Resort Areas In Maui: Wailea vs. Kapalua

ajtraveler66

We are going to be renting a car in Kahului on Sunday, July 23, and we would like to "explore" one or two of the luxury resorts during part of our day...maybe even have lunch there. [The fact that it's a weekend day may affect how you respond to this post]

After that, we'd also like to do a little bit of beach time. [Nothing overcrowded, please].

What resort area do you think would impress us the most? And what beach would you recommend that we visit for the remainder of the day? [We are not into snorkeling or surfing.... just a little beach walking is what we like....getting a little wet every now and then...a chair and an umbrella ... that's about it].

We are going to be renting a car in Kahului on Sunday, July 23, and we would like to "explore" one or two of the luxury resorts during part of our day...maybe even have lunch there. [The fact that it's a weekend day may affect how you respond to this post]

After that, we'd also like to do a little bit of beach time. [Nothing overcrowded, please].

What resort area do you think would impress us the most? And what beach would you recommend that we visit for the remainder of the day? [We are not into snorkeling or surfing.... just a little beach walking is what we like....getting a little wet every now and then...a chair and an umbrella ... that's about it].

We have a place at Montage at Kapalua where we like to go when we want some time to relax without going off island. Kapalua is quiet and laid back and just a different type of feeling than the rest of the island. Hard to explain unless you have been there. Since our daughter is physically disabled, she can go there without having the hassle of getting through airports and flying. It works for us, but we have to say for you Wailea would be more what it seems you are looking for. There are more resorts and walking area and restaurants, etc. around Wailea. Astro Flyer knows much more about Wailea than we do, and hopefully will chime in here.

Agree, Wailea would be the better spot for you. First, much easier to get to from the ship-twice the driving time to Kapalua. Second, overall, looking at a full day, Wailea will typically have the better weather. (Kapalua can get windy and possibly drizzle or sprinkles in afternoon...more likely at Kapalua). IMHO, the beaches are better at Wailea, and due to cliffs and bays at Kapalua, a little easier to walk and access at Wailea. The "cliffs and bays" does make Kapalua very pretty.

I agree also that there are more restaurants and other things to do at Wailea.

I agree with Silver Sweethearts & CruiserBruce that based on your preferences Wailea would be your best option.

On most days we drive about 15 minutes from our house to walk roundtrip along the oceanfront paved walkway in Wailea. It's 1.5 miles one-way in front of the resort hotels from the Andaz to the Kea Lani with wonderful beaches. There are paved parking lots, outdoor showers & indoor bathrooms located at each end of the walkway & in the middle. There are sandy beaches & some lava points for tide pooling and a couple of good snorkeling spots. We bring our own chairs & umbrellas so not sure which hotels may rent them. I have seen them available at the Grand Wailea but have no knowledge about other hotels.

The hotels have many restaurants & there's also a fun Irish restaurant (Mulligans on the Blue) a short drive away on a hilltop overlooking the ocean. The Shops at Wailea have shopping & restaurants including Ruth's Chris, Tommy Bahama, Longhi's and Cheeseburger Grille.

http://mulligansontheblue.com/

http://www.theshopsatwailea.com/

There are undeveloped beaches between Wailea & Makena and further south is the lava flow from Haleakala's most recent eruption in the late 1700s.

Even without traffic the drive to Kapalua takes at least twice the time as to Wailea. I previously posted on this forum information about lengthy traffic delays to West Maui (Lahaina to Kapalua) which is even worse if there's an incident. There's basically only one route there unlike to Wailea which has 2 better road options.

As Silver said, Kapalua is also great but based on your desires then Wailea would be your best option. If you want additional information on the Wailea/Makena area I may be able to provide some answers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Agree, Wailea would be the better spot for you. First, much easier to get to from the ship-twice the driving time to Kapalua. Second, overall, looking at a full day, Wailea will typically have the better weather. (Kapalua can get windy and possibly drizzle or sprinkles in afternoon...more likely at Kapalua). IMHO, the beaches are better at Wailea, and due to cliffs and bays at Kapalua, a little easier to walk and access at Wailea. The "cliffs and bays" does make Kapalua very pretty.

