Emerald Princess

islander1763

Hi

I met a large family from Brasil only the youngest spoke English, they had a fair bit of difficulty in communicating to waiters, as such the young lady had to read out the menus and pass on requests to the waiter.

I would expect you will have a similar issue with the daily patter

do not think there is an easy solution,

yours Shogun

Daily activities

Is there a way to get the daily activities for this cruise? I am travelling with a group that doesn't understand English. I would like to surprise my group and not have to waist time translating while on the cruise

Inquire with the Cruise Director's staff. They have an international staff and possibly one of them could translate the major events into one of the languages you require and deliver a printed copy to the cabin. It is worth a try.

For dining you can ask the Head Waiter for some copies of the menus in advance. Then you could go over it with the group, or maybe even have a waiter assigned that speaks the language. There are hours set aside in the afternoon on boarding day for dining inquiries. Go there and speak with the dining staff.

Edited by sknight

Daily activities

Is there a way to get the daily activities for this cruise? I am travelling with a group that doesn't understand English. I would like to surprise my group and not have to waist time translating while on the cruise

Do they speak any Spanish at all? They may have better luck with as they are several wait staff from Mexico and central American. Even some of the waiters from the Philippines speak Spanish. Some of the western European wait staff may speak Portuguese but those are only a handful.

Thank you Shogun, I am fluent in Portuguese and will translate the menu if there is not a Portuguese speaking waiter.

When we were on the Emerald at the beginning of November, one of the Cruise Director Staff was from Rio. If she is still there, she might be able to help with the daily activities.

When we were on the Emerald at the beginning of November, one of the Cruise Director Staff was from Rio. If she is still there, she might be able to help with the daily activities.

The assistant cruise director (from Brazil) .... Her name is Lucy and she had just come on board 11/2! She speaks fluent English. She was very pleasant.

Check with the dining room to see if they have menus in the language your group understands.

Sometimes I have seen Patters in a language other than English. Find out if this will be available on your cruise.

To see sample Patters, go to the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143974