Gunmen rob tourists on Amazon riverboat cruise

G.M.T.

For us, that's the whole point of doing the Peruvian Amazon on a small expedition-style ship. No interest particularly in cruising up to Manaus.

I can understand that, as I said if the alternative was not to go to the Amazon at all then I'd say go. But as long as you can figure out a way to do it on one of the smaller expedition ships then that is of course preferable...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278213&highlight=amazon+discovery

Wendy,

this is a quick review that I did for the trip. We did not go very far into the park. Biggest disappointment was lack of "natural" animal sightings. We were there in October early November so perhaps during a wetter season the animals would be more abundant. We had a terrific time. We went for the Amazon portion of the trip but absolutely were more impressed with Machu Picchu and the sacred valley. Have you been to the Galapagos......it a great trip with loads of nature. We went with Celebrity many years ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278213&highlight=amazon+discovery

Wendy,

this is a quick review that I did for the trip. We did not go very far into the park. Biggest disappointment was lack of "natural" animal sightings. We were there in October early November so perhaps during a wetter season the animals would be more abundant. We had a terrific time. We went for the Amazon portion of the trip but absolutely were more impressed with Machu Picchu and the sacred valley. Have you been to the Galapagos......it a great trip with loads of nature. We went with Celebrity many years ago.

Thanks, that's great. February is definitely wet season. Animals and wildlife are nice, but just being deep in the jungle is a thrill too. And I think the smaller (more expensive) boats do just that, including the Delfin boats.

Yes, the altitude is something we are avoiding assiduously. No Andes for us, or even Quito when we get up to Ecuador. Sounds like you enjoyed the Amazon regardless. Did you get yellow fever shots? Ours just lapsed after 10 years and I don't like the idea of doing that all over again.

Do you remember the name of your private guide in Lima? I think I'm going to go back over the info about the Galapagos. I do worry about mobility there, clambering over volcanic rocks, etc. That's one reason the wet season in the Amazon is appealing--mostly boat rides, not much hiking.

Our guide in Lima was OK not great as compared to guides we have had in other countries.......would not recommend.

Our yellow fever was still OK from an African trip.

...Yes, the altitude is something we are avoiding assiduously. No Andes for us, or even Quito when we get up to Ecuador. Sounds like you enjoyed the Amazon regardless. Did you get yellow fever shots? Ours just lapsed after 10 years and I don't like the idea of doing that all over again.

...I think I'm going to go back over the info about the Galapagos. I do worry about mobility there, clambering over volcanic rocks, etc. That's one reason the wet season in the Amazon is appealing--mostly boat rides, not much hiking.

Neither Peru nor Brazil requires YF vaccination - they already have YF and it is not their problem if you get it. CDC definitely recommends YF vaccination for Amazonia, but the 10 years is an arbitrary time to get it renewed; you SHOULD still have significant immunity if you have be previously vacinated. CDC now says "For most travelers, a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and a booster dose of the vaccine is not needed." Some countries without YF do require re-vacination if you are coming from YF areas.

Altitude sickness was extremely rare before modern transportation; in years past you could not change altitude fast enough for this to be a problem. The first time I went to Machu Picchu I had started in Santa Cruz, Bolivia (less than 1,400 feet elevation) and slowly went to La Paz, Lake Titicaca and some surrounding areas as high as 15,000 feet. but I stopped off at medium altitude for some days along the way and had no issues. By the time I got to Cuzco I had come down over 3000 feet and yet another 2000 to MP. The second time I went I flew to Cuzco (which is what most tourists do) and definitely was feeling effects.

I did the Galapagos with Celebrity Xpedition, and while there were a few rough trail patches, they stopped quite often for animal sightings, and they always offered easier walks. The area where some folks had the most difficulty was entering and exiting the zodiacs, given that most places had no docks and you had to be able (with assistance) to get into the zodiac while standing in several feet of water. The boat itself NEVER docked; your luggage and you went on and off by zodiac.

These are all great trips, but realistic evaluation of your capabilities is highly recommended before investing time and money.

Thom

Some countries without YF do require re-vacination if you are coming from YF areas.

That was also the reason why we had to get YF vaccination in the first place.

