Tight "budget" in Turks

beshears

Mitsugirly, thank you for those pictures to check out. Can't hardly wait until the 18th of next month. Actually I am retiring after almost 19 years on the job the 24th of this month. This will be the first time I won't have to worry about going BACK to work as soon as I get off my cruise. :)

Hey, congrats on getting out of the rat race! Enjoy your retirement.:)

Don't recall from Mitsugirly's pictures if she also posted things around the whale statue and John Glen mock-up. But they now have a new-to-me bar/café over there too. Not crowded at all compared to MV. Prices on their boards looked reasonable too in comparison to MV and Jacks.

Restrooms are in the "bomb shelters" cut out on the cliff.

Mitsugirly, thank you for those pictures to check out. Can't hardly wait until the 18th of next month. Actually I am retiring after almost 19 years on the job the 24th of this month. This will be the first time I won't have to worry about going BACK to work as soon as I get off my cruise. :)

You are welcome! Happy retiring cruise to you! How awesome to not have to come back from vacation and worry about returning to work. That's awesome! Enjoy yourself!!! :)

Thank you for your replies, and the congratulations. I think I have put some people in SHOCK, as they say I cannot go, but I plan too. :)

Also thanks for the info about the eating place as well, as we'll try to check this out too.

• 3 weeks later...
Mitsugirly, noticed in your pics that there were floats both at Beach and pool. Did you rent those or are they just the cheap kind that you can just blow up?

The picture of my daughter at the beach is a float that we own. It's like one of those spring loaded floats that you twist and it folds up and you put it in a carrier. When you take it out it pops open and creates a float. It's like a net. It's like this:

SF_FoldingSeries.jpg

The float you seen in the pics at the pool...I have no idea where it came from. I didn't see any place to rent them. I think someone had it and left it. No one was claiming it and it was just floating around the pool and the kids started playing with it.

This is probably one of the (potential) cheapest beaches you will visit in any port. Everything you could possibly want "free" is there from the beach to the pool, to exploring the conch graveyard, seeing the dedication area/statues for John Glenn and so on.

Here's a link to my pictures from our first time there last year (we went a second time as well and rented a golf cart and explored the island and beaches), but it will give you an idea of the area.

Loved your pictures. Thanks for sharing. It looks like fun. I'm potentially traveling (we haven't decided for sure) with my 78 yo mom. We both have issues walking too much. I know I could read the threads, but approximately how far is the walk from the ship to this beach?

Loved your pictures. Thanks for sharing. It looks like fun. I'm potentially traveling (we haven't decided for sure) with my 78 yo mom. We both have issues walking too much. I know I could read the threads, but approximately how far is the walk from the ship to this beach?

Well, I always find the walk from the ship to the actual port to be quite long myself. That's longer than getting to the beach.

This picture doesn't show the entire walkway, but you'll get the idea.

P4080033%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

Then you kind of walk around into the port and then to the beach and down to where you want to go.

P4080043%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Oooh I want to buy one of those floats for our cruise! Can you tell me the brand?

Although I'm sure there are several types and brands out there, mine says Spring Float by Swim Ways on it. I believe you can find them at places like Walmart or Target. I don't remember it costing very much and I liked the fact that it twisted and folded up, had a carrying bag, and fit flat in my suitcase or beach bag (also has a strap of you just want to carry it on your shoulder). I originally bought it for our pool and floating and then it came in handy here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It is amazing ,we have been here 6-7 times and never saw the astronaut stuff which my son would love. While walking down the ramp where do you go for to see?

Also new bar/restaurant?

thanks!

It is amazing ,we have been here 6-7 times and never saw the astronaut stuff which my son would love. While walking down the ramp where do you go for to see?

Also new bar/restaurant?

thanks!

It's to the right. Here's a map:

GrandTurk-L.jpg

Just purchased 2 of those floats yesterday at target , they are $14.99. Can't wait to try them [emoji907][emoji274][emoji225]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are great floats, we have some for our pool. However, do not let them sit in the sun. They dry rot very easily.

Eventually, I will write a report, but I am fighting a bad cough/cold, but I wanted to get on this forum, and add my 2 cents worth.

There were 8 of us, and trying to do something as a group, that is not too expensive, can make a big difference. After everyone was walking around, checking the area out, one son went looking (we did not know this at the time), and low and behold, he was able to get a SUV for us (he driving), for the rest of the day for $100. That was easy for us all to pitch in for that price. Of course, they do not advertise this, as they want more money, and I understand where they are coming from as well.

Here's a link to my pictures from our first time there last year (we went a second time as well and rented a golf cart and explored the island and beaches), but it will give you an idea of the area.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos! Makes me even more excited for our first trip to GT next month. Can I ask if you remember where the big chess set was, and if anyone can play it? My husband has been teaching our daughter to play, and I think she'd get a kick out of it if she really can play with those huge pieces.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos! Makes me even more excited for our first trip to GT next month. Can I ask if you remember where the big chess set was, and if anyone can play it? My husband has been teaching our daughter to play, and I think she'd get a kick out of it if she really can play with those huge pieces.

You're very welcome for the pictures. The big chess set is located to the right (if you are walking down the dock). On the right you'll find the space shuttle/John Glenn stuff and on down the beach area you'll find the chess set and the whale sculpture as well. It's a beautiful area and usually not very many people over that way. Also, most ships have a huge chess set for people to play as well, so she may get some practice before you get to Grand Turk. :D