Hawaii Crossing 5th Oct.

UK Cruiser2

Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect on our crossing from L.A. to Hawaii at this time of year ? I don't mind high seas but I was hoping for some sunshine :(

October is our favorite time to cruise to Hawaii. You have warm weather all the way, not the typical cold first two days out of LA like in the Spring.

Edited by BarbaraP

October is our favorite time to cruise to Hawaii. You have warm weather all the way, not the typical cold first two days out of LA like in the Spring.

Thanks,that sounds nice. We have flights from the UK,4 days in Vegas,then Crown Princess for 15 nights around Hawaii,finishing off with 2 nights L.A. before our flight back to the UK.

We went to Hawaii at the end of September out of san Francisco and the first day was a little cool but warmed up very nice...We had such a great time, we are booked for October 29 2017 for Hawaii on the Grand. Really looking forward to it. Have a wonderful time.

Both Vegas and LA might be cool at night. Being desert we have temperature swings. Not unusual to have a 30F to 40F shift between night and day.

Bring a light jacket. There always seem to be cooler areas inside the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, in Los Angeles it can be darned hot on Oct. 5--primo time of the year for Santa Ana winds. (I can't speak for L.V.) San Pedro will be comfortable, but I'd be willing to make a large bet that Oct. 5 will be sunny. It seems that the last few years, here, it really hasn't cooled off until well into November.

Trans Pacific should be pleasant, but, as always, there are no guarantees.

Bon voyage.

Live all but 18 months of my life in Los Angeles County. October could be very warm in LA, but could also have some cool (relatively, I know, compare to the midwest) days.

We cruised to Hawaii from here three times, all during the holiday time, and each time the weather -- before the cruise, on the way to Hawaii, and the way back had some differences. Same for the sea conditions.

but most likely, you'll get a few cool days on the way, with the temperature warming as you get close to the islands. Sea conditions don't seem to be related to the time of year, though.

The problem is that everyone can tell you what they experienced in regard to weather on past cruises. No one, however, can tell you what it will be like when you travel.

We've sailed back and forth to Hawaii numerous times. The good news is that for the most part the weather has been good. The bad news is that it also can be very rough, foggy, cool and pouring rain. Our sailings have been in March, April, September, October and November.

If the weather does turn out poorly there are lots of activities on board to enjoy.

Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect on our crossing from L.A. to Hawaii at this time of year ? I don't mind high seas but I was hoping for some sunshine :(

We went in Oct and had very rough seas and very strong winds the 1st 2 days going and coming, they had to close the pool decks.

I live in Los Angeles and the two best months to visit Los Angeles are October and April. We can have some very nice and warm thru the end of October. The chance of rain is very minimal. Now, for the bad new. Active tropical storms and hurricanes in the Pacific are highly probability from July thru end of November so yes there is always probability of rough seas. Most tropical storms by pass Hawaii, but you never know. But I'm pretty confident you'll have nice sunny weather in October. As you get closer to Hawaii and weather gets warmer and humid.

We went in Oct and most days the sea was totally calm. I'd get up every morning to do 5 miles of laps around the deck and I was amazed at how calm the sea was. We are water skiers and the term we use is the water was like glass. It was so smooth I kind of found it eerie. Hard to believe we were in the middle of the ocean.

We went in Oct and most days the sea was totally calm. I'd get up every morning to do 5 miles of laps around the deck and I was amazed at how calm the sea was. We are water skiers and the term we use is the water was like glass. It was so smooth I kind of found it eerie. Hard to believe we were in the middle of the ocean.

I've told this story in the past, but, what the heck, I'll tell it again.

Our first L.A.-HI-L.A. cruise was in October 2011. We had a wonderful time, but my wife was disappointed that we saw no rough seas. (I guess she is what can be described as a "foul weather" sailor.) On the return portion of the trip, we hit days of glassy smooth seas--just like you described, Oma. Once again Mrs. XBGuy expressed her disappointment. Now, I admit to being a smarty-pants, and I, once again, demonstrated it in my response to her:

That's why they call it the PACIFIC Ocean--"Pacific" means "peaceful."

