Galleria Mall - Ft Lauderdale

English_in_Spain

Carol,

I would say that you're 5 or 6 miles away from the Galleria Mall, from where you are staying. I haven't lived in Ft. Lauderdale for quite some time, but I would guess that maybe $12 to $15 each way would be a possible cab fare.

17th Street Causeway is down on the south side of town, near Port Everglades and the airport. The Galleria Mall is located on Sunrise Blvd, near the Intercoastal Waterway, farther north. Both areas are considered good from a tourist perspective. In fact, if you take a cab, I recommend that you have the driver go up A1A, which is the main beach throughfare. This would take you over the 17th St. Causeway bridge, overlooking Port Everglades, past the Bahia Mar Marina, and alongside the ocean up to Sunrise Blvd. Once at Sunrise Blvd., you'll cross another Intercoastal Waterway bridge, and the Galleria Mall will be just a couple more blocks on your left.

Again, both of these areas in Ft. Lauderdale are quite busy, so I cannot imagine that you would have trouble hailing a taxi for the return trip.

Best Wishes!

I would recommend Galleria, much nicer mall and closer to you, Aventura is nice, but nothing like Galleria... However, Galleria is a much more upscale mall (read $$), so if you really plan on buying a lot, you may want to consider adventura (but much further away)...

You may want to play with Google Maps a little, it will show you travel times to and from your hotel, with public transportation routes if you'd like.. To get to galleria, you could take a bus from your hotel right to galleria, and it would take you along A1A (so you could get off at the beach and enjoy some shopping there too, and the bus ride only costs about $1.50 and would only take about 20 minutes..

If you go to google, click on the maps link at the top, you can use these addresses to pull up the specific bus route:

Galleria Fort Lauderdale

2414 East Sunrise Boulevard

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

Embassy Suites Hotel Ft. Lauderdale

1100 Southeast 17th Street

Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316

You can also walk about 5 blocks and get on the water taxi. That will cost you $13 for the entire day. You can get off and on all you want. One of the stops is just across from the mall. Can't remember the name of the hotel.

I will give you a link to the water taxi map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111808212097114498924.0000011303ce7c1b7f0a1&z=13&*****=1

You will get on at the Convention center stop.

hope this helps.

Which mall does the water taxi go to?

How far is 5 blocks?

I am now getting so confused.

I want to buy clothes. I thought that rather than bring some things with me I could buy them there. I see that Aventura has Macy's Pennys & Bloomingdales. I thought they might be good for clothes.

The Water Taxi goes to the Doubletree Gallery One Hotel which is next door to the Galleria Mall. City Bus #40 goes from in front of your hotel to the mall and also returns to your hotel. The Galleria Mall is really nice. They have a very upscale and excellent food court. Also some other nice restaurants.

Can't really say what 5 blocks would be. It isn't that far, and if you don't have trouble walking, you should be just fine. A city block is what we call the sidewalk area between the streets if that makes any sense. It may not even be that long to the water taxi.

Like someone else said, get off at the Doubletree Hotel, and then just go through the hotel and the Galeria mall is across the street. When you are done, just get back on at the same stop. You will also be able to do a lot of sightseeing on the water taxi. It goes past some really lovely mansions and lots of yachts, etc. There are places to stop and eat along the way. We do the water taxi everytime we go to Fort Lauderdale. It is one of our highlights of the trip.

Which mall does the water taxi go to?

How far is 5 blocks?

I am now getting so confused.

I want to buy clothes. I thought that rather than bring some things with me I could buy them there. I see that Aventura has Macy's Pennys & Bloomingdales. I thought they might be good for clothes.

Galleria Mall also has Macy's as well as Neiman Marcus.

One more question if that's ok.

What about Aventura Mall?

Is that nearer or further away?

Which of the 2 would you recommend?

Aventura Mall is further away from your hotel than Galleria Mall. Both malls are very nice, but Galleria would be easier to get to from your hotel either by taxi or by bus. If you take the bus, you will need the #40 bus. Go to: www.broward.org/bct for bus schedules/timetables. Also, Galleria is just a few blocks from the beach.

Lots of great advice here! I didn't expect this thread to get so much attention.

I agree, the Water Taxi is probably the way to go. I haven't actually lived in Ft. Lauderdale since 1974, so the Water Taxi is unfamiliar to me. Thanks to "bill blasters" for posting that awesome link showing the Water Taxi stops.

Here's the Water Taxi website,.....doesn't that look like fun?

Hey guys, about Carol's shopping request,...what about the Coral Ridge Mall? I know it's small, but there used to be a couple good anchor stores in there. It was my teenage hangout back in the early 70's. Does it even still exist? Since the Water Taxi has a stop at Oakland Park Blvd., it's just a healthy walk away, or a 3 minute taxi drive.

Hey guys, about Carol's shopping request,...what about the Coral Ridge Mall? I know it's small, but there used to be a couple good anchor stores in there. It was my teenage hangout back in the early 70's. Does it even still exist? Since the Water Taxi has a stop at Oakland Park Blvd., it's just a healthy walk away, or a 3 minute taxi drive.

Coral Ridge Mall is located at the intersection of Oakland Park Blvd and Federal Highway. Target is the only anchor store. The mall also has Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, Publix supermarket, and Publix liquors. I'm sure it's not the mall it used to be, but I'm sure the OP could find bargains on clothing there.

Coral Ridge Mall is located at the intersection of Oakland Park Blvd and Federal Highway. Target is the only anchor store. The mall also has Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, Publix supermarket, and Publix liquors. I'm sure it's not the mall it used to be, but I'm sure the OP could find bargains on clothing there.

Coral Ridge is really run down and blah. I'm sure the OP would have much better luck at The Galleria.

Coral Ridge is really run down and blah. I'm sure the OP would have much better luck at The Galleria.

There is nothing "run down" at all about Coral Ridge mall, but it is not upscale either. Affluent people shop there all of the time. It is quite a walk from the water taxi, almost a mile. TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Target are there and have discount-priced plus size clothing. Galleria may be a better choice for a bigger selection, and has Macy's and Dillards. Neiman's might carry plus-sizes, but I never noticed.

There is nothing "run down" at all about Coral Ridge mall, but it is not upscale either. Affluent people shop there all of the time. It is quite a walk from the water taxi, almost a mile. TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Target are there and have discount-priced plus size clothing. Galleria may be a better choice for a bigger selection, and has Macy's and Dillards. Neiman's might carry plus-sizes, but I never noticed.

The last time I was there, they were doing major renovations. Maybe that is why I was thinking it was run down. I think it was January 2009.

Thanks again to everyone for all this wonderful information. This is what I love about CC. You can get advice about an area from people who actually live there. I can't think where else I would have got so much local information.

This is not my first time to Ft Lauderdale but I have never been clothes shopping there before. We are doing a b2b2b so will be in Ft Lauderdale 3 times.

If anyone is ever cruising to Alicante (Spain) I would be only too happy to return the favour and answer questions.

The last time I was there, they were doing major renovations. Maybe that is why I was thinking it was run down. I think it was January 2009.

In January 2009, they were rebuilding Target. They eliminated the garden center and put in some grocery and a full service Starbucks. It's really nice with the changes, but they moved the whole store around and I still can't find anything!:D

• 6 years later...
Is it possible to get a sun trolley from galleria mall to Embassey suites on 17 th streets ? Thanks

Why are you digging up a nearly 7 year old thread?

And yes, the Sun Trolley goes to Galleria Mall but nowhere near the Crowne Plaza.

http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/

Edited by Lido_Deck