Missed out on an upgrade because my TA was closed!

I used a travel agent for the first time for my upcoming cruise on Harmony of the Seas and booked a D8 Superior Ocean View with Balcony stateroom. The entire experience has been a nightmare! Yesterday a Junior Suite Guarantee was cheaper than what we originally paid for our room but because it was a weekend I couldn't contact her so she could call RCI and get us the upgrade. When we talked today she said it's best to book directly if you want to make a lot of changes??? Is this true?? I can't understand why anyone would use a TA if they're only open M-F 9a-5p and you miss out on time sensitive upgrades....Is everyone who uses a TA missing out on deals that come outside regular business hours??

Also a few weeks ago the price dropped for our original D8 so I called her and asked about getting OBC or the fare repriced but we couldn't because we're past final payment. Afterwards I found out that we could upgrade to a D2 (Superior Ocean View with Large Balcony) since it was also cheaper than our original fare for the D8 but when I called the TA she said RCI wanted 1K to upgrade. After calling RCI and confirming with a supervisor then having RCI call my TA and authorize them to talk directly to me I finally got the upgrade (for no extra $$) but wow, this seems so much more difficult than just booking it on our own.

She also didn't mention the C&A Refer a Friend program which netted a $50 OBC after I found out about it and followed up on my own. So frustrating!!

You've got to find the right travel agent for you. Ours does check her email on the weekend and we've been able to take advantage of some price drops that occured on a Sunday.

You found yourself a TA that doesn't work for you. Fire the TA, not all TAs. Or just book direct and forget about any perks a TA throws at you. The only issue I have w/ using a TA is that overtime when we book a cruise at the Next Cruise desk while on a cruise, the TA that is listed on the current cruise is sent the reservation. Even if we request them NOT to. As the one who books the cruise, it should be I who selects the TA.

Like the others said you just have the wrong TA. You need to find a more accessible one.

That said, we always forgo whatever perks there are and book direct with RCL. In the past year or so we caught a couple of very good price drops that happened early in the morning before most TA's are open. Had we had to go thru them we would have lost out

Like the others said you just have the wrong TA. You need to find a more accessible one.

That said, we always forgo whatever perks there are and book direct with RCL. In the past year or so we caught a couple of very good price drops that happened early in the morning before most TA's are open. Had we had to go thru them we would have lost out

It also helps when one is up at 4am!!!:eek:

Tina,

Here's what I do... I book cruises ONLY when the cruise dates are first released, even it's 2yrs in advance or... if a TA can offer me a 'group' pricing. These two items virtually prevent any significant price drops for the duration of the cruise. This is the only way I've been able to take advantage of excellent pricing & TA perks.

When we talked today she said it's best to book directly if you want to make a lot of changes??? Is this true?

It doesn't matter if it's true for anyone else - if your TA tells you they can't be bothered with "a lot of changes", it's time to move on.

Tina,

Here's what I do... I book cruises ONLY when the cruise dates are first released, even it's 2yrs in advance or... if a TA can offer me a 'group' pricing. These two items virtually prevent any significant price drops for the duration of the cruise. This is the only way I've been able to take advantage of excellent pricing & TA perks.

You're a mind reader, you answered my question 2 minutes before I posted! I'm looking to book a June 2019 cruise, from what I heard those itineraries might come out in March 2018, does that seem right to you?

It doesn't matter if it's true for anyone else - if your TA tells you they can't be bothered with "a lot of changes", it's time to move on.

Trust me, once I get on that ship she's never hearing from me again but I always book directly and have never used a TA so I'm not sure of the etiquette. It could be that I'm the one asking too much or not following the norms, so that's why I asked. I guess you're saying that's not normal, to book and not make a lot of changes, just because you use a TA?

... I guess you're saying that's not normal, to book and not make a lot of changes, just because you use a TA?

Correct, we make lots of changes with our TA. Just asked for a price drop this morning.

I guess you're saying that's not normal, to book and not make a lot of changes, just because you use a TA?

The main point of a TA is to "service" your booking - if they straight up tell you they can't be bothered with that, they are a terrible TA. Some may think that (time spent on an existing booking costs them money), but would never tell that to a client.

Sounds like you were after final payment -- according to your second paragraph (unless that's a different cruise). If that's the case, I have a feeling Royal would not have let you switch to a JS Guarantee anyway. Hoping that may make you feel better - there is a chance you might not have gotten it. I know this because on my Freedom cruise 2 weeks ago a better cabin came available cheaper after final payment and I didn't get anything, including no OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The main point of a TA is to "service" your booking - if they straight up tell you they can't be bothered with that, they are a terrible TA. Some may think that (time spent on an existing booking costs them money), but would never tell that to a client.

You don't know the half of it. Unfortunate that this was my first experience using one. I'll probably book direct for a while until I forget about this horrible experience.

Sounds like you were after final payment -- according to your second paragraph (unless that's a different cruise). If that's the case, I have a feeling Royal would not have let you switch to a JS Guarantee anyway. Hoping that may make you feel better - there is a chance you might not have gotten it. I know this because on my Freedom cruise 2 weeks ago a better cabin came available cheaper after final payment and I didn't get anything, including no OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I was after final payment and RCI would have let me upgrade, I called them first and asked because I know the TA is unreliable. Additionally, the first upgrade from D8 to D2 was after final payment as well. Sounds like you were eligible for an upgrade and received some incorrect information.

Some offers are for new bookings only, like most of the time on sales on the GGG flier.

Very true, what you said could be correct or what I said could be correct, but my main point was that they mentioned having a "feeling" I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade after final payment because they weren't when they were in the same situation but I have an anecdotal experience that directly contradicts that feeling. With the information provided it sounds more like incorrect information (to me) rather than a deal for new sailings only.

My TA is only open M-F 9a-5p however I take that risk because the perks that I get (Like free round trip transportation to and from the cruise terminal in NYC) are far beyond the potential missed opportunities of a price drop.

If the perks you are getting are not significant, I would just book with RCI directly.

If you call and say you're the TA and provide the agency phone number (which is how they verify the TA) then they'll disclose stuff to you.

That being said, if your TA finds out you're doing a bunch of changes while pretending to be them they'll put a password on the booking.

Guest maddycat
You found yourself a TA that doesn't work for you. Fire the TA, not all TAs. Or just book direct and forget about any perks a TA throws at you. The only issue I have w/ using a TA is that overtime when we book a cruise at the Next Cruise desk while on a cruise, the TA that is listed on the current cruise is sent the reservation. Even if we request them NOT to. As the one who books the cruise, it should be I who selects the TA.

I ask the RCI ship board consultant at the next cruise desk to make sure that the booking is in my name. I check the paper work before I leave the desk. If necessary any mistakes are corrected at that time. I learned to do this the hard way. It is much easier to correct any mistakes at the time of the initial booking rather than later.