Alaska for solo traveller

JARO2304

Hi, I'm thinking of going on a cruise in Alaska possibly September and for the first time I will be travelling solo. Any advice regarding best Cruise lines and solo supplements would be appreciated. I am a 58 year old male.

Edited by JARO2304

Due to its popularity an Alaska Cruise is one of the more expensive even for non-solo travelers. Therefore there really doesn't seem to ever be a break on single supplement fares and expect to pay a 200 % Single Supplement unless your lucky enough to catch a promotion regarding a percentage off for the second passenger as that discount will be applied to the single cost.

FYI I Have done 3 solo cruises to Alaska. Even with booking an inside cabin the total average cost for a 7 day cruise RT Seattle including taxes , port charges and having booked during a promotion where there's a been a discount for the second passenger has been about $1800.00 . You can sometimes get a little better pricing for a northbound or southbound cruise but the cost of the airfare to or from Anchorage may eat up any cost savings. Bottom line... have to decide on a budget that your comfortable with and than see if you can find a cruise that fits that criteria rather than the single supplement percentage being your primary focus.

Alaska cruise season begins Mid May and goes to about the 2nd week in September. May is generally cheaper but also poses the risk of the ice not having broken up to allow the ship to close to Tracy Arms, Hubbard Glacier or even into Glacier bay depending on the Itinerary selected. Sept is generally the second best pricing. Note RCCL and Celebrity are not licensed to go into Glacier Bay.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I've also gone to Alaska, several times, as a solo. Unfortunately you won't find much of a break on the single suppliment 🙁. But oh what a cruise it is! I'm going again in Sept of '17.

Hi, I'm thinking of going on a cruise in Alaska possibly September and for the first time I will be travelling solo. Any advice regarding best Cruise lines and solo supplements would be appreciated. I am a 58 year old male.

Hi Treven

Wish we were buddies...you could get a cabin on Westerdam next month & sail solo with me.

It's my third time cruising to Alaska but first time doing it solo (am a couple years older & female).

As a past guest on Holland I got a pretty good deal in a guaranteed balcony cabin. Less than $1600. It's Seattle-Seattle so air wasn't bad either.

Holland's not my favorite line (don't think food or entertainment is that good) but I can live with it for a balcony at that price.

Hope you go (on a great deal!).

I have sailed solo to Alaska, and again with my sister. No break in price for solo (Princess) but I booked late: 4-5 weeks out with gty inside cabins. Prices were very good. And both times were B2B 7 day cruises, total 14 days. Your roadblock there would be the airfare from Scotland, maybe as much as the cruise fare. Sign up for the email specials from Princess, HAL, etc. EM

I did the Alaska cruise on NCL (Sun) last July---loved it so much I am doing it again this July for 2 weeks(b2b). I really like NCL as a solo traveler because of their solo traveler group that gets together in the evenings for a drink---most times several of us will go to dinner together----Usually have a group dinner at least once or twice each cruise. It is NOT a singles type group---it is just for people traveling solo. Have met some really nice people & always have someone to talk to. Some of us have done excursions together also. Kinda takes that "sting" out of being the third wheel in a group where everyone is paired up

Hi Treven

Wish we were buddies...you could get a cabin on Westerdam next month & sail solo with me.

It's my third time cruising to Alaska but first time doing it solo (am a couple years older & female).

As a past guest on Holland I got a pretty good deal in a guaranteed balcony cabin. Less than $1600. It's Seattle-Seattle so air wasn't bad either.

Holland's not my favorite line (don't think food or entertainment is that good) but I can live with it for a balcony at that price.

Hope you go (on a great deal!).

Ooops! This post should have begun with "Hi JAR02304" ... was logged on with the mobile site and I obviously messed that up. Sorry!

It was in reply to:

Originally Posted by JARO2304 viewpost.gif

Thanks to the posters on Cruise Critic, specifically on the solo board, I was able to get a 7 day rt Princess Alaska cruise from Seattle with a negative supplement...which was a positive for me.:D

It was not a last minute deal, which allowed me time to get a decent air fare.

