Star Princess denied entry to Ushuaia over Falklands dispute

Scrapchick

We are on the Star and were due in Ushuaia today after two days at sea since leaving Stanley, Falkland Islands. Last night we were told a container ship was in our berth and its crew were on strike so we could be delayed arriving in Ushuaia. At 7AM this morning the captain announced we were being denied entry to Ushuaia, along with the P&O Adonia, because both ships had come from the Falklands. Argentina refused to let either ship dock because they refuse to accept British sovereignty over the Falklands and we have just visited the islands.

So we are doing some more scenic cruising and heading for Punta Arenas tomorrow, and Ushuaia can kiss goodbye to a few hundred thousand dollars of tourist revenue and quite a bit of goodwill.

Hope it was worth it, Argentina....

We are on the Star and were due in Ushuaia today after two days at sea since leaving Stanley, Falkland Islands. Last night we were told a container ship was in our berth and its crew were on strike so we could be delayed arriving in Ushuaia. At 7AM this morning the captain announced we were being denied entry to Ushuaia, along with the P&O Adonia, because both ships had come from the Falklands. Argentina refused to let either ship dock because they refuse to accept British sovereignty over the Falklands and we have just visited the islands.

So we are doing some more scenic cruising and heading for Punta Arenas tomorrow, and Ushuaia can kiss goodbye to a few hundred thousand dollars of tourist revenue and quite a bit of goodwill.

Hope it was worth it, Argentina....

Sorry to hear this. I just looked back at my notes from our Star Princess cruise last February. I knew we had been to both, but I see that we were in Ushuaia before Stanley. I wonder if this is something new or if its been going on for some time. :confused:

This is very sad. We were on the Star Princess on the Venice to Valparaiso cruise and on 12/31/2011 we stopped at Stanley and did a penguin excursion. As we left Stanley we were amazed to see large Argentinean minefields fenced off with scary warning signs. They seemed to go on forever. Our driver said everyone knows where the Argentinean minefields are located and the land is not needed but they are the undetectable plastic mines that cannot be safely removed. If I had to live next to an Argentinean minefield I would certainly dislike and never want to be ruled by Argentina. I guess fortunately we were allowed to dock at Ushuaia so we can say we have been to Tierra Del Fuego. But this turn of events is very disappointing.:mad:

We are currently on the Star we were to stop in Ushuaia today but because of political protest and because we stopped in the Falklands two days ago a group has occupied the berth at which we were to dock causing us and the Atonia (sorry of the name, believe it is the P&O Atonia - our old Royal) from stopping.

Instead Captain is taking us thru Glacier Alley at a snails pace so we all can enjoy the beautiful scenery and numerous Glaciers during the day. Sun is shining, it is around 5C but the views are to die for.

Hello Melanie

When we were in USHUAIA It took us forever to tender .The authorities wanted more $$$ from Princess for using the docks for tendering THey only allowed 1 at a time With 2000= pax it took FOREVER

It took me half a day to get off It was SOOOO frustrating AS a result missed our excursion to the Andes Did pick one up on shore for Beagle Channel It was POURING BUCKETS that day It was one very very very WET day ..

I bought an agenda in USHUAIA ...It had pictures of the place ...with beautiful mountains in the background ...never saw them...never even knew they were there Everything was in clouds ...I laughed at that picture ..who knew the ANDES were RIGHT there!!!!!

WE had such crappy weather the year we went I never saw the ANDES ...always behind clouds OUr trip was a DUD because of the weather and storm after storm WE basically missed it all.

Such is life

Michele

We were unable to leave Ushuaia because of strong winds and then had a wonderful day cruising glacier alley, is Joe the guide still on board with wonderful commentary all day, have a wonderful cruise.

There was then an earthquake in Santiago and we finished up going back to Buenos Aires on a half empty Star!

Sue

Vickie, so sorry to hear that you missed Ushuaia. We were on the cruise just before your's and it was surprising to see so many signs up about how the Falklands are the "Maldives". Having very political signs up at the docks and in town isn't that smart of a thing to do when the town depends so much upon tourists. Those did upset many of the British passengers on our cruise, some of whom chose not to buy anything in town. The protesters are hurting the livelihoods of others in town, it is just so sad. I'm glad you are enjoying the glaciers though as it was one of the highlights of our trip. I wonder if they will spend more time in Punta Arenas or are they will add another port (Puerto Montt??). Have fun!

Julie

We were unable to leave Ushuaia because of strong winds and then had a wonderful day cruising glacier alley, is Joe the guide still on board with wonderful commentary all day, have a wonderful cruise.

Sue

Joe May was still on board as of the last cruise and we had him on the TV while going through glacier alley. We loved his advice on the ports.

