The Three Things I Think Royal Caribbean Should Consider For Their Fleet

These are three things that I have been thinking for awhile that Royal Caribbean should put on their ships. Now these are just my opinion and it could be debated whether these would be paid or free experiences, but I just thought I would throw them out there.

1) Virtual Reality Experience. When you're stuck on a ship for sea days, or sometimes even many sea days, you want to find things to do that are out of the ordinary. Virtual Reality Companies like The VOID (https://www.thevoid.com/) have incredible virtual reality experiences that would be perfect for cruise ships. They only require a small stage and the actual experience is mind blowing! If anyone were to adopt these types of experiences, I would think it would be Royal Caribbean, since they are always looking for the next innovative thing to put on their ships.

2) Snow Cones. How nice would it be to relax on the pool deck with your kids and let them have a snow cone to cool off. My kids LOVE "snowies" as they call them, and I think just about most kids do. This would be a pretty cool addition to the ships.

3) Big Lazy River. I know a select few of the ships have a miniature "lazy river" in the kids play area, but think about if they had a lazy river that went around the whole ship! Yes, you would likely need more lifeguards, but how fun is the lazy river, just sitting on a tube or hanging out in the water with your kids being pushed along, and the cool views that you would get as you go. I think this would be pretty cool, even just for a select few ships that are big time family ships, maybe.

I have quite a few more ideas, but I just wanted to share these few and see what people think.

Do you have some ideas as to what you would like to see on there ships? Please feel free to share!

They already put in small pools, can't see them ever putting in a "Big" Lazy River.

Virtual Reality sounds like it would fit right in with the other gimmicks they are putting on new ships:p

I'm sure kids of all ages would love snow cones :)

I think a lazy river would be amazing!!! I could see it winding along the entire ship with bridge walkways to not disturb passenger flow. Personally would be MUCH better then standing around shoulder to shoulder in little pools. One thing I would add would be bars along the way. Order and drop your card then have it ready to pick up when you go around again :p

On a side note, I so wish that cruise ships had actual pool bars in the adult pool area. That's one thing we do miss on cruises as opposed to all-inclusives. I'm sure there are many reasons why they don't do this but there is nothing better then sitting on a stool in the water with a cold drink. A girl can dream....

Crewmembers that enforce the 30-minute chair hog rule.

Agreed....although I will say that on the last sea day on the Liberty in April they were really enforcing it early in the morning. A friend and I were out there very early (for me at least) and there were 2 crew members going around making sure nobody was saving seats. One woman close by was in her seat but had stuff down on multiple chairs next to her. They came around once and told her they would have to come soon, he came back about 20ish minutes later and said she had to remove the belongings because they weren't there. So, there's hope. I will say that they stopped enforcing as the day went on, but at least it prevented people coming in at the crack of dawn and saving seats for the entire day.

They already put in small pools, can't see them ever putting in a "Big" Lazy River.

Virtual Reality sounds like it would fit right in with the other gimmicks they are putting on new ships:p

I'm sure kids of all ages would love snow cones :)

You are absolutely right, VR would be a new gimmick, but honestly, I'd much prefer to do an experience like The VOID at sea, rather than the new things like the escape rooms, etc. Frankly, I think Royal Caribbean, if they did it right, would make a lot more money off of this type of thing too. I've got to tell you, it's pretty cool!

Anyway, just some thoughts. Yea, I think the snow cones would be a big hit!

I have said for a long time that a cruise line, particularly a family oriented one, can get market share and rebooking by adding one thing:

The Cruise Fleet's Best Cookie

Cookies are very cheap to make and an advertisement like that draws both families and people will remember having such a great cookie and will come back. Sounds trite, I know, but it really is the small things that make cruises memorable.

Last 2 cruises (Vision and Navigator) they did seem to enforce the 30 minute rule. Personally witnessed staff put post it notes on chairs with the time on them and return to remove items after 30 minutes.

I wish Royal would barbecue burgers and hotdogs by the pool the way Celebrity does. They are much better than the awful burgers Royal has in the windjammer. It also relieves crowding in the buffet on sea days .

Children would really enjoy your idea for snow cones. It could be a free perk or added to the drink package. Actually, many adults would enjoy the snow comes on a hot day.,

I would! Can run be added without melting them too fast?

On the lazy river, lazy is my first name. If NCL can put a go cart track on a ship, why not a lazy river, unless having 2 million gallons 140 feet above the water line causes any issues.

I think a lazy river would be amazing!!! I could see it winding along the entire ship with bridge walkways to not disturb passenger flow. Personally would be MUCH better then standing around shoulder to shoulder in little pools. One thing I would add would be bars along the way. Order and drop your card then have it ready to pick up when you go around again :p

On a side note, I so wish that cruise ships had actual pool bars in the adult pool area. That's one thing we do miss on cruises as opposed to all-inclusives. I'm sure there are many reasons why they don't do this but there is nothing better then sitting on a stool in the water with a cold drink. A girl can dream....

I think a lazy river is nice idea, but extremely unlikely due to the logistics.

I used a swim up bar once. ONCE. I know people pee in pools. I know it happens. Swim up bars where multiple people are giggling about how many times they've peed since they got there? No thanks. I hopped out immediately. That was my one visit and I'm sure it's atypical, but highly likely.

Addition of more seafood choices in their buffet.

Adding salmon back to breakfast buffet on all ships.

Placing towels on loungers like Celebrity does and maybe adding pads to loungers.