No HAL Ships in Port Everglades......

sail7seas

We just spent a little over a week in FLL and loved being there but there is an 'emptiness' when we looked out at Port Everglades and saw no blue hulled beauties. Actually, we saw almost no ships at all.

Oasis came in and left as scheduled on Saturday despite Hurricane Isaac which had not yet arrived at South Florida. I expect they encountered some rough sailing but have not gone to the RCI site to read comments from those who were aboard.

Allure delayed her usual Sunday arrival until Tuesday and there were some really good natured Allure cruisers in our hotel. They took it in their stride and made the best of their extended Florida stay.

BUT when we go to FLL at a time when HAL has no ships in I have an emptiness in some deep part of me. It makes me realize how much HAL has become a part of our lives.

We usually would have been on Maasdam doing Canada/New England but DH could not take off that amount of time from his office so we substituted a shorter resort stay.

Anyone else feel attached to the ships in anything resembling that sort of way? I grant we've sailed a lot more than many and that surely is a factor.

I can't admit to that deep an attachment, but I do miss going to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise cam on Sundays. Love that deep-throated blast as a HAL ship clears the harbor.

I still get excited whenever I book a cruise, whenever I make final payment as occurred this past Tuesday. I still love the feeling of anticipation when we finally arrive at the port and when we cross the gangway. If those feeling ever go away, I'll know something is amiss in my personal life or in me. Then I'll immediately book another cruise as a sure-fire remedy!

With that kind of attachment maybe it's time to think of taking a land vacation to a different resort area where the memories aren't so distressing to you. Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but there are plenty of great places to go other than the same hotel, same restaurants, same view. How about the west coast of FL- Naples is terrific as is Sarasota. Try a new experience for fun.

With that kind of attachment maybe it's time to think of taking a land vacation to a different resort area where the memories aren't so distressing to you. Ft. Lauderdale is nice' date=' but there are plenty of great places to go other than the same hotel, same restaurants, same view. How about the west coast of FL- Naples is terrific as is Sarasota. Try a new experience for fun.[/quote']

:D We've been to dozens of various resorts throughout Caribbean, domestic, Europe, Bermuda, Hawaii.........

No worries. ;)

Lots of variety but we certainly do have favorites and friends....

We so loved seeing our friends and having some great dinners out inclulding at some restaurants we'd never even heard of before. :)

We had a wonderful vacation celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary and it was nice to do so with good friends.

:D We've been to dozens of various resorts throughout Caribbean, domestic, Europe, Bermuda, Hawaii.........

No worries. ;)

Lots of variety but we certainly do have favorites and friends....

We so loved seeing our friends and having some great dinners out inclulding at some restaurants we'd never even heard of before. :)

We had a wonderful vacation celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary and it was nice to do so with good friends.

Glad you had a great anniversary - happy anniversary Judy:):)

BUT when we go to FLL at a time when HAL has no ships in I have an emptiness in some deep part of me. It makes me realize how much HAL has become a part of our lives.

Anyone else feel attached to the ships in anything resembling that sort of way?

No.

I think it is time that you moved up to Crystal, Seabourn, or Silversea and got over your HAL obsession. HAL is not that special and your making it such an important part of your life is not healthy.

Welcome to Fort Lauderdale in summertime -- the slow season! :D

I think you got that sentimental feeling because you probably were staying in the hotel where you always stay when you cruise, looking out at the same view of the port, etc. Boarding a HAL ship is just part of the experience ... and this time you weren't doing that. :(

If you had booked another hotel in Fort Lauderdale, away from the port, you wouldn't have felt that tug on the emotions.

Happy anniversary, Judy. You're a few years ahead of us. Well done!

I understand how you feel. In my case, a particular ship more than a line. I felt that way about QE2. One time we were headed into NYC for lunch with a perfect day planned--lunch with a friend, play tickets, etc. As we drove down the ramp to the Lincoln tunnel, I could see QE2 docked, about to sail on the world cruise. I said to DH, "Forget Broadway, I want to get on the ship!!" Another time, we boarded an NCL ship in NYC, with inlaws (who chose the cruise since it was their anniversary). QE2 was docked next to us. I felt like was caught being unfaithful!

So I guess I had an "unhealthy obsession," too. And you know what? I enjoyed it!

