Best Affordable Alaska Excursions

sjhanksaz

When are you going? We are considering the same excursion in Skagway, the train and bike. Can you let me know what you thought of it.

We are leaving in September.

Two people who are very experienced cruisers and frequent posters have recently mentioned that they did not care for this - that riding the brakes required their full attention and they could't enjoy the scenery or even the ride. I'm hoping it's just a case of different strokes for different folks, but since you haven't booked yet you might want to look closely for more feedback before you comit.

• 3 weeks later...

We loved the bike ride. The excursion leaders kept the group under 20 miles an hour. There was a lot of breaking we had to do but never felt in danger. The views we awsome and the stops we made were too.

The only excursion we probably would not do again was the river raft. It was really good but the water was really calm and we didn't get close to the glacier. Luckily we had been out to the glacier earlier in the day so that was good. We did paddle out to a chunk of ice from the glacier floating in the lake. I even broke a peice off and ate it.

The float plane was the highlight. Loved it. We booked with a small private company called mountain air service I believe and we got our money's worth. We landed up on a pebble beach and walked around. Saw a lot of bear scat too. The pilot / owner gave some great info on the area too.

We also decided last minute to do the zip line at icy point and thought it was fun and enjoyed the shuttle ride / tour on the way up

Just be careful. You have decided to spend the money to see Alaska. Don't take short cuts on excursions. Especially if you think this will be your only trip.

I would rather cut back at home (limit restaurants, etc..) in order to do the excursions that I want to see in Alaska.

Edited by Coral