Live from the Star Princess 5-night Cabo 11/20-25

Pam in CA

Boarded the Star Princess this morning. Check-in didn't start until 11am which is a lot later than I've seen before. The lounge that was exclusively Elite on my two previous cruises earlier this year and was packed to the gills then was for both Platinum and Elite and was less than half full. Boarding didn't start until Noon. My luggage was delivered before 12:30pm.

I made my way to my cabin to drop off my carry-on and then to the Sanctuary. No one was there and I had to wait about ten minutes. When the attendant showed up, he insisted that if you booked for the cruise, you had to pay for five full days, counting embarkation day. I told him that he was nuts that this was a 5-night/4-day cruise. There was no way I should be charged a full day that couldn't be used. I insisted he get his supervisor who eventually showed up. The supervisor insisted that the Sanctuary is always charged for the whole cruise, including embarkation day which counts as a full day. Of course, he was lying as I've never experienced that. After being there for half an hour waiting and then arguing, he finally offered to book specific loungers for my daughter and I and we'll be charged only for the half or full day we use them. So, a heads-up if you plan to book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise.

I had pre-purchased a soda card/sticker and stopped at the Passenger Services Desk to inquire where my Coke cup was and when it would be delivered. Turns out that they are not giving out any Coke cups any more. If you purchase the soda & more package, you get an insulated glass. Another heads-up.

There are over 500 kids onboard. The Captain made remarks just before the Muster procedure and one thing really stood out. I've never heard this before. The Captain said that parents must be aware of where their kids are at all times if they are not in the kids program and that they are fully responsible for the behavior of their children. Wow! YES!

For the first time in several years, I've been invited to the Most Traveled Lunch. Yay! It's Tuesday, the day we sail from Cabo back to LA at 1pm. The lunch is at Noon. Wonder if the Captain will be there!

I'm getting my 50th cruise credit on this cruise. They delivered a beautiful flower arrangement to my cabin. Apparently, I'll get a pin at the MT lunch. The flowers are nice but the rest, big whoop.

Overall impression is that these are not the usual Princess passengers. I've taken several 4-day cruises and they were nothing like this. Board shorts and tank tops in the dining room for dinner, saw a woman far too old (I think she was in her 50's) for this type of clothing wearing tight shorts and a skimpy crocheted bra top. The "girls" were hanging practically to her waist. In an open crochet bra.

Remind me never to book another cabin above Crooners. Waaay too much noise.

Bon Voyage, Pam! So glad you will be taking us on your cruise!

Love the info on attire of the dining room, especially the lady (and I use this term loosely) who decided to regale ya'all with her crochet-ensconced lady-bits over dinner. Wow. Just wow.

I am looking forward to cruising along!

Edited by TracieABD

Boarded the Star Princess this morning. Check-in didn't start until 11am which is a lot later than I've seen before. The lounge that was exclusively Elite on my two previous cruises earlier this year and was packed to the gills then was for both Platinum and Elite and was less than half full. Boarding didn't start until Noon. My luggage was delivered before 12:30pm.

I made my way to my cabin to drop off my carry-on and then to the Sanctuary. No one was there and I had to wait about ten minutes. When the attendant showed up, he insisted that if you booked for the cruise, you had to pay for five full days, counting embarkation day. I told him that he was nuts that this was a 5-night/4-day cruise. There was no way I should be charged a full day that couldn't be used. I insisted he get his supervisor who eventually showed up. The supervisor insisted that the Sanctuary is always charged for the whole cruise, including embarkation day which counts as a full day. Of course, he was lying as I've never experienced that. After being there for half an hour waiting and then arguing, he finally offered to book specific loungers for my daughter and I and we'll be charged only for the half or full day we use them. So, a heads-up if you plan to book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise.

I had pre-purchased a soda card/sticker and stopped at the Passenger Services Desk to inquire where my Coke cup was and when it would be delivered. Turns out that they are not giving out any Coke cups any more. If you purchase the soda & more package, you get an insulated glass. Another heads-up.

There are over 500 kids onboard. The Captain made remarks just before the Muster procedure and one thing really stood out. I've never heard this before. The Captain said that parents must be aware of where their kids are at all times if they are not in the kids program and that they are fully responsible for the behavior of their children. Wow! YES!

For the first time in several years, I've been invited to the Most Traveled Lunch. Yay! It's Tuesday, the day we sail from Cabo back to LA at 1pm. The lunch is at Noon. Wonder if the Captain will be there!