Seriously, if you are that attached to HAL, how about a HAL tattoo. Choose your favorite ship, have it tattooed on you, and you'll have it wherever you go. ;)

Oh my, that's a suggestion I never would have 'seen coming'. :D Nooo, Nooo, I won't be getting any tattoos.

Just not a personal choice, for me.

Happy anniversary, Judy. You're a few years ahead of us. Well done!

I understand how you feel. In my case, a particular ship more than a line. I felt that way about QE2. One time we were headed into NYC for lunch with a perfect day planned--lunch with a friend, play tickets, etc. As we drove down the ramp to the Lincoln tunnel, I could see QE2 docked, about to sail on the world cruise. I said to DH, "Forget Broadway, I want to get on the ship!!" Another time, we boarded an NCL ship in NYC, with inlaws (who chose the cruise since it was their anniversary). QE2 was docked next to us. I felt like was caught being unfaithful!

So I guess I had an "unhealthy obsession," too. And you know what? I enjoyed it!

Kathy,

Seems there are those here who are suggesting we need therapy.

What they don't get is "HAL IS my therapy".

When we have wounds to heal, HAL is where we go. ;)

And they never let us down.

I so understand your message !!! :)

Thanks for the Anniversary wishes.

We just spent a little over a week in FLL and loved being there but there is an 'emptiness' when we looked out at Port Everglades and saw no blue hulled beauties. Actually, we saw almost no ships at all.

Oasis came in and left as scheduled on Saturday despite Hurricane Isaac which had not yet arrived at South Florida. I expect they encountered some rough sailing but have not gone to the RCI site to read comments from those who were aboard.

Allure delayed her usual Sunday arrival until Tuesday and there were some really good natured Allure cruisers in our hotel. They took it in their stride and made the best of their extended Florida stay.

We usually would have been on Maasdam doing Canada/New England but DH could not take off that amount of time from his office so we substituted a shorter resort stay.

Anyone else feel attached to the ships in anything resembling that sort of way? I grant we've sailed a lot more than many and that surely is a factor.

Right now the only ships coming into Port Everglades are the Carnival Freedom and RCCL's Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Personally, I wish HAL would leave a ship in the Caribbean. They did this, you know!

Oh my, that's a suggestion I never would have 'seen coming'. :D Nooo, Nooo, I won't be getting any tattoos.

Just not a personal choice, for me.

lol, just kidding. I'm trying to get everyone to get a tattoo, as I plan to be the last person on earth without one. :)

3rdGenCunarder -- I understand your obsession with the QE2. I only sailed on her once but it was unforgettable. I was in Maui on her last trip there (on her last world cruise I think) and when she sailed out of Lahaina, she got very close to shore, and I stood on my balcony and cried. Lots of flashes going off from her decks and from shore. I felt very silly but I just couldn't help the tears!

Right now the only ships coming into Port Everglades are the Carnival Freedom and RCCL's Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Personally, I wish HAL would leave a ship in the Caribbean. They did this, you know!

We watched those three ships sail. Oasis and Freedom went as scheduled but Allure was two days late.

We sailed HAL ships summer in the Caribbean for years, b-to-b. We loved those cruises. HAL used to send their brand new ships their first year sailing to the Caribbean for summer cruises. We sailed Veendam, Zaandam, Maasdam, Zuiderdam and I don't know which others during summers. We'd be thrilled for HAL to do those cruises again but there seems little to no chance that will happen absent some major world event which dictates that as a choice.

Have an opportunity to take cruise in May (its a long story) Anyway we had to resort to going on Freedom of the Seas. Dont think I can handle those superzize behemoths. I will try to make the most of it, but I am really going to miss my promenade deck, but we are going to have cartoon characters. Whoopee!! :D

LOL. Actually seeing your favorite ship sailing out to sea without you and wishing you were on her isn't an "unhealthy obsession". Almost everyone who cruises feels like that. An obsession is when something becomes overly important in your life and almost every waking moment is spent thinking about it. That I would worry about.

Have an opportunity to take cruise in May (its a long story) Anyway we had to resort to going on Freedom of the Seas. Dont think I can handle those superzize behemoths. I will try to make the most of it, but I am really going to miss my promenade deck, but we are going to have cartoon characters. Whoopee!! :D

Well, I know you won't have a mouse or a princess. What cartoon characters do they have on Freedom of the Seas?

Archived