Yogurts to go?

smheese

We are doing a charter boat on our STT stop and need some snacks to hold us till lunch, as it's a very early start time. Assuming we eat in the breakfast buffet before we get off the boat, are there yogurt cups there that can be grabbed to go with plastic spoons? I can never seem to get my kids to eat enough that early in the morning and surely they'll complain of hunger as soon as we step foot on the charter boat. :')

Thanks!

There are single serve yogurt cups at the buffet. They also have individual serving dry cereals. DCL does not technically "allow" you to take food off the ship as they cannot assure safe storage, correct temperatures, etc. but they don't check bags. For instance, if you try to order unopened PB&Js from room service, they will tell you that it isn't permitted.

Each port has laws regarding what can or cannot be brought off, but in general, commercially packaged, unopened items are allowed. You can also bring ONTO the DCL ship essentially what you wish in the commercially packaged items--granola bars, etc. make good excursion snacks.

A hint--as soon as I informed child that she would have to carry her own "must have" stuff, it became a lot less necessary. As long as mom was willing to be the pack mule, she "needed" stuff. For instance, her beverage of choice is Diet Dr. Pepper, and I used to bring a 12 pack on the cruise for her. When she had to carry it, Diet Coke was a "just fine" substitute. Same for food on excursions--suddenly she was able to eat breakfast and survive until lunch or carry her own munchies. Also, realize that you may need to carry any trash for a while until a proper disposal location is available--you might want a plastic bag if your stuff is messy.

Edited by moki'smommy

If it's sealed, prepackaged, you can take it off....you cannot take fruits, veggies, meats or cheeses off the ship...against the law in every country.

Ports vary--on one of the Mexican ports (DCL, Mexican Riviera cruise) they the Mexican authorities inspected bags as we left the ship and confiscated ALL food and beverage items, including unopened bottles of water! There were signs up advising us that no food or drink could be taken off the ship. I think it was their way of "encouraging" us to support their local economy with more than our port charges.

You cannot take UNPROCESSED agricultural items into any US port of entry. Similar regulations apply elsewhere. I haven't verified the laws of "every" country.

I've put sealed cereal in my bag before from the buffet and no one has said anything to me. Do not take fruit or anything naturally grown. That is a big no-no.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can take any food that you wish from the buffet. The CMs don't know if it is going back to your cabin fridge or what you plan to do with it. No one will question anything you take from the food areas. The problem comes with taking it off the ship. St. Thomas is a US port, so the US agriculture rules apply. They are strict--I once unthinkingly took a mug of iced tea with a lemon wedge. They had no problem with the tea, but I had to fish out the lemon and surrender that! If you see a dog as you exit the ship, they are likely to be sniffing for things that you can't bring in.

You can take any food that you wish from the buffet. The CMs don't know if it is going back to your cabin fridge or what you plan to do with it. No one will question anything you take from the food areas. The problem comes with taking it off the ship. St. Thomas is a US port' date=' so the US agriculture rules apply. They are strict--I once unthinkingly took a mug of iced tea with a lemon wedge. They had no problem with the tea, but I had to fish out the lemon and surrender that! If you see a dog as you exit the ship, they are likely to be sniffing for things that you can't bring in.[/quote']

Thanks! Good to know as I always drink lemon water. I'm familiar with the produce sniffing dogs. They snagged me at Dulles Airport coming back from Grand Cayman with an apple in my baby bag that I brought from the U.S., they took it away and said they needed to destroy it, I couldn't even throw it in the trash!

Sometimes the rules seem a little much--I get the concept of not bringing in insects or agricultural diseases to the US, but when you have a ship that purchases goods from the US, departs from the US, and goes to another US port with no "out of country" stops in between, it seems a bit excessive. Still, better safe than introducing something horrible into the system, I guess.

Invasive species rules still apply. There are some pests in FL that would cause havok in CA and vice versa, as one example.

Sometimes the rules seem a little much--I get the concept of not bringing in insects or agricultural diseases to the US' date=' but when you have a ship that purchases goods from the US, departs from the US, and goes to another US port with no "out of country" stops in between, it seems a bit excessive. Still, better safe than introducing something horrible into the system, I guess.[/quote']

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

those little boxes of cereal are your best bet...

yogurt can be terribly messy and some countries do not allow milk products ...

we carry water and a few serving size boxes of plain cheerios, if they have it...

plain is best, as anything with sugar will be messier to eat..