I'm getting my 50th cruise credit on this cruise. They delivered a beautiful flower arrangement to my cabin. Apparently, I'll get a pin at the MT lunch. The flowers are nice but the rest, big whoop.

Overall impression is that these are not the usual Princess passengers. I've taken several 4-day cruises and they were nothing like this. Board shorts and tank tops in the dining room for dinner, saw a woman far too old (I think she was in her 50's) for this type of clothing wearing tight shorts and a skimpy crocheted bra top. The "girls" were hanging practically to her waist. In an open crochet bra.

Bon Voyage! Relax and enjoy! :D

Not good to hear a passenger was wearing the Ocean and Pacific near her waist! :eek:

Brave soul, taking a cruise with 500 kids... have fun.

Pam, Taking this same cruise on the 29th. Due to an auto accident I will be in a wheelchair till early next year, so I hope the number of children next week is greatly reduced. We almost booked the same cruise you are on, but I hope on our cruise I won't have to navigate around so many children as this will be the first time I will actually be out in over a month, and hoping for a relaxing 5 days. Looking forward to your posts as always....

Congratulations on your "50th" Princess cruise! :D Have a wonderful cruise and MTP lunch.

I see your cruising the Pacific Princess on it's celebratory 50th year of cruising also. Hope you'll give us all the news on that cruise too. :D

Congratulations on your "50th" Princess cruise! :D Have a wonderful cruise and MTP lunch.

I see your cruising the Pacific Princess on it's celebratory 50th year of cruising also. Hope you'll give us all the news on that cruise too. :D

It's her 50th cruise credit, not her 50th cruise. There's a difference. I suspect that since she often travels solo (and gets two cruise credits as opposed to one for each cruise) she's got a way to go before the actual 50th cruise. :) (Yes, apparently I am an expert on all things Pam. ;) LOL.)

It's her 50th cruise credit, not her 50th cruise. There's a difference. I suspect that since she often travels solo (and gets two cruise credits as opposed to one for each cruise) she's got a way to go before the actual 50th cruise. :) (Yes, apparently I am an expert on all things Pam. ;) LOL.)

Thanks for the information shredie. :D This upcoming cruise of ours will put us into the Elite level when it ends based on days. Then, thanks to you, I'll start keeping track of actual cruise credits. :D.

Pam: We were on the Star in April to Hawaii. We loved the crew especially a young man in the dining room named Paulo!! He is a head waiter and has a personality that made our dining experience great!! If you get a chance meet him and just say "WOW" (it is his trademark), tell him that people from Pittsburgh, PA think of him often. He was in Portofino dining room. A great young man who really loves his position. Hope you get to meet him.

Enjoy your cruise and congratulations on "50".

Carol

The last several Princess cruises we have been on had a similar announcement during the muster. I do not remember if it mentioned the aware part, but it definitely said parents were responsible for the kids.

Pam: We were on the Star in April to Hawaii. We loved the crew especially a young man in the dining room named Paulo!! He is a head waiter and has a personality that made our dining experience great!! If you get a chance meet him and just say "WOW" (it is his trademark), tell him that people from Pittsburgh, PA think of him often. He was in Portofino dining room. A great young man who really loves his position. Hope you get to meet him.

Enjoy your cruise and congratulations on "50".

Carol

Paulo is a personal friend and is now back home in Portugal enjoying a time away from the ship.. Did he do his "Cat" impression for you?

Boarded the Star Princess this morning.

I just checked the Princess website as we are booked on the Star next April and have pre-ordered the soda package. The website says: Unlimited Soda Package CA$6.73 per person, per day

Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited fountain dispensed soft drinks, including Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water and Soda Water served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise.

Great info, as always, Pam. I especially grateful about the advice about booking over Crooners.

We were just on the Star earlier this month ... on that one where the debarkation was a mess. We, too, had a lot of children onboard -- 250, I believe, but they were behaved so maybe something in the cruise in between ours and yours may have prompted the captain to speak up.

Funny about the 50 year old's clothing ... sometimes I shake my head. Also, that is ridiculous to try to charge you for a whole day upon embarkation in the Sanctuary. Glad to hear you were able to get them to see the light.

Oh... BTW ... we were at the dinner table taking to a fellow guest that was seated with us. Your name came up as we both consistently read your posts. Congrats on the 50th cruise credits mark! Enjoy the most traveled luncheon. I only hope one day we get up to that many on one cruiseline. Alas, we jump around way too much between different lines.