Julie

Thanks Vickie for the update - I am doing the Grand's South American cruise next year and have been following you on your blog - so hopefully by next year the political protests will have subsided because we too do the Falklands first.

Cheers

Dennis

Just posted a response to Vickie but your comments about losing tourism dollars is spot on. We were on the cruise before your's so we visited the Falklands after Ushuaia. There were several signs up in Ushuaia including at the port about the Falklands always being part of the Maldives and that alone cost them some tourist dollars from folks who were irked by the political messages while they were supposed to be on vacation. Enjoy the glaciers and the rest of the trip!

Julie

Vickie, so sorry to hear that you missed Ushuaia. We were on the cruise just before your's and it was surprising to see so many signs up about how the Falklands are the "Maldives". Having very political signs up at the docks and in town isn't that smart of a thing to do when the town depends so much upon tourists. Those did upset many of the British passengers on our cruise, some of whom chose not to buy anything in town. The protesters are hurting the livelihoods of others in town, it is just so sad. I'm glad you are enjoying the glaciers though as it was one of the highlights of our trip. I wonder if they will spend more time in Punta Arenas or are they will add another port (Puerto Montt??). Have fun!

Julie

Argentina calls them the Malvinas. The Maldives are in the Indian Ocean near India.

Joe May was still on board as of the last cruise and we had him on the TV while going through glacier alley. We loved his advice on the ports.

Julie

We've had occasion to cruise with Joe May several times, in IMO he's the best in this area. I hope he's on our Grand cruise next year (the biggie). Joe told us twice he was retiring and I'm afraid one day he might do it.

Under these circumstances it would seem logical to complete the itinerary of Argentina ports before proceeding to Port Stanley thereby avoiding the conflicts

If you look at a map this is not possible. It we be like if you were driving from New York to LA and say you have to visit Denver before your stop in Chiicago.

For cruises heading west to east this is OK but not those going east to west.

Had Joe May on my two SA cruises and he is really knowledgeable about the area.

Under these circumstances it would seem logical to complete the itinerary of Argentina ports before proceeding to Port Stanley thereby avoiding the conflicts

As Princess is turning around in B.A next year, it may make them have to cancel their trip to the Falklands if the Argies keep being akward.

I was also disappointed initially that we were not stopping at Ushaia but the Captain more than made up for it by taking it very slowly by the glaciers and turning around 360 degrees so both sides of the ship could see them. The melting glacier (can't remember the name) and the flowing river were spectacular. I'm happy but I do feel sorry for the people who lost a lot of tourist dollars today.

Sorry to hear this....we did the Star last year from Santiago to Fort Lauderdale...stopped at Ushauia then headed to the Falklands. Both were unique experiences and would have been sorry to miss either. The Star docked right in town in Ushauia, but we did have to tender in the Falklands....Guess the battle over the islands is still alive and brewing:o

Appreciate hearing your updates...

I was also disappointed initially that we were not stopping at Ushaia but the Captain more than made up for it by taking it very slowly by the glaciers and turning around 360 degrees so both sides of the ship could see them. The melting glacier (can't remember the name) and the flowing river were spectacular. I'm happy but I do feel sorry for the people who lost a lot of tourist dollars today.

The melting glacier is Romanche. It was great that Captain Perrin allowed folks on both sides to see the glaciers. On our cruise we only went through once, but we were fortunate enough to have our cabin on the correct (port) side, so we could warm up in our cabin between glaciers. By the way, we enjoyed the Falklands more than Ushuaia, but it was the penguins that were the main event for us. (Magdalena Island off Punta Arenas was also great for penguins.) If the problems in Ushuaia persist, I'm wondering if they will eventually be dropped as a port.

Julie

Joe and Captain Perrin called it the Italian Glacier, it is the staff captains favorite glacier.

I have to agree this morning at breakfast many were upset about missing Ushuaia but this afternoon in the Horizon court all I heard was great things the Glacier Alley cruising.

for someone else who commented, if we would of been going the other way and stopped at the Falklands then Buenos Aries I am sure BA would of protested and denied us as when we were there prior to go to the Falklands there were protestors at the pier.

I know that Princess Cruise Lines did all they could to remedy the situation but were not successful.

There were numerous passengers that were suppose to get off today and numerous passengers getting on today in Ushuaia, they were really the ones inconvenienced.

Well off to shower and get ready for a lovely meal in the Crown Grill, we figured since we missed Ushuaia we should treat ourselves.

Other than this hiccup the cruise is going GREAT, over 1100 passengers are staying on in Valpariaso to San Francisco for the entire 30 days, including Bernie and I. I am blogging about our voyage.

Vickie

Archived