Are top sheets REALLY not the norm?

Gracie115

On the Regal on the Nov 3rd sailing we were in a mini suite.....there was no top sheet on the bed.....which I found very odd......is this normal for Princess ships? This was our 1st Princess cruise...have cruised on several other lines and top sheets were always on the bed until now...... so did they just "forget" ours...or is this normal on Princess?

On the Regal on the Nov 3rd sailing we were in a mini suite.....there was no top sheet on the bed.....which I found very odd......is this normal for Princess ships? This was our 1st Princess cruise...have cruised on several other lines and top sheets were always on the bed until now...... so did they just "forget" ours...or is this normal on Princess?

Its the norm. The duvet is now what is on the beds. You can ask the room steward for a top sheet. You may or may not get it.

It is the norm. You no longer have a sheet, blanket and/or a bedspread. Instead you have a duvet, which is a sheet combined with a comforter. This is not unusual in Europe, but if it bothers you, just ask for an extra sheet so you can feel like the duvet is more of a bedspread.

Never been turned down.

Star Hawaii cruise two years ago. Got a top sheet until midway through the cruise. The room steward's supervisor put a nix on it. We would have followed up as to why, but, decided to just let it go. The duvet cover was clean and newly changed and that was fine by us.

You really do get used to it. My ex spent some childhood years in Denmark and never used a top sheet. It is much easier to make the bed because the doona or duvet is top sheet, blanket, and bedspread all in one. My kids started making their beds when they were fairly young since they only had to deal with one item.

As long as the duvet has a high thread count its fine with me.

You really do get used to it. My ex spent some childhood years in Denmark and never used a top sheet. It is much easier to make the bed because the doona or duvet is top sheet, blanket, and bedspread all in one. My kids started making their beds when they were fairly young since they only had to deal with one item.

As long as the duvet has a high thread count its fine with me.

My kids grew up in Europe and we always used duvets because they were so much easier for them to make their beds. We still have 4 from when they were young that we pull out when guests stay on our futons. No one has ever complained :D. They have never bothered us on Princess and as others have said, they are very common in European hotels - we stayed in a Hilton and Waldorf Astoria this summer that had them and we didn't think twice about it.

The problem with the duvet is that it's much too hot for me...usually kick it off and only use a sheet, though DH will often leave it on. Then I'm sometimes cold! Some of the duvets (can't be sure if it was Princess or another line) are also very heavy - can't bear the weight on me all night. Then there's the problem of what to do with it if you kick it off entirely - floor? Otherwise I have to fold it or roll in a ball on the sofa or chair. I truly hate them, would much rather have a sheet and very lightweight blanket. I can't remember ever having a duvet in an American hotel without a top sheet, and it's definitely something I would notice.

Edited by Kartgv

Tres Euro! The duvet cover is the top sheet and laundered regularly. Try a Sofitel hotel (e.g., at high season $500/night in NYC) and you'll find the same thing.

We find the Duvet light enough that we don't need a top sheet. Too light sometimes .

Thanks for all the responses..... Not sure about all the references to European bedding...have been to Europe several times and in every case, from 100 year old hotels to the most modern always had a top sheet....

The duvet is too hot for us many nights...especially on a warm weather cruise....next time we will ask for a top sheet.....I had no idea this was standard on Princess cruises....

Never had a problem asking for a top sheet. Which brings me to my favorite " failure to communicate story". The Steward must have been new, so when I asked him for a top sheet, he put it on top of the quilt. I just explained the next morning and all was well. :D

I too find the duvet just too hot for me at night. On our last cruise (Crown Princess, Oct 2015) I asked our room steward for a top sheet. That is what I got. He handed me a top sheet and left. Never put it on the bed but left me to do it. He was not a new steward either as he said this was his 9 ship. That started the cruise and it went downhill from there. Some days we got two towels, some days one, some days none. It was the same for glasses. I felt I had to hoard towels and glasses so I could shower or have a cold drink when I wanted. Asking for more laundry bags was another story.

The problem with the duvet is that it's much too hot for me...usually kick it off and only use a sheet, though DH will often leave it on. Then I'm sometimes cold! Some of the duvets (can't be sure if it was Princess or another line) are also very heavy - can't bear the weight on me all night. Then there's the problem of what to do with it if you kick it off entirely - floor? Otherwise I have to fold it or roll in a ball on the sofa or chair. I truly hate them, would much rather have a sheet and very lightweight blanket. I can't remember ever having a duvet in an American hotel without a top sheet, and it's definitely something I would notice.

I agree totally. Duvets have never been o.k. with us. They are of different weights and difficult to maneuver. One of the first things we do is ask for two blankets and if no sheet, a sheet. In fact, when I make reservations at B and B's or hotels, I ask about bed coverings and if blankets can be substituted for duvets. If not, we don't reserve there.

Don't mind a duvet as long as the comforter inside isn't lumpy.

The laundry on the Crown didn't dry my comforter correctly, the filling was in the lower corner of all the baffles. It was so lumpy that the lumps showed thru the luggage mat at boarding.

Don't mind a duvet as long as the comforter inside isn't lumpy.

The laundry on the Crown didn't dry my comforter correctly, the filling was in the lower corner of all the baffles. It was so lumpy that the lumps showed thru the luggage mat at boarding.

At least you knew it was clean! :D

Seriously, I would have ask for another one.

LuLu

I don't understand why so many people won't ask for things that will improve their cruise (like a top sheet) the worst that can happen is they say no.

Honestly they don't make you walk the plank for asking for little things.