Bus to Coal Miners museum -Sydney

nautica34

Plan on taking the public bus to the miners museum. Ship will be in port from 11 to 6 (assume would have to be back by 5:30). Anyone know what the traffic is like from 4pm on? The bus runs every hour so most likely have to take the 12pm bus which is supposed to be a 50 minute ride then 20 minute walk. The tour and the movie are approx 2 hours com combined which would leave little time for the museum. Main concern is getting back to the ship on time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I would recommend looking at alternative travel methods. Renting a car for the day would be much more time-efficient even allowing for the extra time going to collect/return the car, and should be less than a cab each way (ballpark $40 on the meter).

Perhaps there are others on your roll-call you could share a cab ride or car rental with for more savings. While more expensive than the public bus, even if all goes perfectly to schedule you're going to have to cut short your trip (the mining museum is well worth a long stay!)

I would recommend looking at alternative travel methods. Renting a car for the day would be much more time-efficient even allowing for the extra time going to collect/return the car, and should be less than a cab each way (ballpark $40 on the meter).

Perhaps there are others on your roll-call you could share a cab ride or car rental with for more savings. While more expensive than the public bus, even if all goes perfectly to schedule you're going to have to cut short your trip (the mining museum is well worth a long stay!)

Thanks so much! I tried renting a car a few years ago in Sydney only to find out the reservation was lost along with a few other people. Concerned about trying again. Rolll call has little activity. Appreciate your advice.

That makes a lot of sense, nautica34. Let us know how it goes and if I need to update my information. I have taken the Coal Mine tour and it is well worth it, hearing from a retired miner what their work and lives were like.

That makes a lot of sense, nautica34. Let us know how it goes and if I need to update my information. I have taken the Coal Mine tour and it is well worth it, hearing from a retired miner what their work and lives were like.

Maryann,

I certainly will. Hope it works out and gives us enough time for the tour and to explore. You are always tremendously helpful! Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...

Back from cruise. We did visit the mines which was a great experience. Our ship was scheduled to dock at 11, fortunately she arrived a bit early. We were off by 10:45 and headed directly to the bus in hopes of catching the 11am bus which we barely made. That helped a lot instead of waiting the hour until 12. Bus arrived at our stop few minutes before 12. We arrived at the museum (Easy to find with signs posted) about 12:15. Upon arrival we were told the next available tour was 1:45 (was not informed this previously when corresponding with museum, waa told tours run when have enough people arrive). We pleaded our case and were able to join the 1pm tour. Since the timing worked out in our favor, we were able to catch the 3pm bus instead of taking taxi back.

Back from cruise. We did visit the mines which was a great experience. Our ship was scheduled to dock at 11, fortunately she arrived a bit early. We were off by 10:45 and headed directly to the bus in hopes of catching the 11am bus which we barely made. That helped a lot instead of waiting the hour until 12. Bus arrived at our stop few minutes before 12. We arrived at the museum (Easy to find with signs posted) about 12:15. Upon arrival we were told the next available tour was 1:45 (was not informed this previously when corresponding with museum, waa told tours run when have enough people arrive). We pleaded our case and were able to join the 1pm tour. Since the timing worked out in our favor, we were able to catch the 3pm bus instead of taking taxi back.

Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience. Do you know if the bus runs on Saturday? or have a link you can share?

Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience. Do you know if the bus runs on Saturday? or have a link you can share?

Unfortunately, I don't have a link. I have correspondence from email exchange with the museum, tried to copy/paste the content on here. Can copy but unable to paste. Can forward email if you would like. Sounds like bus runs on Saturday based on email but not positive (went on Tuesday)

Unfortunately, I don't have a link. I have correspondence from email exchange with the museum, tried to copy/paste the content on here. Can copy but unable to paste. Can forward email if you would like. Sounds like bus runs on Saturday based on email but not positive (went on Tuesday)

My email is suek46 at gmail dot com Thanks....