CDC Report - Carnival Legend Fails

Carnival Legand failed the latest CDC Sanitation Inspection Report. Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas also failed. The Carnival Dream barely passed.

There is no excuse for these highly profitable companies having these kind of issues.

See the news report:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/c23e5d2f-c05e-30d9-a503-ee5fa0ff1a13/the-14-worst-cruise-ships-on.html

The "latest" inspection report for Legend was in April with corrective actions filed

The Dream inspection was last February.

Some items were corrected during the inspections and I didn't see any that were not resolved.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

What is unreasonable is for someone to expect perfection. :rolleyes: A better question might be why doesn't the CDC have sufficient resources to reinspect ships with lower scores more frequently to verify compliance?

A better question might be why doesn't the CDC have sufficient resources to reinspect ships with lower scores more frequently to verify compliance?

This must be rhetorical because I think we all know the answer to your question. You make an excellent point.

For the Carnival Miracle a year and one month elapsed between ship inspections. That's unacceptable.

Carnival Miracle Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc.(most recent) 04/29/2017 Report Corrective Report Carnival Miracle Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc.( previous inspection date) 03/05/2016

Edited by sanmarcosman

This must be rhetorical because I think we all know the answer to your question.
And the resources allocated are likely to be reduced further, making such intervals longer rather than shorter.

The article highlights improper practices at the ice cream station (which I think we all know is likely a high risk area - as with anything "self serve") and a typo at the Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast (on a sign that I bet you 99% of us have/would never notice). These inspections are opportunities for improvement, and I trust Carnival (or any line) takes them seriously to correct. We have inspections of our restaurants by the city and it isn't unusual for "conditional pass"es to be issued while corrective actions take place. If the violations are serious enough, whether a mom and pop restaurant or a mega cruise liner, they'll be shut down. Otherwise, there is a system to make corrections for a reason. What most cruise lines do is already beyond impressive, given the task.

Carnival Legand failed the latest CDC Sanitation Inspection Report. Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas also failed. The Carnival Dream barely passed.

There is no excuse for these highly profitable companies having these kind of issues.

See the news report:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/c23e5d2f-c05e-30d9-a503-ee5fa0ff1a13/the-14-worst-cruise-ships-on.html

I don't understand this ? Every time I cruise I'm always having to clean a table off so I can sit down to eat. I put my best foot forward. :o.

I own a restaurant, once a year is very common for health inspections.

I have never been seated at a dirty table. If you are talking about the Lido deck, I would never sit at a dirty table. I bus enough tables at home, not going to do it on vacation. Also when they wipe a table they are using a sanitizing solution.

I own a restaurant, once a year is very common for health inspections.

I have never been seated at a dirty table. If you are talking about the Lido deck, I would never sit at a dirty table. I bus enough tables at home, not going to do it on vacation. Also when they wipe a table they are using a sanitizing solution.

Lido at least onçe every cruise ,yes or there would be no table to sit at. And they do clean using sanitiziñg solution using one cloth over and over again before rinsing it.

Lido at least onçe every cruise ,yes or there would be no table to sit at. And they do clean using sanitiziñg solution using one cloth over and over again before rinsing it.

I only skimmed the reports, but think there was one defect where the wrong cleaning cloth was used. Also think that was resolved. I will leave it as an exercise for others to verify.

USPH inspections are generally 2 per year. There is no set time frame but generally twice per season.... and I can tell you Carnival takes the results VERY seriously and results (good and bad) are shared with much of the offices, other ships and staff to identify issues found on other ships so they can correct them.... these inspections are incredibly detailed and cover passenger and food prep,areas as well as engine, sanitation, lighting, crew areas etc... if land based restaurants were held to the same standards, I would venture to guess less than 15% would pass! These stringent standards are because passengers are confined to the ship and any food born outbreaks can be compounded by being at sea and the limited medical options... so they are much more strict. The kitchens and such are immaculate compared to land kitchens!!

The "latest" inspection report for Legend was in April with corrective actions filed

The Dream inspection was last February.

Some items were corrected during the inspections and I didn't see any that were not resolved.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

Thanks for sharing this link. Very interesting information to read. I really learned a lot about the inspection results and recommendations.

I have enjoyed the Chef's Table and Behind the Fun programs on three Carnival Ships. I did not see anything but first class cleanliness and ship shape organization in the crew spaces. I was most interested in how they handle waste disposal on the ship, and keeping the water supply sanitary. They passed my scrutiny with flying colors for their recycling program and potable water testing. I was happy to see an engineer from the laundry equipment maker who had the knowledge and desire to keep the washers and dryers in working and sanitary condition, even performing preventive maintenance whilst underway. I have to give high praise to the crew that keeps the floor clean in the kitchens. They were spotless. Many banquet kitchen floors look like a dumpster got caught in a whirlwind after a serving, but not on Carnival. Even the walls and ceiling looked like they were recently wiped down that day. I am perfectly comfortable boarding a Carnival ship. I am currently booked for three through next April.:ship:(y):D

I'm not at all surprised that Royal also had two ships on the list (and in the bottom 8).

This is what comes from depending too much on reputation and not nearly enough on what goes on behind the nameplate.

As I recall, either Oasis or Allure failed its FIRST health inspection.

Brand-new ship, new facilities....and it failed. :o