Suggest you check the Single Supplement thread on the solo board.

Thanks to the posters on Cruise Critic, specifically on the solo board, I was able to get a 7 day rt Princess Alaska cruise from Seattle with a negative supplement...which was a positive for me.:D

It was not a last minute deal, which allowed me time to get a decent air fare.

Suggest you check the Single Supplement thread on the solo board.

How long ago was this? I've looked thru the solo bargain thread back to mid-April and can't find it.

How long ago was this? I've looked thru the solo bargain thread back to mid-April and can't find it.

I booked the cruise early April, so the post was from mid to late March.

Forgot to add, along with the negative supplement there was an obc. :)

Thanks, meadowlander ... I'm just going to have to be more diligent about checking for solo bargains.

When are you sailing?

You are welcome. Had to change vacation weeks at work for the cruise on Ruby Princess July 10. I am amazed at the bargains posted on the solo thread.

You are welcome. Had to change vacation weeks at work for the cruise on Ruby Princess July 10. I am amazed at the bargains posted on the solo thread.

Agree -- there are some that are tempting me to sail to new places!

The Princess Alaska cruise I took had bleu cheese dinner rolls in the MDR...they were unbelievable, so if you get the chance, give 'em a try.

Have had a couple of quotes for Alaska one a 10 day trip with NCL and the other 7 day with Holland America. Like for like costings are similar. Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Have had a couple of quotes for Alaska one a 10 day trip with NCL and the other 7 day with Holland America. Like for like costings are similar. Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

I suggest you post this question on the Holland America board and the Norwegian board for more informed replies. Holland America, along with Princess, has grand fathered cruising rights that the other cruise lines do not have. Holland is more upscale than Norwegian. From what I have read cruises departing from Vancouver are more advantageous than those from Seattle.The extra 3 days on Norwegian at approximately the same cost of HAL is a factor that would influence my decision.

NCL is more casual and more geared to families and people in their mid-fifties. There will be a smattering of elderly onboard, but more young families through couples in their 50's. There are no formal nights. There are free MDR's (2) and the buffet and at least one or two other free restaurants onboard. There are usually 5 specialty restaurants as well. Make reservations in advance.

HAL skews to an older age demographic - 70+. The ships are nice and the cabins are nice. For us, we felt uncomfortable because of the number of elderly people napping in the public lounges. For this reason, we spent a lot of time in our cabin and also struggled at times with table mates at lunch telling long winded stories and demanding we stay at the table when, we needed to go on deck to take photos as the ship sailed out of a port (this AFTER finishing dessert). It just didn't seem like our kind of cruise. Food seemed rather bland, service was good but entertainment not suitable for our age group and just not really our thing overall. I wish we had enjoyed it more as I thought our suite was really nice with the separate tub and shower and double sinks in the bathroom. Sigh...

At any rate, I would choose an Alaska cruise based on whether or not it cruises Glacier Bay as that is one of the most spectacular days you will experience on any cruise ship anywhere in the world.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

HAL skews to an older age demographic - 70+. The ships are nice and the cabins are nice. For us, we felt uncomfortable because of the number of elderly people napping in the public lounges. For this reason, we spent a lot of time in our cabin and also struggled at times with table mates at lunch telling long winded stories and demanding we stay at the table when, we needed to go on deck to take photos as the ship sailed out of a port (this AFTER finishing dessert). It just didn't seem like our kind of cruise. Food seemed rather bland, service was good but entertainment not suitable for our age group and just not really our thing overall. I wish we had enjoyed it more as I thought our suite was really nice with the separate tub and shower and double sinks in the bathroom. Sigh...

For real? 70+ and napping in public areas?

Usually when I go out, I feel like the old fart...I may be one of the "youngins" on Westerdam next Saturday.

Could work to my favor if they do timed scavenger hunts :-]