As we were starting and ending our Amazon trip in Barbados, the YF vaccination requirement came from there, not Brazil.

That was also the reason why we had to get YF vaccination in the first place.

As we were starting and ending our Amazon trip in Barbados, the YF vaccination requirement came from there, not Brazil.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but while I agree with you that the legal reasons to get YF comes from third party countries, the MAIN reason I got vaccinated against YF was to keep ME from getting YF. Most persons on this thread considering a river boat on the Peruvian Amazon will probably fly directly from/to the US and have no legal requirement to be vaccinated; IMO they should consider vaccination to be in their self-interest. CDC actually recommends against re-vaccination unless there is a legal requirement, so I do not think re-vaccination is in one's self-interest (I have had YF vaccination twice for legal reasons, but am now beyond 10 years since my last one in 2003).

Thom

Malaria is my biggest concern. Although prophylaxis is not always recommended by cruise lines, we generally take it if the CDC suggests that it may be endemic to the area. Fortunately have never had side effects from Malarone. Our primary doctor always suggests it as Malaria is a tough thing to deal with for many years.

Malaria is my biggest concern. Although prophylaxis is not always recommended by cruise lines, we generally take it if the CDC suggests that it may be endemic to the area. Fortunately have never had side effects from Malarone. Our primary doctor always suggests it as Malaria is a tough thing to deal with for many years.
Mosquitoes are responsible for more human fatalities than any other animal. CDC quotes 627,000 deaths from malaria (and there are other fatal mosquito borne diseases) in 2012, CDC further notes "The most vulnerable are persons with no or little immunity against the disease...the most vulnerable groups are:...Travelers...coming from areas with little or no malaria transmission, who lack immunity."

Thom

We were four of the Australians on the Amazon Discover during the 'hijacking' by the pirates.

DO NOT TRAVEL ON THE AMAZON RIVER - this is a KNOWN drug trafficking route, the pirates were KNOWN by the police and tour boat company. The river in the Amazon is over 6,000 km long, with only 26 local police to patrol the area (not that you would really depend on them. It took over 4 hours for any police to find us.

This was a planned inside job!!! We were woken up at 3.30am in the morning with a banging on the door - my husband went to answer the door, to have a gun put to his forehead to open the door. Our safe was already open (unknown to us). The night before, they had done a half attempt at a 'turn down service' - they must have checked everything out and also unlocked safes. They took everything. $20,000 is a joke - more like about $250,00 in total for all passengers - if you think about electronics, cash, jewellery etc. As my mother-in-law has bad arthritis, they even considered cutting or breaking her fingers to get the rings off - only due to time, they didn't. After the first entrance of the gunned robber (face covered with a mask and plasters on his finger tips), the cruise director came in with the robber, she was also on her phone. She was communicating openly (not under duress) with the robber - she did not see my husband and I huddled in the bed. After the incident, I told her what I saw - she threatened me, that if I said anything further, that I would be reported to the local police - trust me, they are not an authority, that you would like to spend time with.

The company is trying to play down the gravity of the situation so that you will still think it is safe to travel.

There was no security, no emergency preparedness, no response, no recovery procedures in place. No senior crew member no captain took control after the incident. There was no emergency flares, no UHF radios, no satellite phones, no communication, no co-ordination, NO NOTHING. We floated from about 4.30am - 9.30am with no assistance, no police - NOTHING????

Where you have poverty, corruption and drugs - there is NO tour company or cruise boat operator that can guarantee your safety/security 100%. There are lots of articles on this incident, some below. If you still with to continue and play Russian Roulette with your life - good luck!!!!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/07/articles/fires-1/fire-bandits-plague-amazon-river-cruises-in-peru/

http://perureports.com/2016/07/15/armed-gang-robs-cruise-ship-perus-amazon/

sorry to read about your ordeal. I have previously read the 2 articles you linked. as the armed robbery went so well for the offenders I wonder if this will be repeated?

we are potentially vulnerable when travelling anywhere but more so in remote areas with little or no functioning law/order. of course there is the expectation that duty of care will apply and that maybe the case, but little help when being confronted by incidents such as you experienced.

thank you for your report it will no doubt assist others when considering their travel options. take care.

