Quick question on black tie nights

TinyDancer12

Hi,

It's a silly question and I wish I could remember, but when do you find out when the actual nights are for the black ties?

We want to book a table in one of the speciality restaurants before we sail, but want to ensure it is on the black tie night.

We aren't sailing until May, and I can't find any information on the cruise personaliser yet.

Thanks. :-)

It's not a silly question we are doing TA on Azura in March, there are four formal evenings but can't find out when they are.

The first one will probably be the first day after boarding. The last one will probably be the second to last day, the last day being packing.

However no idea when the other two will be, except if you have sea days they will normally be on a sea day or a port that leaves early.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Edited by mygo1999

Thanks.

I am sure there is a way to find out beforehand as last year I booked a table on a specific date as I had read it somewhere. Maybe it was because it was only a 3-nighter so the middle night was bound to be the black tie. Must try and keep an eye out. :-)

You won't know until you get on board. There are ways of guessing but you can't be sure - usually the second night, especially if it's a sea day will be the first formal evening. The rest are usually on sea days and there is rarely one on the final night. However, even when you see which nights have been allocated once on board this can change if there's bad weather for instance. Sometimes we've had a formal night postponed until the next night because of the number of passengers who were unwell - this was going up the North Sea to the Fjords one July.

Thanks.

I am sure there is a way to find out beforehand as last year I booked a table on a specific date as I had read it somewhere. Maybe it was because it was only a 3-nighter so the middle night was bound to be the black tie. Must try and keep an eye out. :-)

P&O used to provide information about the specific days for formal nights (although this was subject to change), but have now stopped doing it. They will only tell you how many per cruise. You don't find out until the night before when you receive the Horizon newsletter.

annieuk posted as I was writing and I can only echo what she says - usually first (and other) sea days and rarely the final night, although on our last cruise it was, because the last night was New Year's Eve.

P&O used to provide information about the specific days for formal nights (although this was subject to change), but have now stopped doing it. They will only tell you how many per cruise. You don't find out until the night before when you receive the Horizon newsletter.

annieuk posted as I was writing and I can only echo what she says - usually first (and other) sea days and rarely the final night, although on our last cruise it was, because the last night was New Year's Eve.

In the folder in your cabin that has the room service menu, breakfast room service card etc, there will be an Horizon. This tells you what the dress codes are for the whole cruise. As others have said though they are subject to change.

In the folder in your cabin that has the room service menu, breakfast room service card etc, there will be an Horizon. This tells you what the dress codes are for the whole cruise. As others have said though they are subject to change.

We had the folder, but the only dress code info was 4 formal, 10 smart casual, not the nights on which formal dress would be required. Thus we didn't know until the evening of 30 December that NYE was formal/casual, i.e. casual was available for those (like us) disembarking on New Year's Day. Although it was a pain as far as packing was concerned, there was no way I wasn't going to go formal for NYE - I'd got a new dress to wear, for Heaven's sake! :D

We had the folder, but the only dress code info was 4 formal, 10 smart casual, not the nights on which formal dress would be required. Thus we didn't know until the evening of 30 December that NYE was formal/casual, i.e. casual was available for those (like us) disembarking on New Year's Day. Although it was a pain as far as packing was concerned, there was no way I wasn't going to go formal for NYE - I'd got a new dress to wear, for Heaven's sake! :D

We were on Aurora 5-19/12/15 and Oh fished it out and put it on the wall for the duration of the cruise, so I knew what I should be wearing each evening.

I wonder why we had that and you didn't. Could it be a ship thing

I found it a week or so ago for our cruise in the Advice Centre somewhere (I think) but cannot find it now to talk you through it. The restaurant will know which are the formal nights when you go to book so ask them, is the best advice - if they don't know ask for the Spa as the salon will definitely know!! Bon voyage!

On Ventura it was on the interactive TV. It had a list of dress codes for each night and also which was black & white etc. Can't remember what subject it came under but there isn't that many up there so not too hard to find.

We were on Aurora 5-19/12/15 and Oh fished it out and put it on the wall for the duration of the cruise, so I knew what I should be wearing each evening.

I wonder why we had that and you didn't. Could it be a ship thing

Indeed, or just a steward thing, as the people on the table next to us in the MDR seemed to have info. in their cabin that we didn't.

It's not a silly question we are doing TA on Azura in March, there are four formal evenings but can't find out when they are.

The first one will probably be the first day after boarding. The last one will probably be the second to last day, the last day being packing.

However no idea when the other two will be, except if you have sea days they will normally be on a sea day or a port that leaves early.

Hiya. I was just reading your question about formal evenings on Azura and noticed that you were in the Navy from 1972-1978 and that one of your drafts was on Monkton. My hubby was buffer of the Monkton, sailing her out from Plymouth in the first week of January 1972. I joined him in Hong Kong in May, one day after the ship arrived. We were just wondering whether you were on Monkton between 1982-1974 and if so, who you are!! If this is the case you could contact me on nanniejean@icloud.com. If not, just let us know via these boards. Cheers Jean S

Hiya. I was just reading your question about formal evenings on Azura and noticed that you were in the Navy from 1972-1978 and that one of your drafts was on Monkton. My hubby was buffer of the Monkton, sailing her out from Plymouth in the first week of January 1972. I joined him in Hong Kong in May, one day after the ship arrived. We were just wondering whether you were on Monkton between 1982-1974 and if so, who you are!! If this is the case you could contact me on nanniejean@icloud.com. If not, just let us know via these boards. Cheers Jean S

Hi Jean.

Nice to hear from you. I was on HMS Monkton from 1975 to 1976 so just after your hubby. That would have been a great trip taking her out to Hong Kong.

I was REM on her and I must say it is my favourite ship from when I was in the Navy. I loved Hong Kong, I suppose partly because I met my wife there, but I loved it before I even met her. I have a few photos of HMS Monkton I will send them to your email.

Regards

Garry

Edited by mygo1999

Hi Jean.

Nice to hear from you. I was on HMS Monkton from 1975 to 1976 so just after your hubby. That would have been a great trip taking her out to Hong Kong.

I was REM on her and I must say it is my favourite ship from when I was in the Navy. I loved Hong Kong, I suppose partly because I met my wife there, but I loved it before I even met her. I have a few photos of HMS Monkton I will send them to your email.

Regards

Garry

WHEN YOU GET INTO your cabin and get all the Cruise info there is an OVERVIEW which tells you when all the Formal nights are and whether or not it is Black/White