3 day cruise on the dream. First time for DCL

808cruisef

This will be our first cruise with DCL and we are doing a 3 day Bahama. I would recommendations and advice. The youngest in our group is 15, so no advice needed for young kid related stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My #1 piece of advice for first time cruisers is: Relax, and don't try to do everything.

You can't, and it'll just stress you out.

I'd also suggest that you skip the adult dining for your first cruise and check out the various dining rooms. You can always skip one of them on a subsequent cruise, if you want.

Best food

Well, again, that's hard to say. As each dining room has it's own menu. And the kitchen staff is under the same chef for all dining rooms.

You can check out menus here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

I really have no complaints about any of the Disney food. In all our cruises I've only had to separate plates (courses) that I didn't care for. That's a pretty good track record. Of course, I'm not particularly a "foodie". As long as the food isn't raw or burned, I'm good.

You will rotate thru all 3 MDRs, eating in a different one each night. Since you are on such a short cruise, you will be served the "signature menu" in each dining room. You will only have 2 1/2 days on this cruise and only one decent port (Castaway Cay). Your entire group is welcome to participate in any "family" activities and your daughter can choose teen activities as well if she wishes.

Nassau is not a very nice port (my opinion only). Since you'll have so little time on the ship, I'd be tempted to remain on board and enjoy the ship during that stop. The activity schedule in the evenings will be packed as they try to schedule all the most popular events and cram them all into the 2 1/2 days. For example, you will have a main stage show, dinner, and pirate night all in one evening. You won't have the variety acts as there is simply no time for them.

Your 15 year old may want to exclude herself after she finds all the fun things to do. Lol

I like the food at the Royal Palace best because it has the escargot I love to eat. I ask for it in each dining room even though they only officially offer it in the RP. But the atmosphere is most fun at the Animator's Palate because it is interactive. IMHO. If you're a family that likes to takes advantage of the free soda on the 11th deck, don't pay for it in your stateroom room service order. You can go grab a few cups before they bring the food to your room. Mickey bars are free in room service even though they aren't on the menu. If you want to try the Aquaduck (I am assuming you're going on the Dream), choose to go first thing in the morning. You will get to ride it twice in 30 minutes more than likely. If you get lost remember to look at the carpet in your hallway. The stars with the single point at the top faces forward and the two points at the bottom of the star will point you in the direction of aft. Goto the spa raffle if you want a discount on services. Even if you don't win, they send a coupon to your room for 10% off (or something close to that) spa services. The spa raffle is 2:30 the day you board. Make sure you sign up for the free 50 mb of internet minutes before midnight on the first day. As long as you use it sparingly, that should get you through the weekend. If you didn't get a balcony, see if you can upgrade. It's so worth it! Especially if you don't want to be in the crowds on pirate night. If your room is starboard usually you can enjoy the fireworks from your balcony. :) Have a blast! We usually stay on the ship when they are in port at Nassau. The only reason to get off is to goto the Starbucks, unless you have an excursion. Speaking of excursions, we don't like water excursions so we choose the dry ones. :) our favorites were the chocolate making excursion at Graycliffs chocolatier and the botanical gardens with the Flamingo show. Have a blast!

Your 15 year old may want to exclude herself after she finds all the fun things to do. Lol

I like the food at the Royal Palace best because it has the escargot I love to eat. I ask for it in each dining room even though they only officially offer it in the RP. But the atmosphere is most fun at the Animator's Palate because it is interactive. IMHO. If you're a family that likes to takes advantage of the free soda on the 11th deck, don't pay for it in your stateroom room service order. You can go grab a few cups before they bring the food to your room. Mickey bars are free in room service even though they aren't on the menu. If you want to try the Aquaduck (I am assuming you're going on the Dream), choose to go first thing in the morning. You will get to ride it twice in 30 minutes more than likely. If you get lost remember to look at the carpet in your hallway. The stars with the single point at the top faces forward and the two points at the bottom of the star will point you in the direction of aft. Goto the spa raffle if you want a discount on services. Even if you don't win, they send a coupon to your room for 10% off (or something close to that) spa services. The spa raffle is 2:30 the day you board. Make sure you sign up for the free 50 mb of internet minutes before midnight on the first day. As long as you use it sparingly, that should get you through the weekend. If you didn't get a balcony, see if you can upgrade. It's so worth it! Especially if you don't want to be in the crowds on pirate night. If your room is starboard usually you can enjoy the fireworks from your balcony. :) Have a blast! We usually stay on the ship when they are in port at Nassau. The only reason to get off is to goto the Starbucks, unless you have an excursion. Speaking of excursions, we don't like water excursions so we choose the dry ones. :) our favorites were the chocolate making excursion at Graycliffs chocolatier and the botanical gardens with the Flamingo show. Have a blast!

Thank you. Great info

Be sure to order the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes appetizer in Animators Palette. They are amazing. BTW, we have 2 teens, 15 and 17 and they love love love DCL.

Thank you. She was a little worried that there wouldn't be any other teens. We were just on a 14 day cruise and she and her friend that joined us were 2 of 4 teens on the ship. We never saw the other two.

We did a 14 night cruise on the Magic that had a total of 14 teens--great group.

There is a HUGE difference between a 14 night cruise and a 3 night cruise--most high school kids can't take 2 weeks off for an extended cruise! There will be tons of teen on the Dream.

Thank you. She was a little worried that there wouldn't be any other teens. We were just on a 14 day cruise and she and her friend that joined us were 2 of 4 teens on the ship. We never saw the other two.

From all I've heard, the best thing for her to do is get to the first night at the Vibe because that is when the groups tend to form.

Both the Vibe and the Edge (tween space) have info sessions on the first night, usually about 10 pm (check your navigator). As noted, this is when they tend to start making friends, etc. They also get a say in which activities they'd like to see on the schedule, although my daughter says this is bunk--they get to voice an opinion but the schedule is already made according to her. They are also introduced to the "any time you want" activities that are available. Participation the first night is not mandatory, but goes a long way toward a good experience for the rest of the cruise.

You are also welcome to go to the Vibe area any time the first afternoon to "confirm participation." They have a list of eligible kids and you just make sure that the name is spelled right and the cabin number hasn't changed. You can look around and meet one of the YAC staff at that time.

You will rotate thru all 3 MDRs' date=' eating in a different one each night. Since you are on such a short cruise, you will be served the "signature menu" in each dining room. You will only have 2 1/2 days on this cruise and only one decent port (Castaway Cay). Your entire group is welcome to participate in any "family" activities and your daughter can choose teen activities as well if she wishes.

Nassau is not a very nice port (my opinion only). Since you'll have so little time on the ship, I'd be tempted to remain on board and enjoy the ship during that stop. The activity schedule in the evenings will be packed as they try to schedule all the most popular events and cram them all into the 2 1/2 days. For example, you will have a main stage show, dinner, and pirate night all in one evening. You won't have the variety acts as there is simply no time for them.[/quote']

so they don't have the pirate menu at all on the 3 night?

i'm happy to hear that!! :)

so they don't have the pirate menu at all on the 3 night?

i'm happy to hear that!! :)

Unless things have changed in the last month or so, they have pirate night, but they don't serve the pirate menu. And just so you know, there were some minor changes made to the pirate menu recently. You are correct--no pirate menu on a 3 night cruise.