Fast forward to our second L.A.-HI-L.A. cruise in January 2013. The day before departure I received an e-mail from Princess stating that bad weather had delayed the ship on it's return leg (same itinerary). So, they did not want people to come to the port before 2:30 pm. As it turned out, when I pulled myself out of bed, that day, I checked the web cam (it was the Golden). There was the Vincent Thomas bridge. Obviously, it made it to port pretty close the scheduled time, and we stuck to our original boarding schedule. On the outbound leg we sailed more northerly than normal to avoid the storm, but, again, it was almost a non-event for us. Talking to the waiters in the restaurants, it sounded like it was a pretty big storm that they hit on the previous cruise. Apparently, pouring coffee into cups, or wine into glasses was pretty hilarious.

So, as has been posted over and over, you just never know. Past experiences should not shape expectations.

If I were a betting person, I'd bet a lot of money on at least 8 warm days for you. We've done this trip twice in November and had some cooler weather but it's quite warm in LA in early October. I think this is why this particular sailing is a bit more expensive then the later sailings.

The way this season seems to be shaping up ... I wouldn't be surprised if there is a late season storm or two similar to 2014.

Meanwhile, the forecast is for 17 named storms, nine hurricanes, and four major hurricanes are expected, which is near the 30-year average

You can follow them here:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pacific_hurricane_season

800px-2016_Pacific_hurricane_season_summary_map.png

Edited by MauiLvrs

I guess temp is a personal thing as it depends from where you're coming from.

Example, we sailed out of San Diego back in Oct '12. We got there a few days early and the temps were in the mid to high 70s/low 80s; to us it was BROILING as we were coming from PA and the temps there were in the mid 50s. We were in shorts and tank tops while the locals were not.

Here's what last year was doing for Los Angeles

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/los-angeles/historic?month=10&year=2015

Have a great cruise!

OP, I too will be on the Crown crossing from LA on Oct. 5th with da hubby. :D

As you can see, I'm from Arizona. We have lived in the LA area previously and its usually in the 70's to 80's that time of year.

As others have stated, you can only guess what Mother Nature has planned for our voyage. I myself will be taking both pants and shorts..

On our last Hawaii turn around cruise from LA, the weather in April was cool and we had to bundle up to go watch MUTS in the evening. The pools were closed part of the time as it was a bit rocky a few days...Loved it!! :D

Enjoy!! I know we will be.

What to do on a 15 day cruise with lots of sea days? Anything your little heart wants to do :) We love sea days!

OP, I too will be on the Crown crossing from LA on Oct. 5th with da hubby. :D

As you can see, I'm from Arizona. We have lived in the LA area previously and its usually in the 70's to 80's that time of year.

As others have stated, you can only guess what Mother Nature has planned for our voyage. I myself will be taking both pants and shorts..

On our last Hawaii turn around cruise from LA, the weather in April was cool and we had to bundle up to go watch MUTS in the evening. The pools were closed part of the time as it was a bit rocky a few days...Loved it!! :D

Enjoy!! I know we will be.

What to do on a 15 day cruise with lots of sea days? Anything your little heart wants to do :) We love sea days!

Greenie082756

You should stop by and visit our thread for AZ cruisers. We are a bunch of folks from all over the state that love cruising! We get together about once every 3-4 months and talk about our cruises. Sometimes we even cruise together. There are a bunch of us cruising CA coastal this Oct together, and a bunch are cruising Europe next year.

Our next get together is next weekend at Lucille's in Tempe Marketplace. I think they have over 30 people going to lunch. (I can't make it [emoji20], I'll be in CA for family birthdays).

Hope you stop by the thread and introduce yourself.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276408&page=87

This is the main thread were we visit. But we have other threads were we list cruises everyone is on. You might have a Zonie joining you on your next cruise!

Enjoy Hawaii. I loved that cruise!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, if I a may ask: what does one do on their four day crossing; both over and back to Hawaii. I have never been on a cruise that has that much ship time. Thanks.

I couldn't believe all the ship activities I participated in! I was non stop involved in the activities. My DH on the other hand preferred to spend his time reading and relaxing.

