise cards -- everything is hand written. Also if you have the Signature Beverage cards, they are not accepted on HMC.

Once we saw a couple of stewards come down the beach with a thermos bottle of Pina Coladas, and one of them volunteered to go back to the bar when DH wanted something else, but generally you are your own waiter for drinks.

We never rented a clamshell when they were a lot cheaper, and definitely won't for $39.95, but we don't stay on the beach long. We go in on one of the first couple of tenders and walk down the beach a way until we find a shady spot to drag a couple of loungers into.

I haven't seen one yet, but I suspect the Sun Shelters are cheaper because you can't fit a lounger into one.

Edited by catl331

If a lounger isn't in the shade, you can move it under a tree, or wherever! They are plentiful and for everyone. No charge.

You need to let the "blokes" know that shade doesn't prevent sunburn! Tell them to put the sunscreen on in their cabin so no one has to watch them put on "girly cream"! It should be applied 30 mins. prior to sun exposure, anyway!

If you go to "ports of call" "private islands" you will see a good discussion of shade on HMC started by Sunmist on 6/20/17. When we were there, if you walked further down the beach than the crowds there were many chaises and shade. We had a cabana because I wanted to enjoy a beach day. It was fine, but they came at 2:00 to pick everything up. I don't know that I would want a clam shell unless they would take it away from the crowds. A beautiful beach for a fabulous beach day. Enjoy. cherie

Thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to let them go ashore and figure out the beach day on their own. I'll give them the information I have, but it's their vacation and their beach day, I'm not going to worry about scheduling what I think would be the best experience.