Review of Chichan Nitza excursion

cordd

I took the Chichan Nitza excursion by myself. We sailed on the Carnival Fantasy out of Mobile on 3-20-17.

My ticket was delivered to my stateroom after sailing. I was instructed to meet at 7:45 am in the forward lounge. While waiting in the lounge, the Carnival worker told us we would not be stopping for bathroom breaks (which was wrong).

We were instructed to go down to deck 3 and depart the ship at about 8:30.. We were assigned to a bus by the tour guides. We went directly to our buses and left.

On the ride, our tour guides were very knowledgeable and friendly. I enjoyed traveling through Progresso and Merida, seeing the sights of the towns. The buses are modern and comfortable with a bathroom.

Just prior to arriving at Chichan Itza, we stopped at a tourist stop. It was very clean and nice. We stopped for about 30 minutes to use the bathroom and buy souvenirs. I have been on enough of these excursions in Mexico to know the bus will ALWAYS stop at a tourist shop with bathrooms! we were are also given a sack lunch that consisted of a ham and cheese sandwich, potato chips, an apple and bottled water. I did not eat very much because I would be walking in the heat.

Upon arrival, we were given a small ipod style receiver with ear buds. Our tour guide had a microphone to speak into to talk about the ruins as we walked around. It worked so-so and part of the time I could not hear so well.

At the vistor's center there were many. many tables set up to with people selling souvenirs. I was appalled that within the ruins, more vendors were set up with tables underneath the trees and they would walk up to us during the tour to sell us things.

We are allowed 30 minutes on our own to walk around and take pictures. It is a very interesting place to see.

The salient points:

Plan on taking all day. We got back to ship at 3:00 pm.

I do not recommend taking small children.

PLAN on dealing with the HEAT!!! Take water. It was 85 degress. In the summer the humidity will be very high.

DO listen to the tour guides instruction on meeting back at the bus.

Conclusion: After every cruise, I fall in love with Mexico. I would love to go back as a land tourist and spend more time at Chichan Itza exploring the ruins,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...