I agree also that there are more restaurants and other things to do at Wailea.

I will disagree with everything here, especially in July. Wailea might be the better choice for you, but not for the reasons stated.

The question really ought to be Wailea vs Ka'anapali, since I wouldn't compare Wailea to Kapalua, they are completely different kinds of areas.

At Ka'anapali because of Whaler's Village you have many more choices for dining, better choices for beaches and probably more choices for renting chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

Ka'anapali's jet ski and time share environment really doesn't compare with Wailea.

And Kapalua's lack of contiguous beaches, shopping area and multiple restaurants makes it a poor comparison with Wailea.

The only 5 star hotel in Wailea is the Four Seasons, the rest are all 4 star, just like the Hyatt Regency, Sheraton and Westin Maui resort in Ka'anapali.

I'm interested in doing the same thing, sailing on NCL POA at the end of the month. I'd like to find a beach with conveniences, as we will have our nieces with us (12 and 9). So, beach umbrellas/chairs, bathrooms, etc. will be a necessity. Even better if there are things like boogie boards to rent. I'm torn between Ka'anapali and Wailea. The girls also like to shop, if that makes a difference. This is their first time traveling anywhere outside of Florida, so I would really like to make this a nice day for them! :)

I'm interested in doing the same thing, sailing on NCL POA at the end of the month. I'd like to find a beach with conveniences, as we will have our nieces with us (12 and 9). So, beach umbrellas/chairs, bathrooms, etc. will be a necessity. Even better if there are things like boogie boards to rent. I'm torn between Ka'anapali and Wailea. The girls also like to shop, if that makes a difference. This is their first time traveling anywhere outside of Florida, so I would really like to make this a nice day for them! :)

Whenever our grandkids visit us they all have a blast in Wailea & they're the same ages as your nieces. You can rent those things at both places but Wailea has plenty of free parking which is mostly paid parking in Ka'anapali which has very limited free public use parking spaces. Ka'anapali's Whalers Village has more shops & is more accessible than the Shops at Wailea. I think that Wailea is more scenic & is a more relaxing experience than in Ka'anapali. And the drive to Wailea takes half the time as to Ka'anapali which is also more likely to have even longer traffic delays.

As you'll read both are good options & only you can decide which is your best option. ;)

Whenever our grandkids visit us they all have a blast in Wailea & they're the same ages as your nieces. You can rent those things at both places but Wailea has plenty of free parking which is mostly paid parking in Ka'anapali which has very limited free public use parking spaces. Ka'anapali's Whalers Village has more shops & is more accessible than the Shops at Wailea.

As you'll read both are good options & only you can decide which is your best option. ;)

Thank you! Is it crazy to consider trying out both? I mean, we are renting a car and going on our first day (so the ship is in port overnight and we don't have to rush). We'll also be with my father in law who doesn't have the greatest mobility (but hangs in there pretty well).

Thank you! Is it crazy to consider trying out both? I mean, we are renting a car and going on our first day (so the ship is in port overnight and we don't have to rush). We'll also be with my father in law who doesn't have the greatest mobility (but hangs in there pretty well).

I wouldn't go to both places on the same day but it's doable if you only want to enjoy beaches on both days.

Here's a link to the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau website (www.gohawaii.com) which is a decent free resource for researching your options on all Islands.

That'll give you an idea about more things to do & you'll see there are many other things to experience here on Maui. Upcountry in the Kula area is a cooler lush green pastoral experience (it even has the Maui Winery) midway up to the 10,000 foot cratered summit of Haleakala. In Ma'alaea there's the Maui Ocean Center aquarium (mostly inside & out of the heat) which our grandkids greatly enjoy during each visit. The Road to Hana through lush rainforests is another option...it's a long drive but it's not so much about the destination as it is about the journey.

These are merely some of my thoughts based on decades of both visiting & living in Maui. But that doesn't make any of my experiences more valid than anyone else's opinions. Some visitors try to do too many things & mostly see things from a vehicle but I'd suggest to get out of the car to more fully experience the beauty of the Valley Isle. :cool:

There's a term used in Hawaii to Shaka...Hang Loose. :D