Question.

megsmomma11

I have a cabin booked for three people. The third person is now not sure if they are going. We are looking for someone to help cover the 3rd persons spot, but now having much luck. The third person knows that they will not get their money back. My question is that if she doesn't go will we be better to just her not show up? And I paid for the cruise with gift cards, so how would the taxes and whatever else that might be refunded?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Policy states refunds will be given back in the same manner as payment was made. Gift cards will supposedly new you a new gift card. That being said, I had about $30 in leftover money on my sign and sail account last cruise -- all gift card $$ -- and got a refund check. So....who knows what form your refund will take?

You MAY be moved to a different cabin, but I can't speak with authority in that. I know my bookings into cabins with 3 often come with the "occupancy restrictions" warning that adding/dropping a passenger could result in changes. I honestly don't remember if it is adding or dropping (or both) in that warning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't cancel her.

If you have split the cost of the cabin 3 ways, and cancel the third person, you'll find your 2 person rate to be different and no only will she not get her money back (because you're past final payment) but they will take her off the cabin and then when Carnival inputs only 2 in the cabin, you'll be on the hook for the difference between the 2 and 3.

i.e. if Carnival had the cruise costs as:

person 1 $800

person 2 $800

person 3 $300

Total $1900

And you each paid $633

When Carnival takes off the 3rd person, it will be:

person 1 $800

person 2 $800

total $1600 and the two of you would each owe another $166 even though she won't get the $300 refunded to her because you're after final payment.

There's no harm in cancelling the third person. The rates for the first two won't change if you cancel the third AND if there's currently a person waitlisted for the cruise it would open up a spot for them.

There's no harm in cancelling the third person. The rates for the first two won't change if you cancel the third AND if there's currently a person waitlisted for the cruise it would open up a spot for them.

They could be moved to a less desirable cabin.

I have a cabin booked for three people. The third person is now not sure if they are going. We are looking for someone to help cover the 3rd persons spot, but now having much luck. The third person knows that they will not get their money back. My question is that if she doesn't go will we be better to just her not show up? And I paid for the cruise with gift cards, so how would the taxes and whatever else that might be refunded?

This happened to us in 2015. We did not want to cancel this person before the cruise, because we were afraid if we only had 2 people in a 3 person cabin, they would change our cabin. So he was a 'no show' at check in. They refunded the port fees and taxes to my debit card (which is how I paid for the cruise) by the second day on board. We received a letter in the cabin stating this is what they did.

How does that open a spot for a wait listed person?

How does that open a spot for a wait listed person?

A ship is "full" when the lifeboat capacity is reached, no necessarily when all cabins are booked. So, hypothetically, there may be no cabins available, but lifeboat space not used. While this cancellation doesn't open up a cabin, it could open up the ability to add a third or fourth person to an existing two-person cabin.

This is why an early cancellation could end up getting OP moved to a different cabin. They could get moved to a cabin that has a 2 person maximum to open up their cabin that can hold 3 or 4 people.

They could be moved to a less desirable cabin.

Maybe if they booked a guarantee rate. But we only sail with cabins of 2 and there are only so many cabins that sleep 2 only. I've never been bumped from a 3 person cabin that I chose because there were only 2 of us.

Maybe if they booked a guarantee rate. But we only sail with cabins of 2 and there are only so many cabins that sleep 2 only. I've never been bumped from a 3 person cabin that I chose because there were only 2 of us.

Carnival reserves the right to move you for cabin occupancy restrictions no matter if you picked your cabin or not. They have and they will if the need arises. It's happened plenty of times.