7 day Eastern Caribbean (Tortola, St.Thomas, CC)

bluelungs

Has anyone completed this cruise on the Fantasy? How did you find the port excursions? Travelling with an almost 2.5yr old.

Curious how the fantasy compares to the Magic experience wise. We sailed concierge on the Magic in Jan/17. Noticed the 1drm configuration is quite different compared to the Magic. Worried it may be challenging to put a crib in for the LO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given that a crib (Pack and Play) fits in a standard cabin on all ships, I can't see why you would have a problem in a concierge cabin. To find the excursions, go to the DCL web site and look up "Port Adventures." There is a drop down for each port--click on those you'll be visiting. Most people have not done more than one excursion per stop per cruise, so comments on each excursion would be very limited. I loved Tortola. We've done St.. Thomas so many times that it is rather "been there, done that." A LOT depends on your selections for the age of the child. St. Thomas has a butterfly farm (easy walking distance from Havensight dock) and Coral World that are particularly child friendly.

Magic vs. Fantasy--we prefer the Magic as it is smaller and much more intimate and friendly. However, in concierge the Fantasy has the advantage that the lounge is near the cabins. And of course, the Fantasy has Remy.

the 1 bedroom on the fantasy is nice.

perhaps not quite as nice as the midship one bedrooms on the magic, but still quite nice and with plenty of room.

not sure why you think the crib wouldn't fit.

how many people are you?

there is a space in the fantasy one bedroom where a murphy bed pulls down - a crib should fit there with no problem at all.

it's a big enough space for a bed - so certainly enough space for a crib.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone completed this cruise on the Fantasy? How did you find the port excursions? Travelling with an almost 2.5yr old.

Curious how the fantasy compares to the Magic experience wise. We sailed concierge on the Magic in Jan/17. Noticed the 1drm configuration is quite different compared to the Magic. Worried it may be challenging to put a crib in for the LO.

Yes, just got off last week. We did the Baths on Virgin Gorda on our own, catching the ferry/taxi special from Speedy's. And in St. Thomas, we rented a car and went to Magen's Bay, Drake's Seat and had lunch at a place in Frenchtown. We were going to shop downtown, but the lunch took too long.

Note to anyone who comes upon this. There IS an Avis office right at Havensight dock. You do NOT need to go to the airport to rent from Avis. Be aware that if you do not fill up the tank, even a tiny bit, they bill you $20.

Given that a crib (Pack and Play) fits in a standard cabin on all ships' date=' I can't see why you would have a problem in a concierge cabin. To find the excursions, go to the DCL web site and look up "Port Adventures." There is a drop down for each port--click on those you'll be visiting. Most people have not done more than one excursion per stop per cruise, so comments on each excursion would be very limited. I loved Tortola. We've done St.. Thomas so many times that it is rather "been there, done that." A LOT depends on your selections for the age of the child. St. Thomas has a butterfly farm (easy walking distance from Havensight dock) and Coral World that are particularly child friendly.

Magic vs. Fantasy--we prefer the Magic as it is smaller and much more intimate and friendly. However, in concierge the Fantasy has the advantage that the lounge is near the cabins. And of course, the Fantasy has Remy.[/quote']

Moki'smommy, could you elaborate on Tortola please? My mom and I are looking at this itinerary for September because Tortola would be a new port for us and we loved St. Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tortola was beautiful. I did the Baths at virgin Gorda--costly but worth it. There are 2 paths from the parking lot to the beaches. I took the one to the left which I believe was supposedly shorter but steeper. It went to the "less developed" beach. The 2 beaches connect thru the baths. There were only about a dozen people at "our" beach, all from the ship and including one CM and his mother. It was a beautiful cove, warm, mild waves, just super swimming. The baths themselves were a fun exploration (they are basically rock formations that you can swim thru). I didn't go all the way thru to the other beach, so can't comment on that. At the appropriate time we assembled at the restaurant at the top by the parking lot where a non-alcoholic beverage was included and then back to the ship (vehicle then boat). You can do this excursion independently as well.

The town by the dock was clean and felt very safe. It was similar to many other island towns that cater to tourists, but it didn't feel like "cheap tourist trap" place. They don't get nearly as many ships as some other ports, and were very welcoming to us. I didn't do an excursion on Tortola proper since I went to Virgin Gorda. I just walked around a little and explored the town, then went back to the ship.

What I liked about it--first, great excursion. Secondly, clean, neat, safe feeling town. The shop keepers were not at all pushy; there were no people on the streets trying to get your attention for anything. If you wanted a taxi, you went to the taxi area by the port. People were friendly but not at all pushy.

LOVE the Baths! I flew down to St. Thomas a couple years ago and spent a week on the island and did a private boat charter from ST. Thomas to Virgin Gorda just to do the Baths. I didn't regret it a bit, and yes, the locals are very nice and not pushy. The water at Spring Bay and Devil's Bay was some of the most crystal clear water I've ever seen, and I've seen some pretty clear Caribbean water! Hahaha Going to the Baths is a definitely an experience because it's unique following the trail and climbing through the giant boulders to end up on the beach. It definitely did not feel like a touristy type place at all.

Tortola was beautiful. I did the Baths at virgin Gorda--costly but worth it. There are 2 paths from the parking lot to the beaches. I took the one to the left which I believe was supposedly shorter but steeper. It went to the "less developed" beach. The 2 beaches connect thru the baths.

The path to the left at the top was the long "gradual" path, while the one to the right is the steeper, shorter one. Note to others - supposedly, the path through the rocks is "one way" . We initially went to the left, and through the rocks to the beach on the "right". When we went to go back through the rocks, a tour guide annoyingly stopped us and kept saying it was one way and we shouldn't go back through. So we went all the way up and back down the left path to the other side. Tiring. On the way, we passed a crew hauling up an older woman on a stretcher who had somehow broke her ankle on the path.