Cinque Terre, Italian Riviera or bust!

sockmonkeys

From the Port of call of Livorno, Italy, seeking advice on most efficient/timewise and cost for Italian Riviera experience. Already visited Pisa and Florence.

Cheers

Cinque Terre from Livorno is a long day and long way. Its best done on a Princess excursion for the safety of knowing they will get you back to the ship.

You can do the train on your own but personally I would not take the chance.

You could set up a private tour guide with a tour company such as Rome in Limo.

Cinque Terre from Livorno is a long day and long way. Its best done on a Princess excursion for the safety of knowing they will get you back to the ship.

You can do the train on your own but personally I would not take the chance.

You could set up a private tour guide with a tour company such as Rome in Limo.

Agree totally. You will find lots of info on the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

The Mods might even move it over there...

We did it from Livorno using Rome in limo. Amazing day and they provided a guide while in cinque terre for us. It was a wonderful trip. Rome in limo are so aware of the times you have to return to the ship. Have used them many times over the years and will do again in the future

Terry

Well in advance of the cruise, using an Italian friend/travel consultant, we hired a car and driver in Livorno to pick us up at the port, drop us off at Vernazza, and then pick us up in Riomaggiore to take us back to the ship. That way, we got to see what we wanted on our own schedule and we weren't rushed. We also got to stop at one of the great local wineries that would have have too far out of town to walk to. We walked the lovely trails or took the train between the towns. It wasn't cheap, but it maximized what we got out of the day.

I second "Colo Cruiser's" recommendation to go with a Princess excursion. We did Cinque Terre on our June 2014 Grand Med cruise and had significant train troubles (along with thunderstorms!). More than an hour delay since the train broke down. If we were on our own I would have been very worried about making it back to the ship on time.

The alternative would be a private "Rome In Limo" tour since they could get you back without relying on mass transit. We did RIL for our Rome stop and it was nice.

Just have to throw this in: going to Italy, you lucky dog! :)

From the Port of call of Livorno, Italy, seeking advice on most efficient/timewise and cost for Italian Riviera experience. Already visited Pisa and Florence.

[Just to pop-comment in and out....] I'm more independent and optimistic than most so I say GO FOR IT!

We'd already visited the major Tuscan towns too so rented a car off the Emerald from Livorno last Summer and drove to and visited Lucca and San Gimignano (we thought we'd be pressing things going to include Volterra). You just have to plan efficiently. Otherwise, grab some Lewis & Clark adventure and drive to the Cinque Terra. What the worst that can happen? You miss the boat and then get to overnight it anyplace you'd like until you reconnect in Civitavecchia (the Rome port) the next day with a great story to tell. Spend your life worrying and make your own fun!

Cheers

We did the tour in May with the Emerald Princess. Because we had not been to Pisa, we took the tour out of Genoa, a Princess excursion It involved a bus ride, a very pleasant hike up and down some village hills, a boat ride to a simply gorgeous village for lunch and piddling around, a train ride to yet another location where we met up with our bus. We felt it was a worthwhile experience. It took the entire day, and the guide was adequate.

If you want specifics, email me at rrice319atgmaildotcom.