If multiple Princess ships disembark from a port, is it easy to know which is yours?

kac0426

I've had some chaotic boarding experiences in the past. It seems like the port never really has good enough signage to know where to go when you are dropped off by a taxi. If multiple Princess ships are leaving from the same embarkation port, is there an easy way to know which one is yours? And is there a way to know which porter to give your luggage to? Do they have a designated ship they work for or do they collect luggage for all ships and if so, how do you know your bags will end up on the right ship?

I've had some chaotic boarding experiences in the past. It seems like the port never really has good enough signage to know where to go when you are dropped off by a taxi. If multiple Princess ships are leaving from the same embarkation port, is there an easy way to know which one is yours? And is there a way to know which porter to give your luggage to? Do they have a designated ship they work for or do they collect luggage for all ships and if so, how do you know your bags will end up on the right ship?

Usually, the taxi driver will give the name of the ship at the port entry and the guard will know which pier to send him to. When you arrive at the pier, the porters at that ship will take your luggage.

At which port did you have a problem?

Usually, the taxi driver will give the name of the ship at the port entry and the guard will know which pier to send him to. When you arrive at the pier, the porters at that ship will take your luggage.

At which port did you have a problem?

The Manhattan cruise terminal was confusing and chaotic. There was no guard to tell the taxis where to go. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a guard at any port where a taxi has dropped us off. The driver just pulled up to the curb and we got out but had no idea where to go from there. And the porters were collecting luggage all over the place but it was not clear what ship they were collecting luggage for. Or maybe it was clear to other people, but I missed it somehow.

The Manhattan cruise terminal was confusing and chaotic. There was no guard to tell the taxis where to go. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a guard at any port where a taxi has dropped us off. The driver just pulled up to the curb and we got out but had no idea where to go from there. And the porters were collecting luggage all over the place but it was not clear what ship they were collecting luggage for. Or maybe it was clear to other people, but I missed it somehow.

Did you get on the right ship and get your luggage? If your bags were tagged with ship and cabin, then the porters can identify where the luggage goes.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal is different than arriving at a port such as Ft. Lauderdale. It is a couple piers that serve cruise ships only. A port like Ft. Lauderdale handles cargo as well as cruise ships.

Are you preparing another cruise?

Where will you be sailing from? The ships loom over the parking lot in San Pedro. They are their own signage.

That's exactly what I was thinking. :) It's an impressive sight as you drive up. The travel summary you get will tell you which pier/berth, so it's possible to know ahead of time where you need to go.

At Port Everglades there are multiple terminals. The security guards at the port entrances will know the correct terminal plus there are signs once inside the port listing all cruise ships in port that day and their appropriate terminal. The porters are assigned to individual terminals so no mixing of luggage. For more info see http://www.porteverglades.net.

Thank you for the replies.

We are going out of Ft. Lauderdale.

We did get our bags and got on the right ship in Manhattan (last year) but I was never confident in where I was going or who I was giving my bags to, and I'd like to go into my next cruise feeling more confident.

Was this on another cruise line? Princess uses the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Red Hook.

We did get our bags and got on the right ship in Manhattan (last year) but I was never confident in where I was going or who I was giving my bags to, and I'd like to go into my next cruise feeling more confident.

For most of the Port Everglades departures, Princess uses Terminal 2. If more than one Princess ship is in port on the same day one is berthed at Terminal 2 and the other one is at another terminal. Port Everglades is clearly marked.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If you do happen to get on the wrong ship make sure its a longer cruise then the one you are on. ;)

Will try for the longer cruise! Don't know how you would get through the security at boarding though. Saying this I once saw a lady having a ding dong argument with security in San Fran on a port stop. She was trying to get onto a Celebrity ship, but she was a passenger from another line. That big X wasn't obvious to her or she just liked this one better than her own.

Port Everglades is well marked and if you just give the taxi driver the name of the ship you will be taken directly to it.

Mike:)

I can oly tell you of my experinces in ft Lauderdale. Both the port and the slip were clearly marked. Our taxi driver had no problem finding the correct ship. The two ships were dock at opposites end of the port. Our party had no problem finding the ship or getting our luggage.

We did hear of issues of luggage being mishandled . I don't know if they were on a princess tour or a princess transfer from the air port , but their luggage was sent to the wrong ship and took a few days to catch up with them.

You wont encounter any issues find your ship ( after all its does say it right on the side and stern ) but be mind full that luggage is handled correctly.

Cheers