If you are on Princess you will be amazed at the learning opportunities you will have. I learned so much about the Hawaiian culture. Not sure about other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, if I a may ask: what does one do on their four day crossing; both over and back to Hawaii. I have never been on a cruise that has that much ship time. Thanks.

The CD will have plenty to do, speakers, activities and such. The line is very aware that they need to up the entertainment ante in some way during multiple sea days.

If nothing else, there is always MUTS.

AF-1, On our Grand March 4, 2016 Hawaiian Cruise, the following was offered. Lots of entertainments, like Princess Production shows were "Do You Want To Dance", "Stardust", "British Invasion" and "Motor City". There were magician, vocalists, comedians, ventriloquist and show headliner Three Guys-Motown Music. Movies like The Interns, Creed, Martian, Brooklyn, The Walk, Self/Less, Trumbo, Joy, Bridge of Spies and many more. Dance classes were Zumba, Line Dance, Ballroom Dances, Tai Chai, Flash Mob Dancing/Singing and Hula Dancing. Passengers Talent Show, Crew Talent Show and Local Hawaiian Halau Hula Show and Passengers Hawaiian Hula Recital/Ukulele Playing. There were Destination Presentations, Naturalist Lectures and many Demonstrations, like vegetable/fruit carving, pasta wars, Marzipan uses, ice carving, towel folding, rum testing, martini making/tasting, two kinds of Hawaiian Lei Making, chocolate making, Galley tour, and meet the Princess Cast and Dancers. Live music played by Tempo Quatro, Son of Mexico, Static Band, Princess Jazz Band, Funch/Singer-Pianist, Igor-Clasic Pianist, Nicholas-Pianist, Ivo-Guitarist, Disco DJ Kiki and Makani 'E (Hawaiian music).

Over 20 passenger participation games, and very popular was the Dicey Wooden Horse Racing, Paper Air Plane Folding/Flying, and the Great Egg Drop. Themed dance nights were Country Western, Love Boat Disco Party and 50's & 60's Rock & Roll Party. Passenger Group Get Togethers were for Service Clubs, Knitter/Natters, Aviators, Bridge Card/Mahjong Players, LBGT, Twins and Veteran/Military. And then there were those who wanted just to read a good book. Lots to do......

Edited by Gimer

AF-1, I forgot to add the Ultimate Ships Tour. It cost $150.00 for about 3 1/2 hours tour of the ship. To me, it was worth every penny. And that evening, they will deliver to your stateroom and Princess Robe, five 8x10 photos of the tour, one 8x10 picture frame, a two tone blue Chef's apron and a 50 sheets custom Note Pad with your name imprinted under the Princess Logo. And finally, twice daily in different locations they offer the "Buy One and Get One for $1.00" drinks. The Bars were always crowded, standing room only.........

The problem is that everyone can tell you what they experienced in regard to weather on past cruises. No one, however, can tell you what it will be like when you travel.

We've sailed back and forth to Hawaii numerous times. The good news is that for the most part the weather has been good. The bad news is that it also can be very rough, foggy, cool and pouring rain. Our sailings have been in March, April, September, October and November.

If the weather does turn out poorly there are lots of activities on board to enjoy.

Yes, weather nowadays are unpredictable.

I couldn't believe all the ship activities I participated in! I was non stop involved in the activities. My DH on the other hand preferred to spend his time reading and relaxing.

If you are on Princess you will be amazed at the learning opportunities you will have. I learned so much about the Hawaiian culture. Not sure about other lines.

Since developing the Aloha Spirit program, there are many activities geared towards a more Hawaiian experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50648494&posted=1#post50648494

IMMERSE YOURSELF IN ALL THINGS HAWAII

Our exclusive "Aloha Spirit" program brings the sights and sounds of Hawaii to life on board with a wide variety of island-infused entertainment and enrichment programs, including:

Hawaiian Ambassadors on board every sailing

Lei-making workshops

Ukulele playing, and Hula dance lessons

Polynesian language classes

A special Grand Hawaiian Farewell Luau, where guests show off their new Hawaii-inspired talents

The Halau Hula Olana Folkloric Show — a Princess guest favorite

Hawaiian musicians, naturalists, and entertainers

The historic King Kamehameha Festival celebrated on board, as part of our Festivals of the World program