Wow Pelago - so sorry you had to go through that! For some reason CC is not quoting your post - it does that sometimes and I have no idea why.

Anyway - that had to be a horrible experience! Much as there are some things and places I'd like to see, I don't think I'd take a chance on some of the cruise itineraries. I'm adventurous to a point, but I like to only take calculated risks.

I hope any cruise lines that are still doing the Amazon make sure this doesn't happen again.

Holy Cow!!! Your account is truly frightening!!! I could actually feel your fear. :eek

First of all, so thankful that you and your family and all the other passengers are ok. I really feel for your MIL...what a terrifying ordeal for all of you.

Second: Amazon is off the bucket list. I'll tour it on line.

Thank God everyone is ok...and thank YOU for taking the time to warn everyone.

What a frightening experience! I am sorry that you had to go through this attack on the river boat in Peru. Just awful!

Some geographical detail. Oceangoing ships with up to 700 passenger capacity go up the Amazon to the Brazilian city of Manaus. They never dock in any remote areas. As far as I know , none of them has ever been attacked. However, it is not a good idea to wear expensive jewelry anywhere in South America. Even a modest gold necklace is a lure for people who have nothing.

In addition to the oceangoing ships, river cruises further up in the Amazon basin have been marketed to well-to-do passengers. Several companies cruise on the Peruvian section of the Solimoes River as the Brazilians call the Amazon upstream from Manaus. Passengers fly into Iquitos, Peru. I was not aware that the river cruises near Iquitos have become the target of attacks.

We chose the Napo River in Ecuador, another tributary of the Amazon River because it offers better wildlife viewing and a parrot lick. No attacks there.

Wow Pelago - so sorry you had to go through that! For some reason CC is not quoting your post - it does that sometimes and I have no idea why.

Anyway - that had to be a horrible experience! Much as there are some things and places I'd like to see, I don't think I'd take a chance on some of the cruise itineraries. I'm adventurous to a point, but I like to only take calculated risks.

I hope any cruise lines that are still doing the Amazon make sure this doesn't happen again.

Pelago also started a thread with this account of the robbery. Truly frightening...I'm with you...I'll tour the Amazon on line. It won't be the same, but I don't need that kind of thrilling at this point in my life. Interestingly, when we did Egypt in 2009 we sailed on the Nile and Lake Nasser. The Nile was fine but apparently Lake Nasser had similar problems as the Amazon is having now. We had two armed guards visible at all times in the bow and the stern AND the ships traveled the Lake in pairs at all times. In areas of extreme poverty it is not good to flaunt your jewelry and your wealth and companies marketing these trips have an obligation to provide protection for their passengers.

For those who want to avoid the Peruvian river cruises where the awful attack occurred and still want a small river cruise experience in the Amazon basin, two luxurious river boats cruise on the Napo river in Ecuador. The Napo is a tributary of the Amazon.

I consider myself a well traveled tourist and have worked and traveled around Africa (as high risk as you can get). I always try to do my research and feel bad that on this occasion, this extreme situation occurred. We were put in a situation that key stakeholders knew about the risk and did not put contingency measures in place.

In relation to expensive items - cameras, phone (for emergency), ipad (for scrabble), video camera (memories) - it all adds up...we were not wearing the crown jewels? Our safe had been already opened, ready for the hijacking?

Thanks for feedback - I am just trying to provide people with as much information as possible, so that prospective guests make an informed decision. I don't think anything will change and will it happen again - I think so...just look at the research on the trends of these pirates.

It really doesn't matter how many armed guards you put on board? There will always be more of them. The information on the web stated 8 pirates but my discussions with the crew - there were 10. The crew also told me that they were all locked downstairs in the hold in a cage.

Also as stated in another reply - we were not flaunting our jewellery? Items such as cameras, phone, ipad and video player all mount up? What is the point of having a safe, when it has already been opened the night before, ready for the robbery?

Would I travel anywhere on the river, in the Amazon ie. Brazil, Ecuador - no! Unfortunately, you are a floating target in poverty stricken areas. The ironic thing was that my husband and I, the night before was talking about the film, Captain Philips (with Tom Hanks), with the Somali pirates - apart from a different country - it was EXACTLY like that!