Med v Caribbean

popper

Have done several Caribbean sailings with SD and next one is Athens to Venice...

For those who have done both Med and Caribbean, besides location (obviously) what are biggest differences in the cruise vibe/activities?

I assume no Beach Splash on last day, but is there something similar?

Thanks in advance

Have done several Caribbean sailings with SD and next one is Athens to Venice...

For those who have done both Med and Caribbean, besides location (obviously) what are biggest differences in the cruise vibe/activities?

I assume no Beach Splash on last day, but is there something similar?

Thanks in advance

There are quite a few differing opinions on your subject but you asked for responses so here is my opinion. SeaDream is the best in the Caribbean by far. Hands down... In the Med, I feel the atmosphere is a touch more "formal". Usually there are more Europeans on board, not that this is a bad thing.......Ho-Hum is almost one of them. We tend to do more excursions or long walks off the ship in the med. In the Caribbean many days are "sea days" for us. Onboard activities are much the same but are far more weather dependent. On one October Med cruise it was rainy and cold all days but one and SD becomes very small when the outdoor spaces are not useable. On ours, no beach Splash. We have had it on the pool deck or in the Main Salon, again weather dependent.

There are quite a few differing opinions on your subject but you asked for responses so here is my opinion. SeaDream is the best in the Caribbean by far. Hands down... In the Med, I feel the atmosphere is a touch more "formal". Usually there are more Europeans on board, not that this is a bad thing.......Ho-Hum is almost one of them. We tend to do more excursions or long walks off the ship in the med. In the Caribbean many days are "sea days" for us. Onboard activities are much the same but are far more weather dependent. On one October Med cruise it was rainy and cold all days but one and SD becomes very small when the outdoor spaces are not useable. On ours, no beach Splash. We have had it on the pool deck or in the Main Salon, again weather dependent.

Thanks for your response Jim,

We travel in August, so likely prior to cold, wet season... itinerary is through Croatia, I like to be off ship and do something, so sounds pretty good!

We have spent four weeks on board in the Med, and I have no idea how many in the Caribbean, including a Venice to Athens voyage that was two weeks. I think that you will find in the Med that a lot more time is spent ashore. We didn't notice much difference in the feel of the ship. I do not recall any beach days in the Med, though I do recall using the water toys a few times.

The only issue with August is that a lot of Europe is on holiday and you might run into kids on board.

Have to agree with everything Jim and zqvol said. We did quite a few Caribbean cruises with SD before we decided to do Europe. We weren't sure we would enjoy it as much, and on one vacation we chose Silversea, which we had sailed before, simply because of that uncertainty, even though the itineraries were similar. The next year we decided to do SD from Amsterdam to Lisbon and have done several more since then. It is different, but in a nice way. The ports are more significant a consideration than they are in the Caribbean (where they are all pretty much the same sand and warm water). Much easier to walk off the calories in Europe. The passenger mix has more Europeans, which can be very educational. Have met some wonderful folks on those cruises. I believe we have had the barbecue lunch one day on each of these sailings, something I really enjoy. And, of course, the crew is just as outstanding as in the Caribbean. And isn't that why we continue to choose SD anyway?

I think our favorite SD cruise was the one we did from Rome to Athens, mainly because we enjoy European ports a lot more than Caribbean ones. Other than that, we found it very much like the SD we loved in the Caribbean, except it was too cold for water sports. ;)

We are long overdue for a SD cruise. My husband left the Army in 2014, then we moved to Europe. I'm hoping I can book another Med cruise on SD sometime soon. I still haven't been on SD II!