Likely a Dumb Question Regarding Beverage Packages

So, I see the alcohol-based package is $55 a day, and the non-alcohol Refreshment package (i.e. virgin cocktails, soda, water, etc.) is only $18. I'm not the drink-all-day type, but I know I'll go nuts on the water and coffee, and I will want a few drinks at night.

Here's my question: Is there anything preventing me from buying a couple shots to go along with my free virgin mojitos? There's a big difference between $425 and about $150 for the week (times three)!

So, I see the alcohol-based package is $55 a day, and the non-alcohol Refreshment package (i.e. virgin cocktails, soda, water, etc.) is only $18. I'm not the drink-all-day type, but I know I'll go nuts on the water and coffee, and I will want a few drinks at night.

Here's my question: Is there anything preventing me from buying a couple shots to go along with my free virgin mojitos? There's a big difference between $425 and about $150 for the week (times three)!

Nothing at all wrong with that. In fact my wife will use her free diamond drinks on shots to add to her frozen drinks covered by her Refreshmemt package.

I believe they charge about $8 or $9 for house brand shots.

My (adult) kids did that. I bought them refreshment packages, they ordered frozen or virgin drinks and then shots. They said a couple of times the bartenders gave them dirty looks or made snarky comments, but otherwise no problem.

We also bought a couple of 375 ml bottles of Vodka from the gift shop. This was a bit less expensive than the shots but not available on all ships (we were on the Allure).

Package has been on sale on most ships, I think bottom line is if you want 4 or more drinks per day get package if less than 4 do not, not sure if you drink wine, but if you do one person can get package and get bottles of wine for 40 or 20 percent off and share with other 2

Package has been on sale on most ships, I think bottom line is if you want 4 or more drinks per day get package if less than 4 do not, not sure if you drink wine, but if you do one person can get package and get bottles of wine for 40 or 20 percent off and share with other 2

Not really wine drinkers. I actually like the package (besides for the price) for the coffee and water as much as the cocktails. At night I might have 2-3 cocktails, so it puts me on the cusp of it being worthwhile or not (although the convenience and no risk of "overspending" on the ship card put it over the edge IMHO).

Not really wine drinkers. I actually like the package (besides for the price) for the coffee and water as much as the cocktails. At night I might have 2-3 cocktails, so it puts me on the cusp of it being worthwhile or not (although the convenience and no risk of "overspending" on the ship card put it over the edge IMHO).

If your refreshment package is on sale for $18 a day, you should buy it. The regular price is $26 per day. The deluxe package goes on sale too, we have had it as low as $44 per day, though I saw one poster who says they got as low as $39 per day but ours has never been that low.

You can always cancel the refreshment package and purchase a deluxe package if it goes on sale for your cruise. The refreshment package seems to go on sale less that the deluxe, at least for my sailings, so don't hesitate or it could go back up.:)

My (adult) kids did that. I bought them refreshment packages, they ordered frozen or virgin drinks and then shots. They said a couple of times the bartenders gave them dirty looks or made snarky comments, but otherwise no problem.

We also bought a couple of 375 ml bottles of Vodka from the gift shop. This was a bit less expensive than the shots but not available on all ships (we were on the Allure).

They let you take bottles of liquor back to your cabin from the gift shop? I didn't think that was allowed.

They let you take bottles of liquor back to your cabin from the gift shop? I didn't think that was allowed.

Any time I've purchased liquor onboard in the shops, it was delivered to my stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

I also question that statement about taking a bottle of vodka to the cabin. I hope that poster comes back and explains it. Wait, is one of the very limited alcohol packages with vodka? I know one is rum. Maybe it was that and not bought in the shop on board.

This is purchased in the gift shop on the cruise planner, prior to the cruise, and delivered to the cabin. It's a 375ml bottle and 4 or 5 cans of soda. They have vodka, scotch, and rum.

Here's a thread about it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2432224&highlight=375%2Bgift

If your refreshment package is on sale for $18 a day, you should buy it. The regular price is $26 per day. The deluxe package goes on sale too, we have had it as low as $44 per day, though I saw one poster who says they got as low as $39 per day but ours has never been that low.

You can always cancel the refreshment package and purchase a deluxe package if it goes on sale for your cruise. The refreshment package seems to go on sale less that the deluxe, at least for my sailings, so don't hesitate or it could go back up.:)

I've read about the random price changes for the deluxe drink package....do you just check the website everyday for a price drop?

I've read about the random price changes for the deluxe drink package....do you just check the website everyday for a price drop?

Yes, go into your cruise planner and check. Also, keep an eye on your rollcall, someone will usually post if they see a sale. Keep an eye on this forum too since people post about sales. 4th of July weekend is usually a big sale time.

So the deluxe booze package talks about unlimited non alcoholic drinks; does the deluxe include a soda package, and if so, do you still get the special soda cups?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the deluxe booze package talks about unlimited non alcoholic drinks; does the deluxe include a soda package, and if so, do you still get the special soda cups?

Thx

Yep- There's the soda package ($9 a day) that gives you the cup and free soda, the Refreshment package is in the middle - You get the cup and soda, but also free premium coffee drinks, bottled water, fresh squeezed juice, and non-alcoholic cocktails. Basically its the booze package without the booze, but given we're not big alcohol drinkers $18 vs $55 a day is huge.

Thx

Yes and yes.

So the deluxe alcoholic package also gets you a soda package---? after rereading my initial post, it (I) may have been confusing?

Correct, and the Refreshment package also gets you a soda package, with special cup.

So the deluxe alcoholic package also gets you a soda package---? after rereading my initial post, it (I) may have been confusing?

It includes soda for the purchaser of the deluxe package. It doesn't give you a separate soda package. Meaning it's only to be used by the one person.

Yep- There's the soda package ($9 a day) that gives you the cup and free soda, the Refreshment package is in the middle - You get the cup and soda, but also free premium coffee drinks, bottled water, fresh squeezed juice, and non-alcoholic cocktails. Basically its the booze package without the booze, but given we're not big alcohol drinkers $18 vs $55 a day is huge.

If you're really only going to have 2-3 shots per day added to your virgin cocktail, then it *may* make sense to go that route.

I don't know what your cruise planner shows, but mine shows a discount of 20% on the deluxe package and 30% on the refreshment package. So the prices are $18/day and $46/day. That works out to about $150 refresh vs $380 deluxe.

If you buy 3 shots per day at $9 + 18% gratuity and add them to your virgin cocktails, you're at about $373 for the week.

So the question becomes, are you more likely to be at 2 per day or 3? If you have the deluxe package would you try something new since it doesn't cost you any extra if you don't like it?

Either way you go the breakdown in cost doesn't *have* to be 'drink all day' like people make it sound when you talk about the Deluxe package. Breaking even would be one afternoon daquiri by the pool, a glass of wine at dinner and one drink to get you through the Cats performance.

Correct, and the Refreshment package also gets you a soda package, with special cup.

We are on the Brilliance, Aug 17, 17. I'm not sure if anyone knows if soda/any of the packages offer seltzer. We don't drink soda but enjoy our carbonated water, not sure if any package is worth it. Certainly the deluxe isn't since we'd probably just have a glass of wine with dinner. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums