Six Things to Know about River Cruising in Russia Right Now

Host Jazzbeau

Very interesting....I still count Russia with Ukraine pre-trip to be one of the best trips ever. I consider myself well-educated, but I was totally blown away by the warmth and curiosity of the people and by the beautiful colors and landscape. As a product of the Cold War Era, I was expecting everything to be drab and functional but it wasn't. I'm so glad I went when I did and I really feel for the people now.

I agree totally with hydrokitty - one of the best trips ever! We went on Uniworld' St Petersburg to Moscow trip in 2012. Stopped in St Petersburg again this year as one of the stops on the maiden cruise of the Viking Star. Could go again and again and still see new sights. We didn't notice a drop in crowds at all - what drop of volume of European and North American tourists has been more than picked up by Asian tourists. And I agree with the article, the land prices have been adjusted to the devalued ruble, so we didn't find many bargains. But if I won a trip in a lottery, I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to do a Russian river cruise in 2017.

I'm looking at Celebrity Northern Europe Capitals, which over-nights in St. Petersburg...like Elizabeth, I could go back to St. Petersburg over and over again....if for no other reason than to have dinner at the Soviet Cafe....hope it's still there!

I'm looking at Celebrity Northern Europe Capitals, which over-nights in St. Petersburg...like Elizabeth, I could go back to St. Petersburg over and over again....if for no other reason than to have dinner at the Soviet Cafe....hope it's still there!

Hydro- Start your planning. There are reviews from as recent as 30 Sept for the Soviet Cafe:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g298507-d3396477-Reviews-Kvartirka_Soviet_Cafe-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

Hydro- Start your planning. There are reviews from as recent as 30 Sept for the Soviet Cafe:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g298507-d3396477-Reviews-Kvartirka_Soviet_Cafe-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

HOORAY!!! The Soviet Cafe is my favorite European restaurant!!! We had a memorable dinner (inexpensive) and spent 4 hours sharing vodka and talk with a young Russian professional couple from Sakhlain Island that were sitting next to us. One of my favorite travel memories!! :D

This may seem a bit strange, but the Jamie Oliver restaurant down the street from the Church on the Spilled Blood was outstanding. Not sure it was 'authentic' but it was sure fabulous! We actually really liked the food in Russia - we were expecting potatoes, cabbage and borscht, but there's so much more. Particularly liked the blinis.

This may seem a bit strange, but the Jamie Oliver restaurant down the street from the Church on the Spilled Blood was outstanding. Not sure it was 'authentic' but it was sure fabulous! We actually really liked the food in Russia - we were expecting potatoes, cabbage and borscht, but there's so much more. Particularly liked the blinis.

Never got to the Jamie Oliver.....couldn't get past the Soviet Cafe!! I agree with you 100%..Russia was the most surprising trip we've taken....it was nothing like what I pictured, which was typical Communist buildings....gray, square, forboding and unattractive. The first thing that surprised me were the colors...the pastels of the buildings in Kiev (Ukraine) reminded me of the Caribbean..and the lush green and the flowers everywhere were amazing. I too liked the food....never thought I would but I loved the borscht and the blinis were to die for weren't they? I wish we could find fruit filled ones here because I would eat them for b-fast,lunch and dinner if they were available! The only dish that I wasn't impressed with was the chicken Kiev....we had it 3 times (not by choice) and each time it was different but boring all 3 times!

Never got to the Jamie Oliver.....couldn't get past the Soviet Cafe!! I agree with you 100%..Russia was the most surprising trip we've taken....it was nothing like what I pictured, which was typical Communist buildings....gray, square, forboding and unattractive. The first thing that surprised me were the colors...the pastels of the buildings in Kiev (Ukraine) reminded me of the Caribbean..and the lush green and the flowers everywhere were amazing. I too liked the food....never thought I would but I loved the borscht and the blinis were to die for weren't they? I wish we could find fruit filled ones here because I would eat them for b-fast,lunch and dinner if they were available! The only dish that I wasn't impressed with was the chicken Kiev....we had it 3 times (not by choice) and each time it was different but boring all 3 times!

Hey there stranger - could you email me when you get some time? I have missed placed your email and have some questions.

Thanks, sorry to interrupt the thread.

Hey there stranger - could you email me when you get some time? I have missed placed your email and have some questions.

Thanks, sorry to interrupt the thread.

Hi Buck...haven't "seen" you in awhile. I tried to e-mail using your instructions, but it didn't work. You can contact me at chydro564@yahoo.com and then I'll give you my personal e-mail. :D